PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Jeff Nicol!

Matt Owen
03-29-2010, 12:24 PM
I decided to try building a Jeff Nicol style steady rest myself, and with some helpful information from Jeff I think mine turned out pretty good. I chose 3 wheels over 4 just so I could use it on smaller diameter work pieces. I know my welds don't look as pretty as his do, but they are strong. This thing is a whole lot quieter than the one I had made out of wood, and it's rock solid.

Sorry for the grainy pic. I didn't notice that it was grainy until I put it on my computer, and I'm too lazy to retake it.

Thanks for the idea and the help, Jeff!

Matt

bob svoboda
03-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Looks good to me. Nice Job.

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Looks Good Matt
What did you use for the Steel Ring & where did you get the Ring?
I know of a couple of Club members that I'm sure would build one if they had the Steel Ring.

Mark Norman
03-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Looks to be aluminum, that ups the skill level when welding for sure. Form follows function and looks like yours will perform just fine. Good Job! I am also curious where you found the ring.

And Yes, Jeff is a great guy.

alex carey
03-29-2010, 1:10 PM
looking good, turned out pretty dang nice.

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2010, 1:20 PM
Matt - that sure looks nice!

I built a steady out of wood and made it with 4 wheels because if you use a hollowing system that has a laser - the top center wheel would be in the way. With the 4 wheel - a lot of time I end up moving the upper 10 o'clock position wheel totally out of the way so I can track where the laser is hitting the turning.

Matt Owen
03-29-2010, 1:21 PM
I bought the ring from McMaster Carr. It's a 16" diameter pipe flange (called an angle ring), item number 1764K62.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#angle-rings/=6fhzkf

It's made out of steel, and then spray painted with a metalic silver paint to somewhat match my lathe.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Matt

Mark Norman
03-29-2010, 1:36 PM
Matt - that sure looks nice!

I built a steady out of wood and made it with 4 wheels because if you use a hollowing system that has a laser - the top center wheel would be in the way. With the 4 wheel - a lot of time I end up moving the upper 10 o'clock position wheel totally out of the way so I can track where the laser is hitting the turning.

I see no reason you could not fabricate it with provisions to use 3 or 4 wheels whether it be made form wood or metal. Would be more versatile.

It's made out of steel, and then spray painted with a metalic silver paint to somewhat match my lathe.

LOL, sure looked lake aluminum. $20 is not bad for the ring.

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2010, 3:36 PM
Looks great and looks like it will work.

Baxter Smith
03-29-2010, 5:43 PM
Looks like it should work well!

Ray Bell
03-29-2010, 6:58 PM
Looks good Matt, if it works as well as Jeff's steady you will love it.

Jeff Nicol
03-29-2010, 7:05 PM
Matt, It looks like it will do the trick. I just picked up 7 more rings today so keep up with the ones I have to make right now. The welding thing is all about timing and getting the heat correct for the material you are working with. It looks like you were a little cold and maybe a bit to fast. But sometimes the worst welds last the longest! I have some on my old tractor that I bet are 40 years old and look like chicken poop, but they are still there and holding what they were ment to hold! G

Glad you got it done and you should be happy with making it yourself, it always gives a guy satisfaction knowing they did it themselves.

Have fun,

Jeff

John Keeton
03-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Matt, congrats on the steady, but this thread has just reminded me again of why I had Jeff make mine!!:D;) I could take that pile of metal and it would be unrecognizable when I got through with it.

You did a good job on this one!!

David E Keller
03-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Nice job, but I'm with Mr. Keeton on this one. I'll go to Jeff when the time comes.