PDA

View Full Version : Nova lathe

sam upton
03-29-2010, 7:29 PM
Hello All, I am thinking of upgrading from my jet 14-42 to the Nova DVR XP. I'm looking for comments. Thanks, Sam

Steve Vaughan
03-29-2010, 7:41 PM
Don't know about the jet, but I got the DVR one year ago. I've enjoyed using it but I don't have a lot to compare it to either...this was an upgrade from a craftsman 12" lathe. I also stepped it up to 220v. Along with a couple of supernova2 chucks, it's been good for me and done everything I've needed it to do. Just today, I put the outrigger thing on to turn up to 29" diameter stuff such as a platter or even a table top or two.

I'm sure a lot of knowing exactly what you're expecting to do will help the process of what to get, and there are others out there to choose from. I'm pleased but if I jump again for something, it will be a great big old PM or Oneway.

Ray Bell
03-29-2010, 7:45 PM
Sam, I have this lathe. It works fine and I am happy with it, but if I would have had the electrical capacity at the time of order I would have gone for the Powermatic, just for the extra capacity. I am not trying to talk you out of the Nova here, because it is a very nice lathe, and so far has handled anything I've thrown at it quite nicely. I did buy the outboard unit, but so far have never needed it. Good luck with your decision.
Ray

Jesse T. Young
03-29-2010, 7:49 PM
I just sold the one that I had. Is is a nice lathe but there was some things that I was not happy with.
1. The switches are flat and I found my self hitting the off button two or three times be fore it would stop. not good
2. I think it takes to long to ramp up to speed. all in all I was not happy with it.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

Alan Trout
03-29-2010, 8:11 PM
I really like mine. I teach on a Jet 1642 and much prefer my DVR. I have my presets set where I want them and don't mind if I have to adjust speed a little. It is the smoothest lathe I have ever turned on and has very good power. I really like the rotating head stock which is wonderful for hollowing bowls. With the swing away bed extension it is an incredibly versatile lathe. in a very small footprint. It has done everything that I have ask and more.

With all this being said I still would wait till it goes on sale. They typically go on sale several times a year between the different retailers. and typically can be had for a very good price or with a lot of accessories.

Here is the thread on mine. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99001 If I can answer any other questions please ask. I would buy mine again in a second.

By the way if you get over this way just give me a ring you are more than welcome to take it for a spin.

Alan

Ray Bell
03-29-2010, 8:21 PM
Alan Trout said:
"I really like the rotating head stock which is wonderful for hollowing bowls."

I should have mentioned this. It is a very nice feature that I use all the time. Much easier on the ole back.

Steve Vaughan
03-29-2010, 9:10 PM
I agree on that sale price...I've seen it several times over the last year for $500 off, which was how I got mine.

Alan Zenreich
03-29-2010, 11:10 PM
That's how I got mine too... $500 off was an offer I could not refuse.

It's a great fit for my small shop. We now tag team it with my bride's new Delta 46-460 midi lathe.

Mark Hubl
03-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Sam,

Why the upgrade? What kind of turning do you do, will be doing?

I am the proud owner of a 16-24 Nova, I love it. But if I was to upgrade it would not be to the DVR. I upgraded from a mini and really like where I am at. If I was to upgrade I would be looking at a 16-42 or PM. The others I would like are out of my price range for a hobby cat.

The 14-42 has more mass than the DVR, so I must wonder why move to the DVR. I have not shopped in a while, but I would think the 16-42 is a better deal then the Nova. More mass, from what I have seen pretty nice variable speed, sliding headstock, good resale...

I know the DVR is a sweet machine, but for the money it is a pricey tweener. Just my two cents.

alex carey
03-30-2010, 12:12 AM
yeah your upgrade seems to be rather small. Quite often you hear about people who start with a mini lathe, then they get a mid side lathe(what you have), then they a 16" swing, then they go for a 20/24" swing. That just seems like a lot of wasted money. If you really think 16" is all you are ever going to want then the DVR or the jet 1642 is a good way to go but if you think you'll end up craving more in a little while I would skip this small jump and wait a bit longer to get something bigger. Like the PM. Hope this helps.

Reed Gray
03-30-2010, 1:22 AM
Nothing wrong with the DVR though I prefer a sliding headstock to the pivoting ones. For one thing, the only coring system that will work on a pivoted headstock is the McNaughton, which isn't a problem for me. Another is that the sliding headstock does the same thing that the pivoting headstock does, and you don't have to bend over the bed to turn either the top or bottom of the bowl. Personally, I would go for the 2 hp Jet, then the PM, then the one I have now, the 3 hp Robust. I didn't like the preset speeds, and the slow ramp up and down if you wanted other speeds. With my bowls, it would be too inconvenient, dial a speed is so much better. I prefer the cast iron legs and bed (more mass) on the Jet as well. I think you can order a cast iron bed for the DVR. I didn't like the stamped steel legs on the DVR. The bed also sits right on the frame, and it isn't easy to get shavings out of there without an air hose.

robo hippy

Alan Trout
03-30-2010, 8:30 AM
Actually the DVR is a cast iron bed, However you can order the cast legs if you want. In the US it does not come standard with any legs stamped steel or otherwise. I know Bernie uses a Oneway coring system on his so that is no problem but in the swivel position you can probably only use the McNaughton.

Far as stability and mass that can be taken care of in the stand construction. While not typical the stand I constructed for mine makes my DVR much more stable the the 1642 that I teach on and give demos on. I was doing a hollowing demo the other night and there was a noticeable difference is stability between my DVR and the Jet when I was doing heavy cuts.

Far as power the DVR can be run on either 110 or 220V The design of the motor is not typical so you do get a HP increase with the DVR at 220V. They say it is 2HP but when you dig into the specs it is right at 2.3HP.

IMHO I feel the DVR has an advantage for outboard turning, while it is true that the Jet has a sliding headstock you have to have a floor mounted tool rest to turn outboard. With the DVR you have a pretty large banjo or outrigger so you do not have to deal with a heavy floor mounted tool rest. Now the PM with the short accessory bed IMHO is a better solution to the outboard turning.

Far as the touch pad goes after using mine for going into my second year I don't even notice it and also recently announced on Face Book Teknatool announced they will have their remote for the unit this year.

Is the DVR for everybody? probably not but for the money and space requirements it is a heck of a little lathe. Not sure what I would have if I did not have the DVR Might be the Stubby or Vicmarc but for now both of those are out of my price range.

Like I sad before come on over to SA and you are more than welcome to take mine for a spin so you can see what a DVR can do. I think you will be pretty impressed.

Alan

Bill Blasic
03-30-2010, 8:32 AM
When I first got my DVR the first thing I looked for was a way to add a dial for the speed control. It was just foreign to hit the up/down buttons. Now it is second nature and bothers me not in the least, even with 4 other variable speed lathes that have a dial type speed control. I have upgraded to the 5 presets and that makes a difference in speed control and wired for 220 gives plenty of power. The one thing that is just coming into light about this machine is the amount of energy used by it compared to normal motor type lathes, quite a difference. I have had this lathe for 6 years and it is still my favorite and I use it as much and maybe a little more than my Powermatic. I sell quite a few bowls and here in my area anyway you don't sell a lot of bowls bigger than 16".
Bill

sam upton
03-30-2010, 9:17 AM
Thanks for all of the kind replies.

The two major reasons for wanting to make this change are:
1. I turn mostly dry(very dry) wood & I'm really stuggling with having rough tearout in spots & I believe the reversing motion will help that problem a lot.
2. My shop is also very small (10x10). & space is an issue.

I might consider the powermatic if I had a larger space. Thanks Again, Sam

Ray Bell
03-30-2010, 9:51 AM
"Teknatool announced they will have their remote for the unit this year".

Alan, what is this remote?

Alan Trout
03-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Ray,

They will have a remote on/off device so when you are away from the headstock such as hollowing you have a way to shut of the machine or change the speed.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
03-30-2010, 11:01 AM
I have had my DVR now for 3 yrs. I have the presets set at my favorite speeds and as far as size goes I bought it also because of space limitations. There is no problem with heft or being stable in any way.

Matt Owen
03-30-2010, 11:38 AM
I've had my DVR Xp for over 4 years now, and I am very satisfied with it. It has more than enough power to handle anything you can fit on it, and it's very smooth. I don't have a lot of room in my shop, so the rotating headstock is wonderful. The tool rest, banjo, and tailstock lock tightly, and the speed range is fantastic (100-3500 rpm). Best of all, I never (ever) have to change the belt to change the speed. The keypad membrane takes about one turning session to get used to, and after that it's no big deal.

As far as mass goes, I have mine on the sheet metal stand and loaded with 250 lbs of sand. With that, its extremely solid.

If 16" is all you want, I would highly recommend this lathe.

Matt

Reed Gray
03-30-2010, 1:05 PM
If you are turning mostly dry wood, then you won't need as much range in variable speed as I do with green wood.

The tear out is another issue. You probably know that having sharp tools is a big part of it. Another part is in making very delicate cuts, the kind where you make several passes to remove even tiny tool marks. If this doesn't remove most of the tear out, then you can wet the wood with water or finish, let it soak for a minute, then make the delicate cuts again until you have removed the wet wood. You may have to do this a couple of times to get through the tear out. The reverse option will help with sanding in general, because especially if you are hand sanding, the fibers tend to lay down. This will not deal with the tear out specifically. If you can't get it all out, with turning tools, then you have to sand. Having a power sander set up really helps. If you don't have that, then you have to hand sand the tear out areas with the lathe off. I would say that I have more tear out issues with dry wood than green wood. My preferred method for the finish cuts is a scraper at a 45 degree angle, and a fresh burr. VERY LIGHT passes.

The variable speed option is one of the best advances to come to the lathes, and once you have it, you never want to go back.

As to how much room you need, all of these lathes have pretty much the same foot print. The biggest difference is in weight and mass. The PM has a slightly shorter bed than the Jet. Another thing you should investigate before buying. My lathe sits in a corner, and I can not turn out board. The sliding headstock was the best option for me.

robo hippy

Ralph Lindberg
03-30-2010, 5:32 PM
Ray,

They will have a remote on/off device so when you are away from the headstock such as hollowing you have a way to shut of the machine or change the speed.

Alan

Alan. don't hold your breath waiting for that remote. They have been talking about it for, well, years. Mind you it would be nice, but...

I know the home-brew remotes I've seen are all wired, which to me limits the usefullness. Of course a wire-less remove would just give me one more thing to lose:D

sam upton
04-02-2010, 9:36 PM
Thanks to all of the input, I have made my decision......The Powermatic 3520B.......Now, do I buy it local & have it assembled & delivered, or via the internet & save the $250 in sales tax? I also will need to sell my Jet 14-42. Thanks Again, Sam