PDA

View Full Version : Check my thinking please.....

Mike McAfee
03-29-2010, 12:10 AM
I just got a new Nova 1624/44 and have quite a bit of wobble with my G3 chuck! The chuck is very true on my Jet with a Nova brand insert but when buying the 1.25 insert for the Nova the sales clerk suggested I buy the cheaper WoodRiver brand for 6 bucks ver. $22. he said it was just as good! Hmmmmmmmmmm...

I've read a few threads on this subject so I've tried most the tests and it does seem to be the chuck with the WR insert! The face plate appears to be true (I don't trust my eyes on this and I don't have a dial indicator).

The tail stock and drive spur are aligned so I reckon I should turn a spindle now to check that!

What I'd like to know from those savvy to this kinda stuff is, am I on the right track and is it common for these cheap inserts to be that outta true?

Thanks in advance for any and all response!

MMc

Jim Slovik
03-29-2010, 12:14 AM
I've had the same problem with the cheaper insert. I'd be willing to bet that if you replace it with a TT insert, the chuck will run true. Mine did.
Jim

Mike McAfee
03-29-2010, 1:02 AM
Thanks Jim!

New development...... I just turned a spindle between centers and it was true! Rule out the lathes spindle and or bearings! I had been turning at the 2 lowest speeds (214 and 360) and since that's purdy slow for a spindle I bumped it up to 1440 and finished it up slick as snot. Got me thinking..... I chucked up a bowl I had on the bench and at 1440, 1020 it appeared and cut true! At 684 the bowl appeared true and the chuck just the tiniest hint (visually) of wobble! Back down to the lowest speeds and the wobble is back!

I'm now thinking it just has to be the insert OR I've just never turned this slow and it's semi normal?!?!? I'd think true at ANY speed is what it SHOULD be right?!?!?

I'll order a new insert first thing in the AM!

Any and all other suggestions ALWAYS welcome!

MMc

Thom Sturgill
03-29-2010, 7:34 AM
Mike, this is why I started a thread asking about spindle adapters. I bought a Jet 1642 as an upgrade from a 1220 and none of my chucks will fit (the g3 can, and will, have the internal adapter replaced) without a spindle extender/adapter and the consensus seems to be that the available ones were all fine. However I have heard negatives about the alternative inserts and will buy the factory replacement.

Bill Blasic
03-29-2010, 7:50 AM
When those Wood River adapters first came out I tried them. I did a comparison of the Nova insert and the cheaper Wood River. With a dial indicator and the spindle turned by hand the run out was virtually the same and figured that this was a buy. But as I started using the chuck with the wood river insert it was very obvious that they were not the same. It seemed under speed that the Wood River adapted chuck was all over the place and it was certainly true when changing ends on the piece and finding that the piece was way out of round. It is well worth the extra $16 dollars to get the Nova insert and not have the problems associated with a wobbly chuck.
Bill

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2010, 8:03 AM
Mike - Congrats on your new lathe! Pick up the Nova adapter and you'll most likely solve your problem!

Alan Trout
03-29-2010, 8:10 AM
The wood river inserts are not long enough. They do not seat at the bottom inside of the chuck. That inside shoulder is where the insert has to seat properly for the chuck to run true/concentric. Take it back to your woodcraft and get the Nova insert clean the threads on both the insert and the chuck and assemble. All should be well after that. Also tell the clerk they are not just as good. There is a reason that Nova tells people to only use their insert.

Good Luck

Alan

Charlie Reals
03-29-2010, 8:21 AM
The wood river inserts are not long enough. They do not seat at the bottom inside of the chuck. That inside shoulder is where the insert has to seat properly for the chuck to run true/concentric. Take it back to your woodcraft and get the Nova insert clean the threads on both the insert and the chuck and assemble. All should be well after that. Also tell the clerk they are not just as good. There is a reason that Nova tells people to only use their insert.

Good Luck

Alan

+1 on that. When i switched from the WR insert to the nova I could tell the difference when it seated. There was a definable difference immediately in the wobble.

Randy Hoch
03-29-2010, 2:11 PM
I had the exact problem with my Ist 1.25x8 tpi Nova insert, not even the cheap one. Swapped out the insert (@no charge fortunately) and problem solved.

Randy

Mike McAfee
03-29-2010, 4:09 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!

I called WC this morning and got the original salesman so I told him I appreciated him trying to save me money but that he might consider suggesting the TT insert in the future!

I have a new one on it's way so hopefully will be up and running by Wed. or Thurs!