PDA

View Full Version : What is the process for using DNA?

Roger Chandler
03-29-2010, 8:28 AM
I have never used DNA on a project, but have wondered about it after hearing some of the posters on this forum speak us using it to help dry a turning.

Am I correct in this sequence? Turn the project, bowl, vase etc, and then wipe or immerse it in DNA? Does it matter if the walls are say 1/4" thick vs. 1/8" thick?

Does it work best on thin walled turnings? What precautions should one use, as I think this stuff is a bit volatile, and does one have to use a vapor respirator?

Just want to stay safe, and end up with good results for the turnings. I am a newbie in this respect, and all help is appreciated.

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2010, 8:39 AM
Roger,

This is for green wood turnings, so you rough out your turning to 10% of the diameter and then soak the piece in DNA. When it comes out of the DNA, you wrap the outside in brown paper bag or newspaper to slow down the drying but allow the air to circulate on the inside. The result is that you usually can finish turn that piece in a month or so - depending on temp and humidity at the time.

Here is the reference: http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_473.shtml

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Roger, Steve beat me to it but would add I leave like fruit wood (apple, cherry, plum, etc) soak for a week and most domestic woods soak a minimum of 3 days. I have had excellent luck and haven't lost but maybe 3 bowls in the last 2 or 3 yrs. Follow the instructions of Dave Smith and you should have no problems.

Richard Golde
03-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Roger,

I have tried DNA soaking and it does shorten up the drying time but you still have to be patient with the drying. When the weight stabilizes they are dry. I have never had to have any breathing apparatus as the bowls are in a plastic 5 gallon pail with a tight fitting lid and the only time you get any vapor is when you take off the lid to remove the bowls. As far as the instructions go I once thought that the alcohol displaced all of the water and when you took the bowl out of the alcohol all you had to do is let the alcohol evaporate off with the bowl sitting out. That was a mistake. Oh well we all need firewood.

Richard golde

Roger Chandler
03-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Roger,

This is for green wood turnings, so you rough out your turning to 10% of the diameter and then soak the piece in DNA. When it comes out of the DNA, you wrap the outside in brown paper bag or newspaper to slow down the drying but allow the air to circulate on the inside. The result is that you usually can finish turn that piece in a month or so - depending on temp and humidity at the time.

Here is the reference: http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_473.shtml

Steve,

Thanks a bunch for the link and info. You in particular have always come through with good info for me when I have asked a question. I appreciate you and others on this forum for helping a fellow turner out. :)