PDA

View Full Version : question for Rob Lee or others

Zach England
03-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Are the irons in the Veritas bevel-up jointer interchangeable with the ones in the other two bevel-up planes? I already have the jack and smoother and see that those are interchangeable, but the part numbers for the jointer only take me to that page when I search for them.

I'm getting close to owning every Veritas bench plane. Do I get a prize when I get there?

Tri Hoang
03-29-2010, 11:53 PM
The blades in the three BU planes are interchangeable. The LA smoother is an odd ball, though.

If you get an extra blade, go for the 25*. It's pretty easy to step up to higher angle but the reverse would require the re-grinding of the blade.

Are the irons in the Veritas bevel-up jointer interchangeable with the ones in the other two bevel-up planes? I already have the jack and smoother and see that those are interchangeable, but the part numbers for the jointer only take me to that page when I search for them.

I'm getting close to owning every Veritas bench plane. Do I get a prize when I get there?

Zach England
03-30-2010, 12:01 AM
I have all the blades but the toothed, so I think I'd get that one. The question is if they will sell me one without the standard blade.

What do you mean about the smoother being an oddball?

Tri Hoang
03-30-2010, 12:04 AM
I think the LA smoother (not BU smoother) iron is only 1/8" thick by 2" wide.

Griph0n Brown
03-30-2010, 1:23 AM
They sold me the BU Jack with the 50 deg. iron instead of the 25. Maybe if you pay the small difference for the toothed?

I bought the LA smoother first, then got the BU Smoother used (along with the Jointer and a few extra irons). Thay all take the same sized irons, except for the LA Smoother, that is smaller.

I thought I'd sell the LA, but it turns out I reach for it more often than the BU Smother.

Go figger.

Don Dorn
03-30-2010, 7:07 AM
I have to say that while I love the planes I have, if I had it to do over again, I'd opt for the three LV BU planes and be done with it (outside of a good block). They would still do everything I needed and take up less room. Although - I'm not sure I could operate without my #3.:rolleyes:

Rob Lee
03-30-2010, 7:36 AM

Hi Zach -

Yes, the irons are common to the the Bevel-Up Smooth, Bevel-Up Jack, and Bevel-up Jointer. The Low Angle Smooth plane (which is also bevel-up) has a narrower blade.

I always consider our Low-Angle Block (the widest one - with the three indents on the side) as part of the bevel-up series.... with the addition of the vertical tote - you now have a #3 sized bevel-up plane. It's a surprisingly comfortable and useful plane....

My hope is .... you'll always be close to having a full set....as we're not quite done with the offering....skew blocks are coming off the mills now - and should be out in a week or two...

I did look you up on our system (all 5 of your customer records!) and you're not kidding....you DO have a lot of planes! I'll put a "prize" in your next order...:D:D

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Fisher
03-30-2010, 8:33 AM
...skew blocks are coming off the mills now - and should be out in a week or two...

Bout d*mn time!!! :D:D:D My tax return (which will be here very very soon) has me all itchy!

Rob

Zach England
03-30-2010, 8:40 AM
Thanks, Rob. I always get the best service from Lee Valley. I've only been doing woodworking for a couple of years, but I sure love all the gardening tools that drew me to your company in the first place. Every March I pull them out and feel grateful to have spent a few extra dollars (compared to Home Depot, etc) to not have to wonder if they are still in good shape.

I'll be ordering that plane as soon as I figure out what hardware I need for the project I am trying to get started on. When I do can I just e-mail customer service and ask them to switch the standard blade with the toothed blade and charge me the difference?

Right now I don't have any jointer planes because I figured I'd always use my power jointer, but my dust collector has been out of commission (don't ask) so I have been using my no. 6 instead and have found it quick and surprisingly accurate. I was watching ebay for a Bed Rock 7 or 8 and figured for what they go for my money was better spent on a plane I already have several blades for.

Rob Lee
03-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Hi Zach -

Sent you an email with a contact name...

Cheers -

Rob

Chuck Tringo
03-30-2010, 1:48 PM
Once again a demonstration of the great Customer Service from Lee Valley and why I am a customer for life. I personally love that they offer a number of their joinery planes in a Left Handed version. Now if I could just convince Lie Nielsen to make a lefty version of the 48...or maybe just wait for the Veritas version to come out...;)