PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder HF W/ Ebony Finial/Accents

George Guadiane
03-29-2010, 1:07 PM
This saw first light at the NWA Showcase/AWA Totally Turning (Totally AWESOME) this past weekend.
Box elder hollow form with Gabon ebony finial and fittings.
This is the first finial that I finished and liked (OK, I didn't think it was awful - I'm getting there).
The finish is water based poly buffed and waxed.
Overall height: 11 1/8 inches HF: 6 1/2 inches
Diameter: 4 7/8 inches

As Always, All Critiques, Comments and Questions Welcome!

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2010, 1:41 PM
George - very nice work! Great form! Very nice detail work on the finial! Interesting idea for a decorative foot!

Very nice work! I am sure it must have received a fair amount of attention at the show!

Robert McGowen
03-29-2010, 2:25 PM
Very nice, George. I have no clue about finials, but the HF looks great.

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2010, 3:31 PM
George that is a beauty. Form and finish look great. The finial looks good with nice detail.

Richard Madison
03-29-2010, 5:44 PM
Beautiful HF George. The finial is a bit overpowering, but has nice clean details and smooth curvatures. Would look great on a larger piece.

Baxter Smith
03-29-2010, 5:45 PM
Nice HF! Know little about finials but this one is a little different. Looks good!

John Keeton
03-29-2010, 7:44 PM
George, great work! I have yet to do a hollow form of this shape, but it looks like it would be tricky. Nice work on the finial, too. I am still working on the proportions with finials - they can be a challenge.

David E Keller
03-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Nice work, George. I like the incorporation of the ebony foot to match the finial.

Mark Hubl
03-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Very nice, I really like box elder and the ebony accents are sweet.

Jeff Nicol
03-30-2010, 4:54 AM
George, I love the Box elder and the finial/foot contrast. THe finial has a robust look to it, but very well done. I like the acorn top knot on it best! Glad you had a good time at the show and having it seen by many can only lead to more interest in your work.

Thanks for sharing,
Jeff

Tony Joyce
03-30-2010, 7:46 AM
Beautiful wood and execution. Love the finial!

Dennis Ford
03-30-2010, 1:02 PM
That is a really nice piece. I have not used water based poly but might have to try some, your finish looks great.

George Guadiane
03-30-2010, 5:09 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments and observations.
Tony, I almost ruined my computer screen trying to get that "bug" off of it.

I used the ebony foot for the first time as the result of a design opportunity, as I was taking off the tenon of a box elder hollow form. I decided to add a collar to keep a balance and make it look intentional.
SWMBO loved it, so it sold right away. I made another (and sold it) and just finished this one, deciding to try and add a finial.
"ROBUST?" What an elegant way of saying too sturdy (it is, I know... The next one goes on a diet).

The water based poly is VanAqua 480, but I'm thinking about trying the 485 because of the higher hardness and UV protection. I start with the semi-gloss and buff up, just in case I ever want a softer finish.
If you want to order from them, They are now called Green Light Coatings (http://www.greenlightcoatings.com/index.htm). You need to tell them you are a turner (they seem to like turners) or their minimum order is 5 gallons (I think)... One gallon goes a LOONng way.

Wally Dickerman
03-30-2010, 8:27 PM
George, having made quite a few finials, I've come up with a few "rules" for myself. One of them is that there should be no two dimensions the same.

Your finial has the two widest points almost the same dia. I think that it would be more appealing if one or the other was larger/smaller. Clear as mud?

Wally