PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Silhouettes?

Gene Howe
03-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Does anyone know where I can find exact silhouettes of different models of pistols?
I make presentation boxes and must have the piece in my shop until the boxes are finished. Many guys don't want to part with "Betsy" for that long.
Thanks to you all.
Gene

Jim Koepke
03-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Is it possible to make a casting of the original.

Another option might be to make a Xerox copy with a few rulers around it to make sure the scale is correct.

jim

Karl Brogger
03-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Does anyone know where I can find exact silhouettes of different models of pistols?
I make presentation boxes and must have the piece in my shop until the boxes are finished. Many guys don't want to part with "Betsy" for that long.
Thanks to you all.
Gene

Could you trace out a silhouette using a shadow, then hand it back?

a quick and dirty google search brings up this: http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-illustration-10746592-pistol-silhouettes.php

Myk Rian
03-28-2010, 11:39 AM
What pistols are you looking for? I have a 1911a that I can scan for you.

Steven DeMars
03-28-2010, 12:20 PM
I would use a piece of heavy aluminum foil & and a piece of semi-dense foam rubber.

Press it & store mold in a box. Take out when you need to get a measurement.

You could even mold it over by hand without foam rubber.

You could also wrap the gun well in Saran Wrap, lay it on a sheet of white paper, spray it with super fast drying water soluble poster paint. Now you have a true silhouette.

Lex Boegen
03-28-2010, 12:23 PM
I've never done this, but here (http://www.ehow.com/how_6098524_homemade-holsters.html) is an article about making DIY holsters. You might get some good ideas from it.

Gene Howe
03-28-2010, 3:57 PM
Thanks everyone, for all your good suggestions.
Looks like I'll be tracing them.
Gene

Jeff Willard
03-28-2010, 8:21 PM
Do you make a large number of them? If so, you might find something like this helpful:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#blueguns____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

Stephen McGregor
05-13-2010, 2:54 PM
I am starting to make some pistol boxes.. You may find my Dueling Pistol box in this forum, just posted on it.

But my next project is for some Colt Single Action (two boxes, with two revolvers in each). The first, a pair of 4 3/4 Colt SAA's one with Ivory Grips the other with Stag. The second box is for a pair of Cimarron Artillery (5 1/2 SAA's) with Tru Ivory Grips.

What I'd like to find is a scan that my brother (director of the local Carreer and Vocational School can put into their CNC machine to cut out about a 1/3 profile into the box for each of the pistols to rest on. Any Ideas???

Joshua Culp
05-13-2010, 9:40 PM
The BlueGuns that Jeff posted are VERY accurate and true to life. But you're only likely to find them for modern pistols. I have never seen one for SAA's or Cimarrons and the like.

Matt Kestenbaum
05-13-2010, 10:09 PM
There is an early article (from the late 70s or so) in FWW written by John Lively about French fitting a two pistol presentation case. I believe the article dealt with quick methods to capturing silhouettes as well as crafting of the cases itself.