PDA

View Full Version : Look what followed me home frome the saw mill

Brad McCollum
11-10-2004, 12:20 AM
I finally found a mill that will work with me. The trip was several hours each way but it was worth it. 2 logs are ambrosia maple the other 2 are red maple and silver maple. Can't wait to run a gouge through it. :D Thanks to my buddy, unloading was a breeze. I can see the shavings piling up now.

....oops, guess I'd better figure out how to post pics

Ken Fitzgerald
11-10-2004, 9:10 AM
Brad....looks like you have the picture posting figured out......Please post some of the after effects of cutting, drying and the resultant projects! By the way.....Welcome to the 'Creek!

Glenn Hodges
11-10-2004, 9:47 AM
Looking at the ends of those logs, from what I can tell it looks like your trip was well worth your time. I know we will see some pictures of some beautiful bowls.

Jim Becker
11-10-2004, 9:57 AM
Yummy stuff, Brad!! Nice score. But that trailer had its work cut out for it, judging from how close the rear tire is to the fender...that's a lot of wood!

Jack Hogoboom
11-11-2004, 9:26 AM
Brad,

How are you going to mount those between centers??!! :eek: You must have a very longggggg lathe bed. :D

Let us know how you decide to carve up the wood. I'm interested in seeing how you deal with all of it.

Jack

Steve Roxberg
11-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Am I the only one who quicly scanned his location. I was hoping he was in the neighborhood, I'd want to stop by.

Very nice collection of logs.

Brad McCollum
11-12-2004, 5:00 PM
Here are some pics of the 1st batch from those logs shown above. The bowls on the left are 15" plus diameter and 7"-8" deep.The smaller ones on the right are 10"-12" diameter and were cored from the 1st bunch. The 2nd photo is of the next stack of blanks I'll run. I cut the log into 17" long sections then ripped about 3" out of the middle to remove the pith. Then each half was chainsawed into a block about 16" x 16" x 8". The next step was to run the block through the band saw creating 15 3/4" diameter blanks(my lathe has a 16" swing). The blanks are then mounted to the lathe using a screw chuck and supported with the tailstock. After turning the outside the blanks are reversed, chucked and cored. The rough turned bowls are then soap soaked for an hour or 2 then put on the shelf to dry. The smaller bowls go in paper bags for a month then open air for another 3-4 months. The larger bowls seem to do ok without the bags but still take 4-5 months to dry. These will be salad bowls for next springs art and craft shows. By the way the 3" I take out of the center as well as the other cut off is band sawed into turning squares for candle holders and such.
This silver maple turns great but is awfull to core. I've broken the tenon on several bowls and may have to start using a face plate or go to the larger #4 jaws for my stronghold chuck.

Jack Hogoboom
11-12-2004, 8:07 PM
Let us know if that pile of blanks becomes too overwhelming.... Looks like you'll be turning them for quite a while.

Jack

Brad McCollum
11-12-2004, 10:49 PM
Ya know Jack it's amazing the amount of help I've been offered with this wood. :) I still do this part time, evenings and weekends. It'll take 1 night to do the bandsaw work, 1 night to turn the out sides(about four hours) of a dozen blanks, about 10 hours to core them and then about another 8 hours to turn the cores, inside and out. Then it's on to the next batch. But I'll have to let the blanks in the photo set for a week or two, I just got a bunch of maple burl from the dump(mulch yard), so I'll run that first. Oh and there's the stack of box elder blanks I have waiting, and the commission job I have to finish up. Did I mention that I still do this part time? I think I'll go back out to the shop.