PDA

View Full Version : S&P shaker display (pics)

John Miliunas
11-09-2004, 11:50 PM
Well, I can now put the "DONE" stamp on one little project. :) Finally got LOML's salt & pepper shaker collection display done! :D Nothing too spectacular, but it serves the purpose. It's right around 17x47 and notched into the wall between the kitchen and dining area. Simple process, really. Find the studs, cut out the drywall to her spec'd size and frame in top/btm. I then cased it with Hard Maple, dadoing grooves for the double-strength glass shelves. I had several larger chunks of the glass that I had picked up many years ago, figuring on some kind of project for them, not knowing that I'd be cutting them down. Had my doubts about cutting the double-strength, but it worked quite well. Once scored, I had to give the cut piece a pretty hefty "thud" with the fist, but generally got clean breaks. Sanded the edges on the exposed side a bit and good to go. Cut down a sheet of Plexi to size and screwed it to the casing, then did the trim. (The display is at the bottom of some open stairs, so didn't want to risk regular plate glass!) Had to drill out recess holes on the back side of the trim to cover the screws, but that worked out OK, as well. (Needed to be sure everything is removable.) The trim is Cherry, treated with the lye solution to age it. So, SO many "thanks" to all the folks who guided me on that one! Works great! :) The feature strip is inlay-ed Hard Maple. Plugs are also Maple, right off the store shelf. I think I may pull them and do a coat of finish on them, just to darken them up a bit. If this gives you any idea what I'm in for, LOML has decided THIS is what she wants for all the window trim in the house! :eek: Finish is simply three light coats of water-based poly. First shot is as you come down the stairs. 2nd shot is floor level, from the dining area to the kitchen. 3rd shot is a closeup of the trim and corner detail. Thanks for taking a peek and, as usual, critiques ARE welcome! :) :cool:

Dean Baumgartner
11-09-2004, 11:58 PM
Looks very nice John. I especially like the inlay. Really sets things off. I'm sure loyl is very happy with it.

Dean

Brad Olson
11-10-2004, 12:19 AM
I like the inlays as well, maple inlaid in a good dark wood is one of my favorite accents.

Tony Sade
11-10-2004, 6:01 AM
Ok-How come the leaves don't go all the way to the bottom of the wall? How'd ya like that critique, eh? ;)

Seriously, though, nice work. Love the contrast created by the inlay.

Tony Falotico
11-10-2004, 6:35 AM
as usual, critiques ARE welcome! :) :cool:

No critiques here John, I particularly like the flush mount recessed in the wall concept. Gives a very nice display and uses otherwise dead space. I've often thought of making the same thing 14.5" by 14.5" square and flush mounting several of them between studs in some sort of checker board pattern. LOML frowns every time I mention it, so it never got done. Maybe when she see's yours ............

Terry Quiram
11-10-2004, 7:07 AM
John

Well done. I guess there are some advantages to major renovation. :D

Terry

Herb Blair
11-10-2004, 7:10 AM
Very nice work John.

Michael Stafford
11-10-2004, 8:26 AM
John, a very creative use of space and a nice project. Looks good. If LOYL collects any more S&P shakers where will she put them. You had better get busy building the next display case. Also it is obvious that the leaves haven't fallen as far on that part of the wall, or did you sand them off because of a mistake installing the display case, or did you already rake them up? :p ;)

Good work keeping the LOYL happy. :D

Jeff Sudmeier
11-10-2004, 8:29 AM
I saw this display on Monday night at John's house, it is a real piece of work! It looks great... The trim around the windows is going to look wonderful!

John Miliunas
11-10-2004, 8:37 AM
Thanks for all the too kind comments, gents. :o Now, as for the leaves, it's still Fall and they're not all down yet! :) Actually, that's LOML's project and still WIP. Guess she's going to mix in/overlap more w/different colors. She's used MANY of our walls as LARGE artist pads! :D I trust her, as most of them come out quite nicely. She did the majority of the dining/living room walls in a "Venetian Plaster" process. Looks pretty cool! :) :cool:

Donnie Raines
11-10-2004, 8:47 AM
Looking good!

Dick Parr
11-10-2004, 8:58 AM
WOW John, great looking display. Love the contrasting woods and trim. You did a fine job my friend. :)

Rob Littleton
11-10-2004, 9:06 AM
That is really pretty John. Nice job.

PROBLEM......I dont see any wood shakers in there :-)

John Miliunas
11-10-2004, 9:11 AM
PROBLEM......I dont see any wood shakers in there :-)

You're absolutely right, Rob! Fact is, probably 95%+ of the shakers in there, were collected by LOML's grandmother and handed down to her. The only wooden ones we have are on the table. :) Fortunately for me, she has no intention on adding to it and is quite happy to just have her Grandma's collection displayed. :) :cool:

Mark Singer
11-10-2004, 9:26 AM
John,

Excellent work! Very nice design....The quality of workmanship is excellent! I love the inlays...now your putting all those tools to work!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-10-2004, 9:43 AM
Great work John! I,too, like those inlays!

Jim Becker
11-10-2004, 10:29 AM
OUTSTANDING, John...that's really nice. (And in some locals it would be called a niché.. :D) Great collection, too. Your honey has a good eye for interesting things.

Jerry Olexa
11-10-2004, 10:52 AM
John Great work Love the look of the cherry AND the inlays and detail. You're now a hero in your home (for a day). . This would be a good time to buy more tools. Seriously, good man and good job!!!

Tyler Howell
11-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Nice one John
Going to have to do a personal inspection. Looks like about time for #2.
Jill has got that one filled to capacity.

Chris Padilla
11-10-2004, 1:38 PM
Looking good, John! There is nothing quite like using up that "dead" space between studs for something good. I happen to have space under my stair that may well turn into wood storage for the garage-ma-hal. :)