PDA

View Full Version : It's Vortex Season in MN!!!!!!

Patrick Doody
03-30-2010, 12:08 PM
It was just a few short months ago, that a friend and I took a spindle turning class, I knew it was something that he had wanted to do for some time, and I had quite a bit of interest in it too, mainly because I had been given a small metal lathe and wanted to do a little wood turning on it(6 inch swing, that's where this all started). So my Delta 46-460 should be here anyday and after a few months on the harbour freight lathe, my friend's new stubby should be arriving in a few weeks.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:eek:

Full report forthcoming.

Dennis Peacock
03-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Thread moved at your request sir. :D

Happy Turning.!!!!

Steve Schlumpf
03-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Looking forward to seeing photos of your new lathe and some of your work!

Paul Williams
03-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Welcome Patrick. I am just south of you in inver Grove Heights. I turned small wood projects for many years on a 6 inch Craftsman/Atlas metal lathe. My Delta 460 arrived as a christmas present. It is a great improvement. You will enjoy using the metal lathe to make things for your wood lathe. If you need some maple, I willbe cutting down several large silver maple trees later this year.

Patrick Doody
03-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Hey Paul, Nice to meet you, it seems we have the exact 2 same lathes. my metal lathe is also an old craftsman/atlas 618 I'm still working on cleaning it up and restoring it. Almost done on that one, I have no idea how to work that thing.

I will take you up on that maple. I'm probably going to get some Oak and maybe some birch this summer so perhaps we can have an exchange of sorts.

Jeff Nicol
03-30-2010, 7:42 PM
Welcome Patrick. I am just south of you in inver Grove Heights. I turned small wood projects for many years on a 6 inch Craftsman/Atlas metal lathe. My Delta 460 arrived as a christmas present. It is a great improvement. You will enjoy using the metal lathe to make things for your wood lathe. If you need some maple, I willbe cutting down several large silver maple trees later this year.
Paul, My daughter and husband live in Inver Grove Heights too! My wife is up there right now watching our new grandson of 3 months. It is not to far to go from Eau claire and it give me and excuse to go to Woodcraft, 7 Corners and Rockler while I am up there. Might be able to drop in and see what is happening with you and Patrick sometime this summer.

Have a great night,

Jeff

Bill Bolen
03-30-2010, 8:05 PM
Congrat's on the new lathe! Sure wish my best friend was gettin a new Stubby! I'd be over there helping a lot...Bill..

John Keeton
03-30-2010, 8:32 PM
Congrats to you - and, to your neighbor!! I bet he will want to come over and turn on your Delta.;)

Paul Williams
03-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Patrick, pm me if you need any help with locating parts for your metal lathe. I went through that several years ago. I suspect the suppliers are still there. You will find you never buy a bushing for pen turning or an off center chuck for pendants with that metal lathe sitting there. It is also great for truing up the ends of pen blanks after you insert the tube.

Jeff, you are welcome anytime. Especially after I order a steady rest. You could save me the postage. I'm not into anything big enough to require one at this time, but can see this vortex has a way of sucking you in.

I spend most of my time remodeling the house. Woodworking of late has been making things requested by my kids for their homes. Turning is a nice break, but I don't get to spend enough time at it. That should really change once the house is done and I can set up a more permanent home for my lathe.

Bernie Weishapl
03-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Congrats Patrick. Sounds like you will be turning soon.

Doug W Swanson
03-30-2010, 11:44 PM
Hey Patrick and Paul,

I live just north of St Paul in Vadnais Heights. I've been turning for about 2 years now but I just wish I had more time to turn. Once I finish my basement woodshop hopefully I can make more time!

Paul, I would also be interested in some silver maple. I'd even be willing to help you cut it up.

Keep up posted if there is ever a gathering! Heck, I might even be willing to host one once my shop is done.

Are you members of the Minnesota Woodturners Association? I joined about a year ago and its a great club. It's $25/yr and they have an informative meeting every month with 3-4 professional demonstrations each year.

Doug

Jeff Nicol
03-31-2010, 6:19 AM
Patrick, pm me if you need any help with locating parts for your metal lathe. I went through that several years ago. I suspect the suppliers are still there. You will find you never buy a bushing for pen turning or an off center chuck for pendants with that metal lathe sitting there. It is also great for truing up the ends of pen blanks after you insert the tube.

Jeff, you are welcome anytime. Especially after I order a steady rest. You could save me the postage. I'm not into anything big enough to require one at this time, but can see this vortex has a way of sucking you in.

I spend most of my time remodeling the house. Woodworking of late has been making things requested by my kids for their homes. Turning is a nice break, but I don't get to spend enough time at it. That should really change once the house is done and I can set up a more permanent home for my lathe.
Paul, No problem with the steady rest, I never need to many excuses to goof off and meet some nice fellow turners!

Jeff

Paul Williams
03-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Doug, I plan to attend the April meeting of the MN woodturners. Have not joined yet. Just learned about the club from a fellow creeker last month. Perhaps we have enough turners in town to have are own little get together, although that is probably what the club is all about. I'll post when I get ready to take down the maple trees. Would like to see the wood go to people who will use it. When I cleared land for a garage addition half of the wood sat on the ground until it rotted. I thought I could use it all, but either I'm too slow or there was just too much wood. I planted these trees myself and have never put nails into them. We do tap for maple syurp but that effects a very small part of the tree.

Patrick Doody
03-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Yeah It would be great to meet up with all of you guys this summer, Jeff I live about a mile away from 7 corners, now that is a hardware store!

I'm Planning on Joining up with the MWTA this summer.

Paul, I think i'm pretty well stocked up with parts for that craftsman, I have all of the gears and chucks and everything you could imagine and then some. It even came with the original manuals in excellent condition. I'm excited to get everything setup and working, both the wood and metal lathe. One of the projects in the to do list is a wooden block and tackle for deercamp, seems like a project for both the wood and metal lathe. I'm sure i will contact you for some metal lathe questions if you don't mind.

Bill Wilcox
03-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Hey Pat, welcome to the creek!!!! I live on the East side of the TwinCities on the St. Croix Creek in Hudson, WI. I am also considering going to the April meeting. It would be nice to meet some fellow turners who are in the area. I have a real good friend who lives in St. Paul not far from 7 corners. At least once a week we meet up at the Golden Leaf for a cigar and a pipe and discuss wood, straight razors and the like. If you would like to join us sometime, give me a PM.
Bill Wilcox

Patrick Doody
04-15-2010, 9:54 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4522701793_de854cb002.jpg
well finally I got my lathe and all the goodies, you can see the delta variable speed grinder in the background. woodcraft didn't have any more slow speed grinders so i had to upgrade to the Delta, seems nice but i'll probably have to upgrade one of the wheels.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4520362665_03c170b8a4.jpg

Also my friend got the stubby in and I helped him put it together the other night, we spun up a hefty blank and it was incredibly smooth, very interesting design.

I think we're both going to be happy with our Lathes, I still have to get the extension bed figured out, I attempted to set it up but it seemed like it was twisted... it wouldn't mate up properly with the lathe, but i'm looking at the stand and seeing if that's not setup properly. the stand has too many parts and too many places where it could be off a little.

anyone else have problems setting up their extension bed on a 46-460? I'm not impressed with Delta's instruction manuals. I'm usually not one to read manuals, but i could use some direction on leveling the bed and their manuals are lacking. I'm glad that everything seems to be solid and i can tell I'm going to love turning on this lathe.

Bill Bolen
04-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Congrat's to both of you! Looks like sweet setup's for both. Patrick you might find it less frustrating to just take the lathe off of the stand and using a level surface mount the bed extension then take the whole assembly to the stand. Any shimming required would be readily visable at that time...Bill..

Patrick Doody
04-15-2010, 12:41 PM
good idea, I'll try that next.

Jeff Nicol
04-15-2010, 9:15 PM
Patrick, I plan on being in Inver Grove on Sunday to run a caple line upstairs to my daughters bedroom. Maybe we could meet up if I get my work done quickly. Let me know in a PM if that will work out.

Thanks,

Jeff