PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here built a ice boat?

Quinn McCarthy
03-30-2010, 9:48 AM
I have been thinking about builing an ice boat. I am not sure where to start. I have been looking online for boat plans and there are a few out there available.

I am just wondering what people have built and why they picked that design.

Thanks

Quinn

Nate Carey
03-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Seven DNs - because they are relatively inexpensive to build, easy to transport and assemble/disassemble, fast & fun, ready market for competitive boats

One A Class Skeeter - longer and wider and more comfortable (semi-enclosed cockpit) than the DN, faster than the DN, three times the cost of a DN to build

One Gambit - a stretched DN for two, I like to share the thrill of going very fast on the ice, slightly more comfortable than the DN but double the cost to build

If I ever win the lottery, I will buy or build an E Class Skeeter

Mac McQuinn
03-30-2010, 2:15 PM
The DN's started up by me, DN stands for Detroit News and these boats were a product of the depression era I believe. The Gougeon Brothers from Bay City MI were/are strongly involved in racing this design. There was a great article in WoodenBoat magazine either this issue or the last one. Pretty neat stuff if you like going fast and freezing at the same time:D

Mac

Nate Carey
03-30-2010, 3:18 PM
Mac and Quinn, here's the story on Detroit News' involvement from the "horse's mouth" http://apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php?id=141

I like to build these infernal machines and I like to go fast, but as I age my tolerance for the cold diminishes.

This video was made by a friend and fellow iceboater here in New Hampshire this past February...the ice was almost perfect!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HetR9WcKLPI

Quinn McCarthy
03-30-2010, 3:36 PM
Great article and info on the DN. I have seen the plans for the DN a few places.

Sounds like you have built a few boats Nate. I have been thinking about maybe something enclosed.

A friend of my dad's had one that was enclosed a bit. No clue what kind it was.

Quinn

Nate Carey
03-30-2010, 3:48 PM
Quinn, I will be happy to send you a set of DN plans (no charge) if you PM your mailing address. The Knight (skeeter) is a very popular semi-enclosed iceboat...now is the time to start construction.

Ken Werner
03-30-2010, 7:03 PM
Nate that video is very cool. Thanks.

Nate Carey
03-31-2010, 7:20 AM
Thanks Ken, I will pass that on to the man who made it...I was just one of the iceboats in the distance.

Chris Damm
03-31-2010, 7:42 AM
My father built a DN60 back in the 50s. It was a blast until we started getting too much snow. When they moved to a condo in the mid 70s it was sold to a friend of mine. I had a chance to sail it a couple of years ago and it was as much fun as I remembered as a kid. My buddy has built 3 or 4 more but the one my dad built is still in excellant shape.

Jeffrey Langdell
06-06-2010, 8:46 PM
Wow- Great video! Thanks for sharing Nate.
I grew up in Vermont on Lake Champlain, back when the lake used to freeze. I had more time than money when I was 16 and built a DN-60 with available materials. I used Eastern spruce instead of Sitka spruce. Turns out those knots are problematic on spars, so I snapped some masts. An old timer gave me his ancient canvas DN sail, as long as I promised to use it. I used a hack saw and file to make ALL of the hardware from CRS (no stailess on my rig). I even made the runners and chocks from CRS. Half the fun was upgrading the hardware that broke after each use. As I recall, I broke something EVERY time I sailed. There's nothing as exhilerating as tacking around a boat bouey, accelerating to 60 mph with the ice chips in your face and the thundering vibrations under your seat. The perception of speed is magnified when only 6 inches off the ice. The hull hung in my dad's garage for 20 years and one day disappeared. Pretty sure it warmed the house as kindling. Thanks for taking me down memory lane.

mike holden
06-07-2010, 9:51 AM
Quinn,
If, like me, you are not interested in racing iceboats and just want to sail them. Consider a J-14. The plans are available on line and there is a very active group in the Traverse City Michigan area as well as out east.
Try starting at elklakeiceboating dot com
Mike
J-14 sail numbers 5 and 6

Nate Carey
06-08-2010, 3:41 PM
You're welcome Jeffrey.