PDA

View Full Version : Thanks For The Support

Ken Salisbury
11-10-2004, 10:06 AM
I have received some correspondence recently concerning some folks feeling a lack of recognition given to them for supporting the Freedom Pen Project by those who are perceived to be “in charge”

First of all, I don’t consider myself “in charge” of anything other than managing the materials and financial aspects of the project. However, I would like to respond to that correspondence here.

It should be noted we have approximately 800 turners involved, individually producing from 1 pen to 690 pens each. In addition we have a whole host of folks who have supplied materials, contributed cash, organized TAT’s, and other events, like fund raisers etc. All of these folks deserve thanks for what they have done in support of this effort

It would be close to impossible to individually thank each and everyone involved. The contribution of the person who has produced one pen for this project or the person who contributed $5.00 to the cause are as equally deserving of thanks as those who have contributed much more time, money, and effort. . I would not single out any supporter/s based on the level of their contribution/support. We all do what we are able to do.

I look to the mail we receive from the troops (http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/emails.htm) as an indicator that our efforts are more than just appreciated. This mail is all the thanks I personally need.

So if anyone feels they have been slighted in any way, let me say:

MY PERSONAL THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE SUPPORTED THIS EFFORT.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/needsyou.jpg

Jim Becker
11-10-2004, 10:22 AM
Ken, the Freedom Pen project has been a huge success in my view, both from the support it provides to the men and women who serve and in how it has brought so many folks together in fellowship through woodworking/woodturning. I also believe it's brought more people into this wonderful activity, too.

Kudos to everyone who has participated in any way, even if just to think about the intention of the project and those who benefit from it.

J

Aaron Koehl
11-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Right on, Jim!

It's only by the support of each and every participant that we were already able to beat the 20,000 pen goal set for this year. It is the mail from the troops sending their thanks, as well as the people excited about pen turning that has made this program a huge success.

And.. a big thanks to Jackie, who has personally individually wrapped thousands of Freedom Pens--received, unboxed, wrapped, packed, taped, shipped, and accounted for! (and a big thanks to Keith too!)

23,000+ and counting!
Everyone keep up the great effort!

Also, we have a big day coming up Thursday--
Be sure to take part in the nation-wide turn-a-thon on Veteran's Day! (And be sure to wrap those pens before shipping them!) :)

Donnie Raines
11-10-2004, 12:23 PM
My brother in law(who is now in Iraq....who was in Afganistan) has one. I was given a few of the FP for donating some materials.....my Bro-n-law loved it!!! He keeps it with him (along with the note that was attached) where he goes...really. I have since sent many more to him to share with the others in his group. He promised to take a photo of all of them displaying their pens. I will, of coarse, post that here when I get it. I suspect he is a bit pre-occupied right now.......

Dan Gill
11-10-2004, 1:18 PM
Strange, I replied earlier and it disappeared.

My personal thanks and back-pats for all who have contributed time, talent, money, and materials to the Freedom Pen Project. It is truly worthwhile.

Donnie Raines
11-10-2004, 2:04 PM
Let me also say this: I donate a lot of material to the local guilds that turn out pens for the FP. If ANYONE needs stock to turn out some pens, please get in contact with me. I may ask a few questions of you(I dont want to donate some material for your Christmas gifts) but would like to help as much as I can.

Aaron Koehl
11-10-2004, 2:16 PM
Dan,

Nope--it's still there: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=115771#post115771

We had the same thread in both the Freedom Pens forum and the GWW forum..

Ken Fitzgerald
11-10-2004, 2:44 PM
I replied to the other thread but I'll repeat what I said here. Thanks to all who have contributed money, time, material and pens! The "Thanks" is in the letters from the military folk, however. Keep in mind that they don't all have time or access to send notes and emails of thanks. The letters and emails that do come should be considered communal letters of thanks. A special thank you to Ken, Jackie and Keith for heading up and carrying out this project! More importantly...keep it up!

Tom Mullane
11-10-2004, 3:32 PM
I also would like to thank all who have been so involved in this program...
and I agree that if you are doing this so that someone can thank you publicly on the internet, you are doing this for the wrong reason....
I thought the object was for US to thank the servicemen and women who are protecting our nation and freedom... not for us to receive thanks for sending out some pens and donating some time of ours...
Consider the time it takes you to produce a pen for the Project and compare that to the time our soldiers and sailors are spending overseas... WHO really deserves public thanks and support....

Keith Outten
11-10-2004, 5:02 PM
I believe that Jackie and I have taken every opportunity to acknowledge the efforts of everyone associated with the Freedom Pens Project. We have created the Master List of Turners and we try to keep it as accurate as we can which is a very big job if you consider we have been tracking over 23,000 pens since January of this year. I have delivered every pen to the Military personally and I still have the record for "pens packed" although Jackie is gaining on me since she has taken over this chore recently.

I can't even imagine how many times people have offered me a thank you for my participation in the FPP but none have been necessary. Personally I have enjoyed being part of the project and the workload has been less of a chore and more of a labor of love. The email we have all received has been my reward and I am proud to just be part of this wonderful group of people who are willing to donate their time and funds just to say thanks to those who protect us all from harm.

In the beginning there was a small group of people who felt that our real goal was to promote SawMill Creek. I must admit that I do have a soft spot for SMC and I have always been happy to see our membership grow. After delivering over 23,000 pens to our troops maybe those who were so skeptical would be willing to admit today that our hearts are truly in the right place. As far as promoting SMC is concerned there is no monetary gain in seeing our membership grow. We don't sell banner space to advertisers and we don't collect any dues, SMC is free to all woodworkers. SMC is hosted by Hampton Roads Online as a community service and is powered by Friendship. Friendship and knowledge are all there is to gain here. If we are to be accused publicly for promoting "Friendship and Good Will" then we are guilty. Any other charges or accusations are false and those who would promote them should be ashamed.

I am looking forward to 2005 and to our continuing efforts to provide Freedom Pens for our Sons and Daughters who serve in harms way. Thanks to each of you who have contributed your time, talent and funds. I would also like to thank each of you for allowing me to participate with you, I have never been associated with any project so rewarding as Freedom Pens.

Dennis Peacock
11-10-2004, 6:05 PM
Excellent post and thread. Thank you Ken and SMC staff for all your efforts. Now, I gotta get my most recent batch of 40 pens shipped in since I now have them done. :D

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-10-2004, 7:03 PM
Anything I would say now would be redundant.

Ditto to all of the other posts.

We will be turning and burning tomorrow-------------At Woodcraft!

Bruce

Martin Shupe
11-11-2004, 11:11 AM
Keith and Ken,

How is the application for non-profit status coming along? Personally, while I have donated about 150 pen blanks to a few SMC members, as well as over 50 to my local Woodcraft, I would be willing to contribute monetarily, IF I could legally deduct it from my taxes. Call me cheap, but I need that deduction, and I am sure I am not the only one. Also, many corporations will match funds donated by their employees to non-profit organizations. I have said it before, but I'll say it again. If you can get the FPP certified as a non-profit, tax deductible organization, I really believe that the monetary donations will significantly increase.