PDA

View Full Version : Slide Saw and Band Saw Cutting Method Questions

Johnnyy Johnson
03-29-2010, 10:46 AM
I have a 12” miter slide saw. When I make a cross cut on a board that is wide enough to require pulling back on the slide, I pull it out enough to start on the side opposite the fence. Occasionally when I get almost through with the cut the board will pinch the blade and burn it on the side opposite the fence. What am I doing wrong? Should I start on the side next to the fence and pull out.

Next question…band saw.. Yesterday I was re sawing a 8” wide board into 3/16” pcs.(board is up right, not laying flat) When I would start the cut about 20” ’s into it the board would become hard to push and then saw dust would fall out of the kerf and then the board would become easy to push. ( the dust was going everywhere except into the vac system) Obviously the sawdust not going below the table and into the vac is the problem, but what am I doing wrong. It’s kind of like the saw needs a slitter to hold the kerf open. To fast, to slow??

Geoff Chapman
03-29-2010, 11:19 AM
What kind of blade are you using on your bandsaw?

Johnnyy Johnson
03-29-2010, 11:35 AM
4 T 1/2" Timberwolf..

Joe Scharle
03-29-2010, 11:58 AM
If you look closely at the piece on your SCMS, you'll probably see a gap between the work and the fence. As you cut, the piece will slide back toward the fence due to the kerf you're now making. At the same time, the kerf closes and pinches the blade. So, if there's a gap at the fence, flip the piece over. BTW, you won't have a square cut in any event, until you place a jointed edge against the fence.

As to the bandsaw, so many things come to mind but when I resaw, I keep a carpenter's shim in my hip pocket. As you can see in the pic, I've shoved it into the kerf to keep it from closing.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/194/thumbs/ResawFence2.jpg (http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/194/ResawFence2.jpg)

Johnnyy Johnson
03-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks Joe..I was wondering if putting a piece in the kerf would help. I'll have one ready next time I resaw. Thanks for the tip on the cross cut.