PDA

View Full Version : PBS show on fracking - on line

Mitchell Andrus
03-29-2010, 2:10 PM
Fracking is a term used to describe the pumping of water laced with chemicals into the ground to extract natural gas.

Unfortunately, drinking water supplies are being affected in areas where this is being done. Tens of thousands of acres are affected by the release of heavy metals, toxins, etc. into the drinking water supply. It was interesting to see a man light the natural gas as it came out of his kitchen faucet. The kids in town discovered this first of course. Pretty cool if you're 12. Not cool is that they may do this (as many as 20,000 wells) in the area that supplies water to 16 million people in the New York City area.

34 states are affected. The companies doing the work are exempt from EPA regs.

The 23 minute show can be seen here:
http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/613/index.html

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/gas-firm-cabot-agrees-to-reforms-will-restore-water-supplies-1.392588

I'm looking for another planet. This one's all used up.

Jason Roehl
03-29-2010, 2:54 PM

The Space Shuttle is about to be retired, and Ares I (our next generation of heavy-lift space rocketry) has been all but canceled. Good luck getting to another planet!

Heather Thompson
03-29-2010, 3:00 PM
Mitchell,

Thank you for the link, I would like to see the entire management team (CEO on down) and their families move into these communities to make the folks realize that there is absolutely no danger to their health. I watch alot of PBS as I believe they provide the best information, FrontLine in particular.

Heather

PS Did anyone that took the time to watch the video notice where the gas companies targeted their activities, the poor, wonder why?

Jim O'Dell
03-29-2010, 3:03 PM
Oh man, I've watched too much Battlestar Gallactica and Caprica!!! :eek::eek::eek: Jim.

Pat Germain
03-29-2010, 3:23 PM
That is a pretty lousy situation, Mitchell. It reminds me of the freshwater systems on old Navy aircraft carriers I used to ride. The water always smelled like jet fuel (JP-5). (Old-timers swore they could sometimes light the tops of their coffee cups and burn off the fuel. But I never actually saw this.)

I've read similar stories from the Southeast. Hog ranchers there spray waste onto their fields. Some of it ended up in the groundwater and contaminated wells for miles around. In this case, people became very sick and it was obvious.

Bryan Morgan
03-29-2010, 5:58 PM

I've already claimed Mars for myself, sorry. Once I somehow get myself there I'm setting up a massive missile and laser defense system to keep everyone else away. :D

Neal Clayton
03-30-2010, 11:25 AM
I've already claimed Mars for myself, sorry. Once I somehow get myself there I'm setting up a massive missile and laser defense system to keep everyone else away. :D

in 2138 your great great great grandkids will get a letter stating "we regret to inform you that mars has been removed from protection under the Interplanetary High Power Laser Drilling Act, please find a new planet at your leisure, sorry, have a nice day"

Greg Peterson
03-30-2010, 12:27 PM
in 2138 your great great great grandkids will get a letter stating "we regret to inform you that mars has been removed from protection under the Interplanetary High Power Laser Drilling Act, please find a new planet at your leisure, sorry, have a nice day"

Don't Panic!

Rod Sheridan
03-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Don't Panic!

And don't forget your towel..........Rod.

Dave Johnson29
03-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Guys, don't get too excited. In the interests of fair reporting, they said that Fracking has been a contentious issue for many many years and the Government is finally going to do a scientific investigation.

I always prefer scientific to anecdotal. I applaud PBS for including some of the other side's argument. That guy who filmed it really needs to buy a steady-cam for his next expose. :D

Also that burning gas from the faucet could have been a set up. Really easy to do if you wanted to make a point to a gullible news hound.

As for the 596 chemicals I sincerely doubt they make a cocktail of them all. I suspect the list of chemicals that can be used would total 596 but unlikely they would mix up that many for one dump.

Hair loss in cats...
www. peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2141&aid=195
Remove space after the www.

Hair loss in horses...
www. thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=409
Remove space after the www.

Just sayin, ya know.

Horton Brasses
03-30-2010, 1:03 PM
I have a couple of blacksmiths who work for me who are dealing with this exact issue. They have done a pretty nice job documenting their experiences here:

http://members.citynet.net/sootypaws/Woods/gaswell/index.html

Bryan Morgan
03-30-2010, 2:07 PM

Hopefully they won't have evolved their thumbs away.... :p

Mitchell Andrus
03-30-2010, 2:54 PM
I always prefer scientific to anecdotal. I applaud PBS for including some of the other side's argument. That guy who filmed it really needs to buy a steady-cam for his next expose. :D

Love Canal started as an anecdotal figment of the resident's imaginations until the government got involved.... far too late.

In EVERY clean up small and large, and every time the government closes a town, the canary in the coal mine drops dead and is ignored until it's too late and the problem gets too expensive to manage. In this case, the dead canary is not just an anecdote.

Greg Peterson
03-30-2010, 3:25 PM
I agree that burning water isn't evidence enough. However, there is more than ample evidence of industry acting badly because there were no regulations or they didn't get caught. Far to many times loopholes were exploited for the fast buck, leaving a ruined lives and property in their wake.