PDA

View Full Version : Staples vs. Brad Nails which is stronger?

Frank Warta
03-29-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm wondering if there's a general consensus on staples versus brad nails regarding strength? Mostly shear strength in my application, but I'm also curious just in general. I'll be using one or both in conjunction with glue but that's neither here nor there I suppose.

One last wrinkle assume 1 1/2" (1/4" crown) staples and 2" brad nails.

Thanks in advance!

Jamie Buxton
03-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Staples are stronger. In sheer, you have the two legs of the staple that are resisting bending instead of the one of the brad. In pullout, the crown of the staple holds the panel on the cabinet, whereas it is only the little head of the brad in the other case. Of course, staples lose on the ugliness factor, so they get used only where they won't be seen.

Frank Warta
03-30-2010, 12:07 AM
That's what seemed most intuitive but I figured it was better to ask rather then just assume. For what I'm building ugly is not an issue, it's gonna get covered with paint and people are going to walk on it so I just need it to not fall apart.

Chris Friesen
03-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Generally 1/4" staples are 18 gauge, same as a brad gun.

If the piece being fastened is thin, I'd probably go for the staples. At a certain thickness (maybe 1/2" or so) I'd likely switch to my 15 gauge finishing nailer.

Marty Paulus
03-30-2010, 1:13 PM

If the piece being fastened is thin, I'd probably go for the staples. At a certain thickness (maybe 1/2" or so) I'd likely switch to my 15 gauge finishing nailer.

+1. 1 1/2" staples are getting long for only 18 gage as is a 2" brad at 18 Gage. You may not drive them completely if going into any reasonably hard wood. I have had them not drive fully into particle board.

Frank Warta
03-30-2010, 2:30 PM
I kind of wondered about a finish gun. I was hoping to avoid buying anything else for the project, but I may looking into a finish nailer. Maybe take my chances with a HF model. It's all plywood and douglas fir so it's not "hard" stuff, but I have had a few of the 1" staples bind on me in other instances when they hit a knot or some other dense part of the wood and I don't want to waste time with a screw driver and hammer getting things flushed up and I obviously don't want to see this thing collapse so it's probably worth it.

+1. 1 1/2" staples are getting long for only 18 gage as is a 2" brad at 18 Gage. You may not drive them completely if going into any reasonably hard wood. I have had them not drive fully into particle board.

Robert McGowen
03-30-2010, 3:25 PM
Just my take on things, but it really is a moot point. I use both staples and brads every day and the glue is stronger than either one. You will probably find it faster and easier to use brads than staples, so just use a good glue and nail it. YMMV