PDA

View Full Version : Minwax poly finish product question

Tom Hammond
03-30-2010, 4:50 AM
I've used the Minwax polyurethane fast-drying poly product for years. Now, at my local BORG and BORG clones, Sherwin-Williams, local hardware and major discounters, I find Minwax High Build instead. The fast-drying is available in quarts only, with gallons available only in the High Build. I tried the High Build, and HATE it. It is so thick, like molasses, that it leaves brush marks, lines, does not cover evenly and dries so slowly you cannot do even one coat per day.

I went to my local Sherwin-Williams, where I have a commercial account, and asked the guy there what's up with the unavailability of the fast-drying product in gallons. He said that Minwax was changing the product and that fast-drying wouldn't be available for much longer, due to some government regulation about outgassing, or something like that.

Does anyone have any information on this? THANKS for any help.

Lee Schierer
03-30-2010, 9:14 AM
I have the opposite problem. I really like the Varathane Diamond Floor Finish Polyurethane, but it only comes in gallon size.

Prashun Patel
03-30-2010, 9:57 AM
I can't confirm any of this, but my instinct:

"high build" = Minwax's way to get around the VOC issue by reducing the amount of solvent. You might be getting a more concentrated product than the fast-dry.

Have you experimented with thinning the High build with mineral spirits or naphtha?

Tom Hammond
03-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Got a response email from MinWax about 10 minutes ago...

The Fast-Drying product is indeed available ONLY in quarts, because of government regulations, but they do intend to keep marketing it.

I would probably use the high build if it weren't so thick. Guess it's back to the store...

Norm Lincoln Sr.
I use naptha to thin the fast dry stuff when I hvlp spray it on - comes out glass smooth. Sounds like high build stuff would be good candidate for thinning. ONly downside is the stuff ages/degrades in the large cans and if you dont use it , you loose it.

Michael Flores
Tom, What area are you in. The guy at your Sherwin Williams was correct cause here in southern CA we have what is called the AQMD and their goal is too make all solvent based finishes water based. So all the product companies are trying all kinds of things. One of the things i noticed was that they are using more acetone in their products. The problem with acetone is that it drys so fast, its very hard to keep a wet edge on larger projects. Try taking a look at Valspar brand of lacquer. Here in SoCal we can only get 275 voc. Thats the low end of the spectrum. Its say on the can that it doesn't need to be thinned cause if you add more thinner to it, it will exceed the maximum amount of voc's. But everybody still thins it out and adds reducer so it doesn't dry super fast to help maintain a wet edge.

Howard Acheson
03-30-2010, 12:52 PM
The High Build product has been formulated to conform with the VOC regulations promulgated in many states and areas. Standard oil/solvent based finishes emit to many fumes and gases.

Standard products are frequently still allowed as long as they are sold in small non-commercial and non-production quantities.

All the finish manufacturers are re-formulating their products to conform to the ever more stringent VOC regulations.

Scott Holmes
03-30-2010, 6:58 PM
EPA stikes again...Can we vote EPA out of a job?

I bet if you eliminated ALL the cabinet shops and woodworker in the USA you couldn't even get a measurement of the impact on air quality, etc!