PDA

View Full Version : Naniwa Super Stones

Alex Silva
03-27-2010, 9:18 PM
After watching numerous videos on sharpening plane blades, I've decided to buy the LV MKII honing guide (I'm not sure If I'll get the cambered roll? since I'm pretty sure you don't need it in order to put a 'curved' edge on the blade).

Now I can see that Naniwa Super stones can be bought either 3/8 thick with a base or near 1'' without a base for less than twice the money.. Which one is better ? I was thinking the second option since you have more stone for you money, can use both faces and I can buy or build a temporary base for the thicker stones

thank you all !

Alex

Christian Castillo
03-27-2010, 9:47 PM
The baseless version is more economical, and in the lower grits it would be preferred as stones below 4000 grit tend to be the ones you will wear out the fastest. In the higher grits, say 8000 or more, you could probably get away with the thinner stones to save money.

Harlan Barnhart
03-27-2010, 9:50 PM
I have the 1000/5000/8000 thin set with plastic bases. If I were buying again I would get the thick stone for the 1000 since it wears much faster than the higher grit stones. I imagine the 5000 and the 8000 will be with me for many, many years but the 1000 shows signs of serious wear after a year.

Alex Silva
03-27-2010, 10:04 PM
So I'll get the thicker stones... Chefs seem to prefer also these stones from what I can see on many kitchen knives websites.

Cheers,

Alex