PDA

View Full Version : Stan recommendations for Ash night stands

Jeremy Killingbeck
03-29-2010, 9:09 PM
I am finishing up a few night stands for my room and would like some recommendations for the type of stain to use. I have attached a few pictures so you can see what I am thinking. The first picture is the night stand design ("bedsidetable-closer"). The second picture "indoor_night_stand_ash_walnut" is close to the color that I want to stain the night stands. I am looking for a dark brown look.

I have looked at a lot of samples. I guess I just want a recommendation of the brand of stain that I should be looking at. Are the stains that you find a Lowes & HD good, or should I get something from Rockler or Woodcraft? Rockler sells a General Finishes stain that I have heard good things about, but I did not know if it is worth 2X the money. Also, would you guys recommend a Gel stain over a water based stain?

I plan to do some test pieces of what ever stain that I choose, but I wanted to get some advise so I don't wast a bunch of money in test stains. I also don't want to get my night stands stained & then be unhappy with the way the stain looks. Any advise would be appreciated.