PDA

View Full Version : Two way travel slides

Russell Tribby
03-28-2010, 10:11 AM
I have two identical kitchens that I'm making pull out shelves for. Both kitchens have islands that are accessible from either side. Both customers want pull out shelves that are accessible from either side. I've done a lot of poking around and the only two way slide I've found is the Accuride 2002. My concern is that some of the product descriptions I've read have noted that these are for shelves/drawers up to 12". One of the islands will have shelves that are 18" wide. That doesn't concern me too much, although I'm thinking there may be some racking involved. The other customer wants me to cut the stile on the faceframe and attach it to the back of one of the doors so that the opening is now twice as big. This would mean that the drawers are going to be close to 40" wide. I have tried to caution against this but she is pretty insistent. Accuride does make a heavier duty version of the slide but it costs about 4X as much.
Any thoughts on using a different hardware or how the wider drawers will affect the function of the slides?

Jamie Buxton
03-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Instead of one pullout shelf that goes both ways, can you make two pullout shelves that sit one on top of the other? Each shelf would be able to run the full depth of the cabinet. Each set of drawer slides would run the full depth of the cabinet. And each set of drawer slides would be normal one-way slides.

Russell Tribby
03-28-2010, 3:49 PM
Instead of one pullout shelf that goes both ways, can you make two pullout shelves that sit one on top of the other? Each shelf would be able to run the full depth of the cabinet. Each set of drawer slides would run the full depth of the cabinet. And each set of drawer slides would be normal one-way slides.

As it is now there will be a shelf on the bottom of the cabinet and one above that. The customer would like to be able to pull them out from either side but.....she also would like them to be 40" wide, thus my dilema. I've given her a number of options and am waiting to see what she decides. Although the literature I've read that's provided by Accuride doesn't mention drawer width limitations, some item descriptions I've read do say that their two-way slides should be used with a 12" drawer/shelf at the max. At this point I'm planning on using them with a shelf that is 18". Has anyone used these slides so that you would be able to comment on their performance.