PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum chuck versatility...

Fred Perreault
03-30-2010, 6:52 AM
I was wondering how much, if any, roughing out the Creeksters do with their vacuum chuck system. I use mine for removing tenons, sanding awkward pieces, finishing, buffing, and re-working blemished items. Does anybody use it say, in place of a scroll chuck? I have good draw, 22"-24", and I love the opportunity to clutch irregular, and regular, items.
Thanks,

Steve Schlumpf
03-30-2010, 9:45 AM
Fred - I have only used mine on finished surfaces - meaning sanded and smooth. I would be afraid of losing vacuum when roughing something out. Too many times I come across hidden voids or cracks when initially turning and would hate to have a chunk of wood come flying off the lathe unexpectedly because a sudden loss of vacuum.

Robert McGowen
03-30-2010, 10:46 AM
I use my vacuum chuck quite a bit. Like Steve said though, I would think that you would want some sort of even smooth surface for the chuck to grab hold of. I would also prefer that the blank be somewhat balance. On a regular chuck, you might have an instant to realize what that sudden wobble means and get out of the way. On a vacuum chuck, it is on there one second and gone the next! Also, any interruption of power and you have a half log flying at you instead of a 6 oz. finished bowl!

Bernie Weishapl
03-30-2010, 10:48 AM
I agree with the others Fred. I would be afraid of a void or crack and it would go flying.

Fred Perreault
03-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the tips. I have not used it for anything more out of balance than a clews style box, NE items and smaller queer shaped items. They have all been finished to some extent for the seal to mate. I have used my vacuum system to re-chuck finished items and repair, buff or refinish to some extent. It is a very helpful sucker... :)