PDA

View Full Version : RT hinged top (ala Router Magic) puzzlement

Lynn Kasdorf
04-01-2003, 1:38 PM
I'm planning to make my top hinge up, like Bill Hylton's design.

However, intution, and experiments in AutoCAD tell me that unless the hinge point is right at the top outide corner of the legs, the top will bind on the leg when it is tilted. Looking at his drawings in Router Magic, I don't see how it could not bind.

My current plan is to make the pivot point about 1/2" down from top and the rear, and radius the leg to avoid binding.

I've also been running around in my head an alternative hige arrangement that would place the hinge point behind the leg, so it couldn't bind.

I know this is a silly detail, but I thought maybe somebody has encountered this and solved it. Yes, I know that some folks don't really think the hinge top is required, but it will be handy in my design.

David Rose
04-02-2003, 12:26 AM
I built his exact table from his plans. Well, I'm still short three drawers...

I measured the hinge point just now. It is centered on a 1 1/2" leg and is a "cat's hair" (precision term) less than 3/4" from the upper end of the leg. The back of the leg is heavily radiused. No binding occurs.

I combined Bill's and Pat Warner's fences and built a heavy micrometer adjustable one. I added a Router Raizer for precision changes in height. Other than that, it's his exact table/cabinet.

I haven't been able to keep weather stripping on the top rails under the table very well. It is close enough that any leakage doesn't reduce the dust pick up enough to tell.

I built the top to his specs but without an insert and attached the router to the table. I used a minimum cut out and left about 1/2" of the top. It has still sagged. :( I can't decide whether to try to beef it up with iron or add an inset top. I looked at Lee Valley's but don't like the crown any more than sag. Besides that would make the top considerably heavier to lift.

Wishing you success.

David