PDA

View Full Version : Stanley no. 120 block plane question.

Walter McGuire
03-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Hello fellow Neanderthals,

I have an old no. 120 block plane lying around my shop, that until recently, saw very little use. I sharpened the iron using the scary sharp method and lubed it up, only to find that I LOVE THIS PLANE. I reach for this old thing more than i do my Lie-Nielson...blasphemy, I know. Anyway, it's missing the front knob and my fingers worn raw from it. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? It's the style that has a threaded male stub cast with the body.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Jim Koepke
03-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Walter,

Welcome to the Neander Cave.

Patrick Leach does not speak highly of the #120.

There may be a few sources for parts through people like Bob Kaune or maybe Brass City Records.

One way people find knobs for old block planes is to buy a less expensive model and take the knob from that. In this case, your plane may be the low cost model.

You could make your own if you have a way to do so.

jim

Greg Wease
03-28-2010, 2:42 PM
Most of the Stanley block planes with threaded knobs use the same threads. I bought one of those little red and blue ones for a buck at a swap meet just for the knob. I now have a bright blue knob on my 120--ugly but beats sore fingers.

James Taglienti
03-28-2010, 3:20 PM
walter I will sell you a rosewood knob for 4 bucks pm me if you want it

Rusty Eads
05-23-2010, 4:49 PM
Wonder where you got that plane from, sure sounds familiar haha

Bill Houghton
05-23-2010, 5:30 PM
I don't know what they look like - I'm waiting on one I ordered for a 220 - but they're not too expensive, under $2 (although shipping will probably be $4 or so): http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/. Follow the links to planes, block planes, made in USA, 12-220 (they don't list the 120, but I think they all used the same knob): http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/knobfor12220.html. I listed the general address in case you want to poke around to see about anything else you might want.

People sometimes say mean things about any of the planes that are not the acknowledged rock gods - but, often, these disrespected planes, if they were made on a day when all the production tolerances came out fine, will be very good tools. Celebrate that you've got one like that.