PDA

View Full Version : What to do, what to do?

Mark Burge
03-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Okay, this may be a stealth gloat, but, I've gotten a couple of big burls from the same guy that I found that one on the side of the road a while back:D. Turns out he is taking down a black cherry tree (solves the black walnut/black cherry mystery) a few pieces at a time. My question is this: Since I don't have time to rough out a bunch of bowls and HFs now, should I just slice up the burl in blank size blocks and let it dry like that? I would guess I should bag them if I do. Or, is is better to leave the burls as is in log form? :confused: Thanks,

Dennis Puskar
03-29-2010, 12:24 AM
I think I would slice it up and seal it with anchor seal or some other wood sealer.

Dennis

Richard Madison
03-29-2010, 12:29 AM
If it is going to be a while before you get to it, one vote for making clean cuts on the log ends and sealing with a couple coats of Anchorseal. Protect from direct sun and rain, off the ground.

Mark Burge
03-29-2010, 12:31 AM
I think I would slice it up and seal it with anchor seal or some other wood sealer.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I have never used anchor seal. Do you think a polyurethane coat would do just as well?

Steve Vaughan
03-29-2010, 7:57 AM
Mark, I'd think the anchorseal is gonna be much better. Paint it on just like you'd do the poly...I use a 6" roller personally, just dip it into the bucket and roller it on.

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2010, 7:59 AM
Mark - I would do as Richard has suggested. By keeping the wood in log form it helps to slow down moisture loss naturally. Anchorseal is your best choice - after that you can use whatever you have on hand if it is only going to be a short time before you can turn it.

As far as the poly - if it is waterbased - it will crack when dry and then allow the wood to check. If it is oil-based it will work a little better but you need to check on the coated ends frequently and re-coat as necessary.

Best of luck with this! Looking forward to seeing more of the Black Cherry!

charlie knighton
03-29-2010, 9:20 AM
i just put a piece of cherry burl in my cardboard barrels, let you know in 6 months how it reacts

Sean Troy
03-29-2010, 10:02 AM
I would use the Anchorseal. It's worth the money knowing your burl is well protected.

Mark Burge
03-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. The anchorseal on the cut ends sounds like the way to go. Just a bonus that it's the easiest thing to do too, eh?

Charlie, I look forward to hearing how the cardboard works out for you. Let's see, check back at the end of Sept. right?

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Mark I agree with the others. I would leave it in log form and use anchorseal. I have tried the latex paint, poly, or whatever route and when they dry the wood will crack. Latex paint with two coats will work in a pinch till you get some anchorseal.

George Guadiane
03-29-2010, 1:01 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. The anchorseal on the cut ends sounds like the way to go. Just a bonus that it's the easiest thing to do too, eh?

Charlie, I look forward to hearing how the cardboard works out for you. Let's see, check back at the end of Sept. right?

Mark, if you decide to cut the burl up, you CAN seal all of the surfaces with paraffin/candle/sealing wax as follows:
Get a used electric frying pan (that works) - garage sales $5.00 or so.
Get wax (old candles - color, if you don't mind hiding the wood grain) garage sales very cheap canning wax (Gulf wax) 5-7 per pound.
Melt the wax in the pan. Dip surfaces in wax.
The moisture cannot escape and the blanks will stay for years - mine have, so far.