PDA

View Full Version : Maple Hollowed Form w/Finial

BILL DONAHUE
03-28-2010, 7:12 PM
Finally got back to the lathe last Sunday after a layoff of about a month. (The winds were howling and couldn't get the boat offshore, which I guess, makes woodturning a weather dependant hobby for me.)

This is a piece of maple that was given to me by a friend. It's 12 1/4" high (w/finial) and 6" wide, and with the exception of the bottom, is about 1/4" thick. I have the Monster Mini Hollowing tool and can't get deeper than about 6" so the bottom is about 2" thick. It was turned fairly green so not sure how if it'll warp as it dries. The finial is ebonized cherry (the only thing that was around.) Finished with several coats of lacquer.

At some point in the not too distant future, I'll sell the Monster Mini and splurge for the larger Monster. Randy puts out a terrific tool but I'm ready to do larger hollowings. If anyone has suggestions other than the Monster, let me know.

Michael Short
03-28-2010, 7:15 PM
Great looking hollow form. I like the finial.

John Keeton
03-28-2010, 7:31 PM
Nice work, Bill. That maple is a really nice piece and the ebonized finial picks up the black in the spalt lines nicely.

charlie knighton
03-28-2010, 7:38 PM
very nice...

Roland Martin
03-28-2010, 7:43 PM
Very nice form on that great piece of maple. The finial fits this piece perfectly. Very nice HF Bill.

Steve Schlumpf
03-28-2010, 8:02 PM
Very nice work Bill! Great looking wood and finial!

As far as hollowing tools - just speaking for myself - I would stick with the Monster tools!

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2010, 8:05 PM
Really nice piece out of some great looking wood Bill. I like the form and finial looks really nice.

David E Keller
03-28-2010, 8:18 PM
Great looking form and beautiful wood. The lid transition is particularly nice.

Curt Fuller
03-28-2010, 8:34 PM
I can't offer any advice on the hollowing system. But that sure is a nice looking Hollowform.

James Roberts
03-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Bill, that is a beautiful piece, both in the wood you have used and the fine work you have done to it.

Baxter Smith
03-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Very pretty piece!

Wally Dickerman
03-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Okay, so you took the safe route with the boat. Good thinking.

I like the vessel very much. The curves are good, the finial is well done.

I'm wondering what kind of maple this is. Doesn't look at all like the NW Bigleaf Maple that I'm used to using.

Wally

George Guadiane
03-29-2010, 12:49 PM
I have been trying to improve MY finials, so I'm looking at what everyone else is doing...
I like yours quite a bit!

John Tomasello jr
03-29-2010, 6:32 PM
Beautiful piece of wood Bill you did it justice, nice looking form & finial

BILL DONAHUE
03-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement.

Wally, I'm not sure what type of maple it is. I called the friend who gave it to me and he didn't know. It may look unusual because I wrapped in in 3 plastic bags after rough turning it and over a 6 week period it became spaulted. This was the deepest thing I've turned and it caused the lathe to sound like a bearing was giving out. I realized it was time to get a steady rest so I wrapped it , set it aside, and forgot it for 6 weeks or so.

Timothy Carter
04-02-2010, 4:24 PM
I have the Jamieson system with both the 3/4" and 1" bars and like it a lot. It takes a lot of the physical effort out of turning a hollow form and with the laser set up, you can get very uniform wall thicknesses with a bit of practice. I've had it for about 3 years and use it very regularly. I want to try the new carbide cutter but I'm not willing to pay their price yet.
Tim Carter