PDA

View Full Version : What the heck does this have to do with Home Owners Insurance?

Michael Weber
03-28-2010, 9:21 AM
Got a call from my insurance agent recommending a new company for my coverage. Seems I meet their particular criteria for the kinds of clients they like to have. You know, things like low claim history and credit score and MEDICAL CLAIMS? Her exact words were that "You medical claims were a little high but who doesn't have medical claims". Really surprised me that a local insurance agent had access to that kind of information. Kind of scary too.

George Sanders
03-28-2010, 9:37 AM
There is NO privacy anymore. My state sells information from the DMV for about four million dollars each year. Nothing is private today, and I fear it will only get worse.

Robert Snowden
03-28-2010, 9:40 AM
What is scary is that all your information can be had by almost anyone with a pc.

David G Baker
03-28-2010, 9:40 AM
Won't be long before they put monitors on your household plumbing so they can rate your insurance by monitoring your bodily functions. I was shocked a few years ago when a friend of mine told me his insurance cost was determined by his credit rating. I really don't care for a lot of government regulation but in this area I think it is long over due. We are forced to have insurance if we have a mortgage. We are forced by laws to have insurance if we operate a motor vehicle on highways.

Matt Meiser
03-28-2010, 9:55 AM
Technically, I believe that they are allowed to give you a discount on insurance in Michigan based on your credit rating. With Farm Bureau, its a significant "discount". And I think you can choose to opt out, but of course would pay "full" price.

Tom Godley
03-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Insurance companies are always looking for ways to reduce small insurance claims. This type of claim represents a significant fixed cost to them. The use of credit scores has been an effective way of determining who will make this type of claim. I guess the same must be true -- somehow - with medical. I am wondering if the agent authorized this - normally you sign papers authorizing him to allow personal data to be released. I do not like any of this - but it does work.

You can save a significant amount of money on insurance each year by raising your deductible. The amount is normally based on location and what is insured - but higher deductibles remove the cost associated with small claim payout.

I normally carry a 1k deductible on my auto policy but it has been as high as 2k and I insure a vacation home with a 5k deductible. The payback can be under two years - and my current company removes the deductible completely when you have a significant loss.

Insurance companies are always looking for policyholders who view insurance as catastrophic coverage.

Jamie Buxton
03-28-2010, 10:29 AM
The agent might not have had any access to your medical claims record. She's just saying something to sound like she knows you well. I get sales pitches all the time offering to do stuff like provide me a lower-cost mortgage, with specific numbers about what my mortgage is. Thing is, they're guessing about the mortgage. Still, it apparently is to their benefit to sound like they know my situation very well.

Dave Johnson29
03-28-2010, 10:46 AM
There is NO privacy anymore. My state sells information from the DMV for about four million dollars each year. Nothing is private today, and I fear it will only get worse.

There are quite a few things you can do. In AZ at least we can opt out of that with the MVD.

Also you can freeze your credit history with the 3 major reporting companies and **no one** can acces them. It costs around 5-bucks per freeze. The cost varies from State to State, but AZ is $5. Fifteen bucks worth of cheap insurance. If you have been a victim if identity theft, the freezes are free.

Some of the background search companies have an option for you to be notified if anyone is looking through your stuff. You can't stop them but you at least know someone is looking. Depending on how you do this it can be free or a small annual fee.

All of these facilities are out there, one just needs to do the research and make the changes to protect yourself. The Government ain't gonna do it.

Hell, you can even request Google not to display the public information about you in their search results.

Dave Johnson29
03-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Thing is, they're guessing about the mortgage.

Hi Jamie,

Nope, the Mortgage is Public record and available through a credit report. It is also available via the local County Property Tax system.

Dave Johnson29
03-28-2010, 11:03 AM
If you really want to scare yourself, do a background check on yourself. There are a ton of companies online and prices range from $1.97 to as much as one is foolish enough to pay for the same stuff. :)

It will list current and previous addresses, phone numbers, date of Birth, friends, family, associates you have dealt with and a big bunch of stuff to really get the juices flowing. For a 40-buck background check they will even provide your SS number.

Most States have their Supreme Court records online for searching and most States it is free to do so.

James Orwell was right, he just didn't know how easy it was going to be though. :eek: :D:D:D

Jamie Buxton
03-28-2010, 7:48 PM
Hi Jamie,

Nope, the Mortgage is Public record and available through a credit report. It is also available via the local County Property Tax system.

Nope. The local county tax system makes public what I pay in taxes. It does not know, and does not care about, whether there's a mortgage on it.

And I kinda doubt that the mortgage is a public record. It is a private deal between me and the mortgage holder. If those advertisers can actually get the numbers, they're doing a terrible job of it, because they generally get 'em wrong.

Dave Johnson29
03-28-2010, 8:48 PM
Nope. The local county tax system makes public what I pay in taxes.

Sorry, this old fart's mistake. It is the County Recorders Office. All usually available online. Owner, lien holder, CC&Rs, recorded deeds and instruments on the property etc etc.

Matt Meiser
03-28-2010, 9:50 PM
And I kinda doubt that the mortgage is a public record. It is a private deal between me and the mortgage holder. If those advertisers can actually get the numbers, they're doing a terrible job of it, because they generally get 'em wrong.

I think you'd be awefully surprised what you can find out for free or for a couple bucks from your county's registrar of deeds. The internet-accessible portion of the portal for our county doesn't show amounts, but you can buy a subscription to view the documents. I went to Lucas County Ohio's site and typed in a friend's name. I see he just refinanced last year, and I know how much for. All for free.

Pat Germain
03-28-2010, 11:24 PM
There is no end to the number of online databases which will provide all kinds of data on people. Sure, you can request an "opt out" with companies like Lexus Nexus and Spokeo. But it's just an exercise in futility. If someone wants to pull data on a group of people, they need only pay a small a fee and get whatever they want.

And the credit lock systems might help a little to prevent ID theft. But it's like stealing a car. If someone really wants to do it, there's nothing you can do about it.

Dave Johnson29
03-29-2010, 10:54 AM
If the water is 100 feet down, it doesn't matter how many 90 foot wells you dig.

Mr. Blandings's dream house?

eeehh - yup.

Neal Clayton
03-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Won't be long before they put monitors on your household plumbing so they can rate your insurance by monitoring your bodily functions. I was shocked a few years ago when a friend of mine told me his insurance cost was determined by his credit rating. I really don't care for a lot of government regulation but in this area I think it is long over due. We are forced to have insurance if we have a mortgage. We are forced by laws to have insurance if we operate a motor vehicle on highways.

the consumer credit business is about as shady as they come, i agree. perfect example of the inherent failure of an unregulated market.

a nephew of mine had the pleasure of dealing with credit fraud awhile back. he financed his fiance's engagement ring. paid the bill before the wedding, but the jewelry store mistakenly (or purposefully, who knows) sent his account to collections after the debt was paid.

there's really no other option at that point other than the threat of lawsuit. he was trying to reason with the collectors calling to collect a debt that isn't his, not realizing that they don't care whose debt it is, all they know is they paid ~10 cents on the dollar for the account and are looking to collect more than that. the only course of action that made any sense was for him to threaten to sue the jewelry store until they admitted fault and bought the account back. because if he actually convinced one debt collector that the debt was invalid, they'd just sell it to a new one.

now, obviously, in at least one link in that chain is fraud. either the jewelry store sold their collection agent false debt, or the initial buyer of the debt knowingly sold the second one false debt.

good luck with ever seeing any of these scheisters in court defending themselves on such a charge, though.