PDA

View Full Version : Workbench progress

Kelly C. Hanna
11-10-2004, 9:05 AM
Between jobs, we have been working on a new workbench for the shop. We started out with a few uncut stringers from a jobsite gone awry. The guy who was building the deck we were called in to finish chickened out when it came to actually cutting the stringers. He had bought some metal stir tread brackets. Anyway, we brought the 2x12's home to the shop and I recut them into 4 3/4"x71" boards and ran them through the jointer a few times. Then I glued them up to make a 32"x71" top. It was very uneven, so the other day after visiting Steve Jenkins, we headed out to Hardwood Lumber Company to run the top through the 36" planer/sander he has.

After that it was time to cut and assemble the frame work. We had some 4x4 Douglas Fir post cutoffs for the four legs and some pine we took from the railing the same guy had attempted on the deck. Up until we started cutting the Arauco Pine plywood for the carcase, we had used all 'reclaimed' lumber. It wasn't very old and it was in great shape save a few nail holes (which we cut out or filled).

Yesterday and the day before, we squeezed in time to get the plywood carcase cut and installed as well as the interior dividers and a few shelves on the ends. The center will be reserved for the air exchanger's squirrel cage and filter system. The two ends are for storage of the sliding table, the stationary belt sander, etc. I will be leaving two upper shelves open to store tools in use.

The rest will get doors made from Ipe frames and Birch ply panels (cause I got a lot of both hangin' around).

You can see the first set of pics in Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments and the newwest ones are below.

Also included are pics of the new 'part time' shop dog, Daisy Duke. She is a Basenji (African 'barkless' dog). Although not purebred, she is a very even keeled and sweet dog. She adopted the next door neighbor's doghouse (which I made for 'Mickey'). We feed her twice a day and soon when the puppies come (she's preggers) we will have a new puppy to play with. She visits us in the shop regularly, but so far she hates the noisy tools...:D

Steve King
11-10-2004, 9:27 AM
Kelly,
Looks like you are on the way to making a fine looking workbench.
How did you like the workshop at Hardwood Lumber Co. You could get lost in there :)
Steve

Kelly C. Hanna
11-10-2004, 9:32 AM
Here you can see the shelves, second row of dogholes, end shelf and the many cuts it took to go around the framing and 3/4"x3/4" strips we used as nailers for the shelves and panels.

Kelly C. Hanna
11-10-2004, 9:34 AM
Hey Steve...I've loved it since the first day in 2000 that I wandered in there. It's cavernous in the shop part. He's a good guy (Larry) and he has some really neat machines!!

John Miliunas
11-10-2004, 9:37 AM
Great progress, Kelly! Looks like you're well on your way to a sturdy work station. I like the idea of integrating an air exchange, as it will be a great space-saver, while giving you a cleaner environment. :)

BTW, it's probably a good thing that Daisy takes off when power tools start up. We need to remember that pets have much, MUCH more sensitive hearing than we do and just as prone to getting damaged! In the meantime, keep us posted on progress! Lookin' good! :cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
11-10-2004, 9:38 AM
And here we have closer views of the slider storage area, shelf cuts (that I left out above) and a closeup of the dogholes (made by driiling all the way through the 5/4 tabletop and backing with 2x6 scraps from underneath).

This weekend it gets finished with trim. Then we make the doors and hang 'em.

Jerry Olexa
11-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Kelly there's something satisying when you do a project for the shop that you make with discarded or "on hand" materials. You feel you're getting rid of some clutter, not damaging your wallet and adding value/use to your WW shop. Good job! My dogs ,past and present, also generally do NOT like the sound of the power equipment, Now that its leaf season, here in Illinois, me dog hides when I start up the J. Deere.

Tyler Howell
11-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Great work space and storage Kelly. They say one of the most important tools in the shop is a good bench.

Rich Konopka
11-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Nice Job Kelly. Pretty innovative way to fit the slider in there. Are there wheels on the bench? The first photo shows casters and then they look like they were hidden or removed? If so, how do you lock them?

Chris Padilla
11-10-2004, 2:20 PM
Rich took my question! :) Looks good and solid, Kelly. :D

Jim Becker
11-10-2004, 3:20 PM
Lookin' great, Kelly! I'll be drilling a few dog holes myself "soon"... :D

Kelly C. Hanna
11-10-2004, 9:09 PM
Thanks guys, I am taking my time on this one to make sure it's thought out as I go and not just slammed together like the last one.

Rich, the casters are still there and believe it or not, they are easy to lock down. I can reach under the framework and adjust them. I have 1.5" from the cement to the bottom so it's easily accessed. I mounted them this way cause I made the frame too tall by the thickness of the top, so I had to find a way to get it back down in height to function as an outfeed table.

Jim, your bench is fantastic looking. I like the height adjustment feature...wish I'd have thought of that....maybe next bench I build, I can work that into the design.

It's meant to be 1/2" or so under the height of the table saw's top so I can put a sacrificial top on it when using it as an outfeed...hence the two rows of dogholes. I plan to put a piece of ply on it with 2 permanent dogs sticking out so it won't slide off the bench. That way the finish will stay intact for longer without all manner of wood sliding on it...:D:D

Allen Grimes
11-10-2004, 9:41 PM
Kelly, thanks for deciding to make your bench at the exact same time as I'm designing mine. Im gettin a lot of ideas off of you. Just two questions.

1) How did you know?

2) What are the dogholes/dogs for?

Kelly C. Hanna
11-10-2004, 11:49 PM
Allen...you're welcome. I hope those who want to build a new bench soon will get some ideas, heck I just stole one from another post this week (open top shelf for laying tools on whilst working).

I didn't know....

Dog holes are for securing stock when sanding or doing anything requiring the stock to stay still.

Allen Grimes
11-11-2004, 12:28 AM
Dog holes are for securing stock when sanding or doing anything requiring the stock to stay still.
Ahhh, very nice. In class we just nail scraps right into the bench.

Kelly C. Hanna
11-11-2004, 12:42 AM
Ahhh, very nice. In class we just nail scraps right into the bench.
Hmm...I guess I was a little ahead of the game screwin' 'em in! :D:D:D

Mark Singer
11-11-2004, 2:07 AM
Kelly,

Great work and very nice design! I like the furry guy too!