PDA

View Full Version : Spalted maple pen

Donny Lawson
03-29-2010, 9:53 PM
This is one I finished up yesterday.Comments please.
Donny

John Keeton
03-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Donny, that certainly is some nice wood and a really neat photo setup! I know nothing about pens, but this pen looks good, and the wood seems to suit the style. Good job of turning, too.

James Combs
03-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Some really nice spalted maple. I like the friction/grip rings too. Well done.

David E Keller
03-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Nice looking wood... I love the spalted stuff. Nice job.

Bob Wolfe
03-30-2010, 9:34 AM
First, I think the wood looks spectacular, as for the design...I suggest you lose the center band next time to get away from the "I'm wearing a belt that's way too tight look". When you do this you will find that you can turn the area where the ends meet to any size or shape you want. Just make them match up. If you want a center band, you can make a band of any material of your choice just drill a 1/4" hole and turn it to the diameter of your barrels. or leave it plain. Browse the net and you will find a slew of slim line variations out there. Have fun with it and good luck.

Steve Schlumpf
03-30-2010, 9:42 AM
Donny - real nice looking pen! Rich color to the wood!

Robert McGowen
03-30-2010, 10:41 AM
I have to agree with Bob's comments. The wood is great and the fit and finish on the pen are great also. It does appear to me though, that the pen is being strangled in the middle by the band. I would either make the pen slimmer next time to more closely match the center or use a cigar-type pen kit where you can get the thick look all the way through the pen.

Bernie Weishapl
03-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Really nice pen Donny. The wood really is nice.