PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Makers - Do you use software to help you design?

Kerry Medeiros
03-28-2010, 1:25 AM
I've recently started a small cabinet shop in my area. I've had a few jobs now and am beginning to think that some software such as Pro100 or 20-20 Kitchen Design could go a long way in helping me design kitchens, create cutlists, create drawings to show customers, etc... However this software comes a big enough cost - upwards of $2000. I'd be interested to hear what are others are using and how they like.

Mike Heidrick
03-28-2010, 4:59 AM
I have heard that there is KCDW and everyone else. Is that true? Supposed to be the best.

George Sanders
03-28-2010, 6:47 AM
I was using a product by ECabinet systems. It allows you to draw up and create libraries. It was free, but I haven't downloaded the new version since I got a new computer.

Mitch Richardson
03-28-2010, 9:56 AM
checkout sketchup from google.
it's free.
it was designed for architectural work. once you've learned how to use it, it is extremely flexible but slower than cabinet specific programs.

Gary Redden
03-28-2010, 10:14 AM
I also use eCabinets. You have to fill out an a form to receive the software but the program works really well. http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/ecabinet_systems_software.htm

Gary

Karl Brogger
03-28-2010, 11:39 AM
I tried eCabinets for a while, hated it.

I've been using Cabnetware from Planit solutions. I think I paid about $4700 for the program. (Not sure, its been about 4 or 5 years) Around here its pretty much the standard. http://www.planit.com/

My version does not do cutlists. It was a $1k option at the time, and I could barely afford the program, and I had to get a new computer as well. Cutlists for boxes are useless, I don't need to read off of a sheat that a unfinished end for a base cabinet is 23"x34-1/2". Most of the numbers are constant, and its faster and easier to figure out decks on the fly. Sorting through a massive pile of parts wastes alot of time.

I do wish mine spit out cut lists for doors and drawers, but I set up a simple spreadsheat that does all the math for me. I just have to make sure I figure the size of the doors correctly, and then punch it in correctly. Typo's is my only real issue with doing it this way.

It is very fast, I can typically draw a whole house of cabinets in an hour, just a kitchen takes 1/2hr if once you know the in's/out's. If you knew how to set up the rendering it can give very impressive results. Fully upgradeable as well, though its cheaper to buy what you need right off the bat, but when isn't it that way?

Karl Brogger
03-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Another note: While the price may have been steep at $4700, it was worth every penny.

(edit)Here's an example of what the drawings look like in a simple view. Dimensions for openings, both hieght and width are invaluable. I kind of wish it would give rail sizes, but that isn't much of an issue as my top and bottom rails are always the same regardless of the other dimensions, anything that is in question can determined by knowing what the rest of the sizes are.

The image is actually better, I had to convert it to a different format to upload it.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=110802&d=1235227460

frank shic
03-28-2010, 11:48 AM
KCDware is extremely intuitive and will make cutlists but i believe the retail price is over $6000 so i wouldn't fork out that much dough unless you're planning on running a cabinet factory lol. i use ecabinets and used it to design kitchen cabinets and built-in closets in my last home.

James Morton
03-28-2010, 2:27 PM
While I am not a pro, I am designing and building my kitchen and am using cabinet planner. cabinetplanner.com . It was about 70 bucks, but dont let the price fool you, its pretty nice. You can download a free trial from the website to get a feel for it. The free version does not have all the bells and whistles, but gives you a basic idea of what you can expect. The technical support is second to none, and the program is easy to work with. Just my .02.

Gerry Grzadzinski
03-28-2010, 2:34 PM
I stumbled upon this the other day. Might be worth a look.
http://www.cabinetcruncher.com/

Jeff Monson
03-28-2010, 2:39 PM
Try cabinetplanner.com it has 12 free uses and then its around 170.00, very nice software for the money, gives cut lists and 3d rendering.

Randy Carnley
03-28-2010, 3:03 PM
Look at CabinetPlanner and SchetchList 3D. Both are inexpensive and generally do what you want. When I was in the business before entering full-time ministry, I used KCDW and CabnetWare. They were really expensive, even then, but had a lot of features. Like everything else, you get what you pay for. As you are getting started, try a couple of the smaller packages and if your business grows, you might want to grow your software with it.

charlie kapper
03-28-2010, 3:11 PM
Is eCabinet software available to the home woodworker? I attempted to register and it appears they are looking for businesses only.

charlie kapper

ken gibbs
03-28-2010, 4:19 PM
My son is the computer manager for a cabinet company in Roanoke, VA. They do all design using a specific software program, and use computer driven CDC routers for all material cuts. You just load the card into the computer and feed materials to the beast. But before you decide to buy one of these systems, the router bits can cost over $25,000.00. So there will always be a place for prototype cabinet construction techniques which is what us Creekers do. You have to design and build out a new style or system and then automate the process.

Mike Goetzke
03-29-2010, 9:36 AM
I'm remodeling our kitchen. Another Creeker suggested Cabinet Planner and I took the plunge. Within 1-1/2 hours I created this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Projects/Kitchen/Cabinets/cp1.png

...not what we want but I played with the program to try the features. This program has been very useful. Our first plan that I made on paper and struggled with on SU didn't look good when we saw it in 3-d so the program saved me more than the purchase price. I have fooled around with the cutting lists and it's a great feature too. Only issue I have is that I didn't (don't) totally understand many terms used to set up your standards. But, if you e-mail questions to the software provider sometimes you get responses in minutes.

Mike

John A langley
03-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Kenny - Mike is right on with Cabinet Planner. I have KcDW - it is a very good design software. If you are starting out I would go with Cabinet Planner and upgrade later. I played around with Cabinet Planner and it was easy to learn and I emailed Cabinet Planner on two occasions and he got back to me right away. Good luck in your endeavor. John Langley Cabinets.

Joe Chritz
03-29-2010, 2:24 PM
I still use kitchendraw which is a free program for download.

It doesn't do cut lists but is pretty simple and generates a decent 3d image if you are trying to sell jobs.

A cheat sheets helps me with cutlists, which I feed into the program cutlist.

I know that using 3/4" material I have to subtract 1 3/4" from cabinet width to get my length of base and top panels. If I had a high volume I would seriously look at a more involved program. It takes about an hour to make a full cutlist for face frames and panels for a full kitchen.

Doors I use a different program which I just put in the door size and get out what I need.

Crude but effective.

Joe