PDA

View Full Version : Going Under the Knife

Belinda Barfield
03-30-2010, 10:06 AM
I am having surgery tomorrow morning. While my brain knows that anesthesia and pain meds are good things, my body is in total disagreement and will attempt to expel any chemicals introduced (to put it nicely). So, due to my brain’s inability to override the body, tomorrow has the potential to be a not so pleasant day. There are probably better anesthetic agents on the market than in the past so I’m hoping for the best.

If you have the ear of a deity, I would be grateful if you would mention my name in your next communiqué. Even if you just cast good thoughts into the cosmos, I feel every little bit helps.

Thanks, and as my daddy would say, “Y’all keep it between the lines and be careful out there.” I’ll check back in when I am up and about.

Scott Shepherd
03-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Good luck Belinda. I'm sure it'll all work out fine. Just pretend you're a possum :D Maybe someone will try and give you mouth to mouth :p

Hang in there and good luck!
Steve

Tom Winship
03-30-2010, 10:35 AM
My prayers will be with you Belinda. I had hip replacement surgery last Thursday, came home Sunday, am up and about, sore but happy. I will pray that yours will be so easy.
Tom

Rod Sheridan
03-30-2010, 10:46 AM
I'll be thinking about you Belinda, and good luck.............Rod.

Pat Germain
03-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Positive prayers coming your way, Belinda.

FYI, if you tell your doctors you don't do well with anaestetics and narcotics, they can often use alternate drugs which may not make you as sick.

Phyllis Meyer
03-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Hey Southern Lady,

You will be my thoughts and prayers! Just prayed, and I also added that you make us laugh here at the creek and he must get you better real soon! I know it's all so crazy with the nappy time drugs:eek:, but look on the bright side...you sure wouldn't want to watch them:confused:.

You take care and we look forward to hearing from you the minute you feel better!

Love Ya
Phyllis:)

Mitchell Andrus
03-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Anesthesia is funny stuff. My first time when I woke up I couldn't feel myself breathing. Very strange. I got to thinking that I must be OK 'cause I could look around the room and see people moving and they weren't running towards me in a hurry. That lasted about a minute.

The second time I thought I was floating above the bed and reached out and grabbed the mattress so I wouldn't hit the ceiling.

Strange, the stuff that sticks with you. I've never had a drink so I don't have anything to compare this to.

Good luck. Try to remember the first thing you're aware of when you wake up.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2010, 10:56 AM
My thoughts and prayers are going out for you Belinda!

Heather Thompson
03-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Our thoughts and prayers will be with you, it will be OK. I have had surgery four times since 98, all went well and so will yours. :)

Heather

David G Baker
03-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Belinda,
My prayers are with you. I hope all goes well for you.

Steve Schlumpf
03-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Belinda - positive thoughts and prayers are on their way! Hope all goes well! Come back to us soon!

Mike Archambeau
03-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Belinda....will be thinking about you, good luck with the surgery, and get well real soon!

Dave Johnson29
03-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Fingers crossed for ya.

Look on the bright side, the after surgery anti-pain IV cocktails are worth the wait. ;):D

Sam Layton
03-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Belinda, you are in my prayers.

God Bless, Sam

Von Bickley
03-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Wishing you the best and hoping for a speedy recovery.

Take care........

Kent A Bathurst
03-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Positive thoughts all the way....be well....those folks know what they are doing, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Maybe see you at the Breakfast Club on Tybee my next fishing trip!!!

Rob Cunningham
03-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Positive thoughts and prayers sent on your behalf. Best of luck and hoping for a speedy recovery.

Greg Peterson
03-30-2010, 3:16 PM
Be well and at peace. Positive thoughts on their way as I type.

mike holden
03-30-2010, 3:21 PM
Prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery,
Mike

jerry nazard
03-30-2010, 4:28 PM
Be sure and get a critter cocktail and some possum stew before you go in. We'll send Jethro and Ellie Mae over to the hospital with some fresh vittles a bit later on.... :eek:

-Jerry

Ted Calver
03-30-2010, 4:34 PM
Best wishes for a good outcome and speedy recovery!

Pat Meeuwissen
03-30-2010, 4:42 PM
Belinda, I hope its nothing serious and will keep you in my thoughts. Be well, and don't be afraid to talk to the anesthesiologist and make him/her aware of your bad re- action the last time. One more tip a doctor friend of mine told me once is don't let them put you under until you know everyone needed for the surgery is present. Pat

Norris Randall
03-30-2010, 4:49 PM
God bless Belinda and all those who attend to her needs.

I'll be watching for your return.

I believe thoughts are prayers and prayers are thoughts.
So I've got you covered both ways.

Jay Jolliffe
03-30-2010, 5:18 PM
Good luck & get well soon.

Matt Meiser
03-30-2010, 6:20 PM
Good luck Belinda. I've been there 3 times in the past year, luckily all "minor." Not too much fun.

Mike Cutler
03-30-2010, 7:15 PM
Belinda

You go slow girl. Breathe and try not to have too much anxiety, and let the day pass.

Alan Lightstone
03-30-2010, 7:52 PM
Belinda:

I'm an anesthesiologist.

Most patients wake up pretty clearheaded, and hopefully pain-free. And yes, the anesthetics have become shorter acting and better tolerated over the years.

The odds are greatly in your favor that everything will go just fine.

Please voice your concerns with your anesthesiologist. Everyone reacts somewhat differently, and your input will help smooth out some potential speed bumps.

Good luck. As I like telling my patients, the best part of my job is telling you "I told you so" afterwards that things went just fine.

Bruce Page
03-30-2010, 8:13 PM
Belinda, I pray that all goes well for you tomorrow! :)
Just take it easy for awhile.

Mike Cruz
03-30-2010, 8:57 PM
Um, I knew you were going to take some time off work, but I thought it was going to be vacation... Oops! Hope everything goes as smoothly as possible during the surgury, and through recovery. My positive thoughts will definately be with you.

As for medication expulsion... I found out that, while meds don't really affect me (I always have to take the highest doses to make anything work), that I cannot take anything with Codine or any derivative of it. While it works, I will become violently ill... really really bad headache, and projectile vommit (oops, I think I said too much, maybe a little TMI).

Anyway, you might want to do some research into what you have taken in the past, and what hasn't agreed with you. Of course, you've probably already done that...sorry.

Again, good luck and I'll have only happy thoughts tomorrow!

Mike Henderson
03-30-2010, 9:02 PM
Good luck - we'll be pulling for you.

Mike

Brian Kent
03-30-2010, 9:03 PM
I'm praying for you too, Belinda. We need you and your sense of humor back here as soon as possible.

Dave Ray
03-30-2010, 9:22 PM
Best of luck, Belinda. Prayers will be said. Need you back ASAP, really enjoy reading your post's.

Joe Shinall
03-30-2010, 9:24 PM
Good luck Belinda, you're in our prayers. Hope for a speedy recovery. I had surgery on my shoulder and bicep 5 months ago. Just dont do like me and start singing before you go in. I'm sure everyone got a kick out of it at first, but I know how bad I sound so I'm sure they stuck that mask on me as quick as they could. :D

Phil Thien
03-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Positive thoughts coming your way!

Ted Shrader
03-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Belinda -

Prayers and positive thoughts headed your way. Hang in there, take care, do what the doctors say and HEAL FAST.

Ted

Ed Harrow
03-30-2010, 11:30 PM
Best wishes.

Not to make light, but when it's all over I could tell you about the time I didn't have anesthesia...

Leigh Costello
03-31-2010, 12:04 AM
Good luck Belinda. Enjoy the nap and the way you will feel after you have healed. I'll be thinkin' about you all day and sending prayers your way.

Terry Hatfield
03-31-2010, 8:53 AM
Pray for God's blessing on you and for your family.

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2010, 5:20 PM
BUMP

Anyone heard anything yet?

Phyllis Meyer
03-31-2010, 5:52 PM
I'll keep checking in with email. This is the same surgery I had...she may not want to talk with us for a few days!:(

Matt Ranum
03-31-2010, 6:27 PM
I'm sure everything went fine but will be checking in with the man upstairs shortly and say another prayer again, just because. Modern medicine is amazing as I was witness to it 4 short weeks ago.

Belinda Barfield
04-01-2010, 6:36 PM
Thanks all for the prayers, thoughts, and concern. I'm moving a little slower than usual, and I still have some discomfort. I was supposed to wake up from anesthesia pain free. I discussed everything with anesthesiologist before I went under. I woke up in a lot of pain but we finally got that under control with the magic morphine button and a Dilaudid topper. That did the trick! For the nausea I had a Scopolamine patch (cruise ship/sea sickness remedy), a Pepcid injection (who knew there was such a thing), and a decadron injection before I was moved to a room. I still had nausea for most of the day but never got sick. I'm sure it was beause you all were backing me up! I got home around 4 today and am settled for the next couple of days. No real work or lifting for six weeks or so. I'll have nothing better to do than bug you guys!

Thanks again to all of you. :)

Tim Morton
04-01-2010, 6:39 PM
Hopefully you have a bell so that you can ring it and "Mr" Belinda Williamson can come running...;)

Glad you made it out the other side:)

Ted Calver
04-01-2010, 7:31 PM
Scopolamine??? Isn't that the 'truth' serum stuff from True Lies? Hummmmm....this has potential. :) Glad you survived and hope you get your energy back real soon.

Mike Cruz
04-01-2010, 7:42 PM
Glad to hear all went well...or as well as possible. I'm looking forward to your happy, shiny posts! :)

Mitchell Andrus
04-01-2010, 7:44 PM
See if you can get some Percoset. That stuff lifted me off the floor and made the walls move.

Quick recovery.

jerry nazard
04-01-2010, 8:09 PM
I took some Percoset after my thumb surgery and it reminded me of the weed that we used to mess with in college. Potent stuff.

I'm glad that you are recovering and suggest that a bit of creative writing might be therapeutic. Topics containing rednecks, alcohol, critters, law-enforcement, and sex would be welcome....

Best!!!

-Jerry

Dave Johnson29
04-01-2010, 8:23 PM
Bug away Belinda, glad to see you back OK.

I told you the "after time" was worth the wait. :D:D Morphine and Dilauded. :eek::eek:

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2010, 8:27 PM
Thoughts & Prayers for a quick recovery!

Looking forward to hearing lots from you for the next 6 weeks or so!

My wife (we) went through all this and hard as it may seem at this moment - it does get better!

Mike Cruz
04-01-2010, 8:28 PM
HA! A codine derivative of Codine! Found that out a little too late...

Joe Mioux
04-01-2010, 9:25 PM
I'm reading this thread for the first time.

glad surgery went well and you are recovering.

all the best. joe

Rory Talkington
04-01-2010, 9:53 PM
Belinda, best wishes for a speedy recovery. I heard Amoretto(sp) helps:D!

Ed Harrow
04-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Welcome back - make the most of it, "Honey...."

Jim Mattheiss
04-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Belinda - I'm a little late to the dance here...

It sounds like everything went well and I hope you feel better soon.

Cheers

Jim

Jamie Buxton
04-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Belinda --
I'm glad you're back. You have lots of friends and fans here who are pulling for you.

David G Baker
04-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Belinda,
Great to have you back and that all went well.
Bug us as much as you want, we enjoy it.

Greg Peterson
04-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Get well soon.

Belinda Barfield
04-02-2010, 9:21 AM
Thanks again to all of you. I'm pretty much running a one person show here, so any bell ringing, or honey doin' will be done by me. I try not to wake me up any more than absolutely necessary. :D

I thought I would have at least one funny story to share about my experience, but nothing unusual happened.

I'm having a pretty good day today, no pain meds needed as of yet.

On the way home from the hospital I did pass a possum sleeping on the side of the road. If I had been feeling better I would have tried to wake the lil' feller' up. :eek:

Mama taught me that it is impolite to discuss one's health. I hope mama and Emily Post will forgive me on this one because it's really nice to have the support of friends. :)

Lori Kleinberg
04-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Belinda, sorry, I am late to the party.... Glad all went well and you are on the road to recovery. Good luck with the rest of your recovery. Take it slow and follow the docs orders.

Phyllis Meyer
04-02-2010, 10:40 AM
God is good and he will take care of you and get you running around in no time!

Belinda on drugs...on the forum...this could be really fun!;)

Love Ya!

Rob Cunningham
04-02-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm glad everything went well. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Dennis Peacock
04-02-2010, 1:19 PM
Heal quickly Belinda. Prayers sent for a quick recovery.

Norris Randall
04-02-2010, 2:24 PM
I'll have nothing better to do than bug you guys!

Oh happy day. Glad you are back home.
I'll be looking forward to 6 weeks of buggin.

How many bugs can you type a minute?:D

God is good all the time... All the time God is good!

Leigh Costello
04-03-2010, 12:30 AM
I am so glad you are doing well. If I were closer I would bring over some Uno cards and have a tournament. Works wonders for the soul until the meds wear off (my soul anyway:p). Hang in there and reach out if you need anything.

Belinda Barfield
04-03-2010, 10:53 AM
I am so glad you are doing well. If I were closer I would bring over some Uno cards and have a tournament. Works wonders for the soul until the meds wear off (my soul anyway:p). Hang in there and reach out if you need anything.

Thanks Leigh. I wish you were closer, too. Between Uno and Yahtze I'd be well in no time! :)

Belinda Barfield
04-03-2010, 11:56 AM
I've received some e-mails regarding my surgery, and exactly what was involved (all well meaning) and it occurred to me that possibly I should have shared a little more information, but this being a predominantly male forum I didn't want to share TMI. I had a hysterectomy which these days is pretty run of the mill and nothing to be extremely concerned about. I had developed a complex ovarian cyst that continued to enlarge. At the time of surgery the cyst was a little over 5 cm. That, along with some other symptoms I was having, led to a working diagnosis prior to surgery of ovarian cancer. So, I had no idea what news I would be given after the surgery. The news was good, and I believe I have all of you to thank for that.

I'm out of the woods now so I am requesting that we focus all of our thoughts and prayers on Mike Henderson and his family during their time of loss.

Thanks again everyone!

Brian Kent
04-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Belinda, it was your post in support of Mike that sent me over here to check how you are doing. Glad you are OK. Also glad you won't be trying to run any granite slabs through your band saw any time soon.

God bless you.

Rich Stewart
04-04-2010, 4:55 AM
I'm glad to hear everything worked out well for you, Belinda. Take good care.