PDA

View Full Version : Long board skate board

NICK BARBOZA
03-30-2010, 10:14 AM
I just finished this project with a friend of mine. It's been quite a while since the two of us have been able to work on a project together like the good ol' days... We had a blast! It took 1-2 nights a week for a few weeks to complete but this past Saturday we took her for the maiden voyage.

The board is red birch, tiger maple and cherry. 44" long 9" wide, with a wheel base of about 33". Used the Domino along all glue joints. Finish is BLO then a few quick coats of shellac, will probably add a number of coats of wipe on poly for some added durablity.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=146728&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1269957693

We had so much fun taking it out for a ride that we ended up shooting some video with our "point & shoot" digi camers -- which lead to "Lets post this on YouTube!!!!" So, we did. Here is a link to my blog where the video is posted and also there is a post going through the process so read along and let me know what you think!

Longboard Maiden Voayage Video!!! (http://www.nwbwoodworks.com/blog/)

Thanks for looking,
NWB

Larry Fox
03-30-2010, 10:53 AM
wow - that is really, really cool. Video was great, looks like a lot of fun. How is the flex on it? You planning on putting grip tape on the top? Looks like a really long and fun hill you guys have to bomb there as well. Nicely done! One of these is on my "bucket list" as well - just need to find the time but I think between you guys and Sascha Gast (spelling) the project has moved up the list closer to the top.

NICK BARBOZA
03-30-2010, 2:37 PM
Thanks Larry!!!

The flex was actually pretty minimal we planned it down to just under 3/4". Not planning any grip tape as we like the look, but may add a finish with some sand in it.... we need to get a few more miles on it first...

It was alot of fun! You should go for it!
-NWB

Tony Shea
03-30-2010, 5:37 PM
Another long board...just what I need is some more reason to make one. They're so much fun but still don't own my own as they're fairly expensive. But I sure could bang one out in the shop. Thanks for some more long board inspiration and yours looks great.

Louis Bois
03-30-2010, 9:21 PM
Nice job on the longboard fellas...but a word of advice if I may?!?

WEAR A BLOODY BUCKET WHEN YOU RIDE IT!!!! :mad::mad::mad::D

John Thompson
03-31-2010, 10:44 AM
Looks great Nick... I have no clue about what makes a good skate-baord and what doesn't but it certainly looks good! ;)

Van Huskey
04-01-2010, 1:10 AM
Love the vdeo, very cool.