PDA

View Full Version : Uses for single drawer slides?

Dan Duperron
03-30-2010, 6:46 AM
Yo SMC,

I purchased a pile of heavy-duty ball-bearing drawer slides from a closed cabinet shop and ended up with a few orphans in various lengths.

Anyone have any bright ideas for uses for single slides?

If not I'll scrap 'em, but I figured I should ask all you creative folks here first.

Todd Carpenter
03-30-2010, 8:37 AM
Craigslist? maybe Ebay?

Paul Murphy
03-30-2010, 8:50 AM
You can usually mount a single underneath a wide drawer in the middle. It will be on it's "side", but will help stabilize side movement.

roman fedyk
03-30-2010, 9:19 AM
+1 I have built several center mounted drawer this way. Just add a couple of wooden runner stabilizers under the drawer at each end to keep it from tilting. Depending on the slide capacity, you can make some very nice working drawers with it.

james bell
03-30-2010, 10:16 AM
At the end of my kitchen cabinets in my previous house, I installed a 45 degree cabinet before the door to the dining room in so I wouldn't bump my hip walking by. The drawer was also a 45, so I had to split some slides to have a long one on one side and a shorter one which full extended on the other.

Nick Keane
03-30-2010, 5:34 PM
A guy here at work made a highlighter (or pen, or pencil) holder that rides on a single drawer slide. It is a block of oak that he bored holes in to hold his highlighters. We are estimators for a construction company, so are always coloring blueprints. He has it mounted to the side of his drafting table.

Ben Franz
03-30-2010, 5:37 PM
A weight to hold down your pile of mismatched socks?

johnny means
03-30-2010, 5:49 PM
use them in pairs, the shorter one would just be the limting slide. No reason an 18" and 16" slide can't both support the same drawer.

Dan Duperron
03-30-2010, 8:38 PM
Wow you guys are great. The only one I had come up with on my own before posting was using one as a center-under mounted slide for a small drawer.

Ben gets the award for most creative use of a single slide. I do have a few orphaned socks around the shop too. I call them 'shop rags'.

Thank you for enabling my pack-rat tendencies. I knew I could count on you.
:)