PDA

View Full Version : box plan.

Aaron Hancock
03-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Pardon the terrible sketch-up drawing, I downloaded it tonight and did this in 5min. My basic idea is to make a grain matched box (maybe lock miters). But I want to carry it one step further and bring the grain match from the sides up onto the lid. My drawing explains it better then I can (I think). Don't pay attention to grain direction in the drawing, I couldn't figure how to change it. I'm thinking I could have the inside edges of the box and the outside of the top mitered to make a crisp edge? I've never really built and box like this and I'm just brainstorming. Let me know what ya guys think.

Tony Joyce
03-30-2010, 7:49 AM
This should be pretty easy to execute with veneers. Solid wood slightly harder, but doable. I see possible problems from solid wood movement opening joints.

Lee Schierer
03-30-2010, 9:08 AM
I did a lazy susan with grain the way you are proposing for your lid. Despite several attempts, one of the four joints has failed due to seasonal wood movement. http://www.home.earthlink.net/~us71na/lsusan2.jpg

glenn bradley
03-30-2010, 10:11 AM
+1 This screams for veneering. I'm not sure of the scale but for lock-miters you are probably at a minimum wall thickness of some sort. If the box is small enough I have simple glued long mitered edges without failure. I'd build the box with your favored method and then veneer it.