PDA

View Full Version : weight limit

James Rambo
03-27-2010, 7:55 PM
I did a search for laser table weight limits and came up with one for a mini 24 (I think it was) Peck answered it (50 lbs). I need to know the limit on mne a legend 32. I have a customer that brought me a piece of granite 32" by 20" ( my table size) by 1 1/4" and it weights 70 lbs. Can I do this in the machine and focus on it. I searched the paperwork that came with the machine new to me also, but I could not find a weight limit.
Thanks y'all for any info. Jaime

Joe Hayes
03-27-2010, 8:21 PM
James I did a piece of granite the same weight a few years ago on my old Legend 32. So I had the exact same question. I did some measurements so I did not have to move my bed very much. One of the Epilog Dealers told me that they used to have some advertisement with Mike Dean standing on a table, so my assumption was it can handle it.

Dave Johnson29
03-27-2010, 8:54 PM
it weights 70 lbs.

I would cut a small block of wood to the exact thickness and use that to focus. Then place the granite on the table rather than trying to move the weight up and down.

I don't know what the table is designed to carry though.

Viktor Voroncov
03-28-2010, 4:54 AM
Joe, if you will have this picture " One of the Epilog Dealers told me that they used to have some advertisement with Mike Dean standing on a table," -please send it to me :) Interesting to see :)

Joe Hayes
03-28-2010, 8:44 AM
I would cut a small block of wood to the exact thickness and use that to focus. Then place the granite on the table rather than trying to move the weight up and down.

In theory this would work, what you would find is that the weight alone will cause a change in the table as it pulls the slack out.

Joe Hayes
03-28-2010, 8:50 AM
Viktor - I never saw the photo just was told that by the dealer. You might contact Epilog and ask for it.

Sandy Henry
03-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Same question with my Legend. Tech support said to pre-focus / do not focus z axis with excessive weight on table.

Dan Hintz
03-28-2010, 12:16 PM
In theory this would work, what you would find is that the weight alone will cause a change in the table as it pulls the slack out.
If slack is much more than a couple tens of mils, there are other issues with the table... there should not be that much slack in a properly tensioned table. Gravity is already working for you...

Dave Johnson29
03-28-2010, 1:14 PM

I would be calling Epilog if there was "slack" in a lift table. Either that or get out the flashlight and wrenches. The lift table mechanism cannot afford to have slack in it other wise the 0,0 corner would wander all over the place.

Actually I am designing a new scissor lift table for my engraver. I just took a break and checked here, talk about Deja Vu. The current lift is a vertical screw and motor and it means I need 18 of clearance under the base of the machine and it will not fit into the back of my pickup with the camper shell on.

John Noell
03-28-2010, 3:12 PM
My Mini18 did not want to lift the very heavy chunk of extremely dense wood I was given so I took off the front and lifted by hand while focusing. The z-axis motor sounded happy and the focus ended up spot on.

Dave Johnson29
03-28-2010, 3:29 PM
My Mini18 did not want to lift the very heavy chunk of extremely dense wood I was given so I took off the front and lifted by hand while focusing. The z-axis motor sounded happy and the focus ended up spot on.

Not a good plan overall John. You may be over-driving or under driving. Either way the motor windings are not going to like it. The block of wood is the preferred method from a mechanical point as it is lifting within the design limits of the table.

Besides, focus is not that critical. You have about 1/4" up and a 1/4" down from the technical focus point of the lens. Well, on a 2-1/2" focus lens.

James Rambo
03-29-2010, 5:21 PM
Thanks all. I think I'll take the smart way out and pre-focus.

Peck Sidara
03-29-2010, 5:35 PM
Sorry for the late response guys. I just confirmed w/ tech support and the Legend 32 table will drive up to 60lbs and hold up to 120lbs.

As others have mentioned, it's best that you try to pre-focus when engraving such heavy objects.

James Rambo
03-29-2010, 5:47 PM
Thanks Peck. I looked at all my paper work, but could not find it. I will have to write that down and put it in the file with the laser manual. Jaime

Bill Cunningham
03-30-2010, 7:49 PM
The one thing I found that was somewhat problematic, was getting a large piece in and out (i.e. > 9 x 14 x 2-4"). I have found that a couple of suction cup handles (the things you use for lifting glass, or pulling dents) work well for getting it in, but after it's etched you can't get the suction cups to stick to the uneven surface so it's a matter of prying up one end, get your fingers under it and wrestle it out hoping it don't slip.. The TT is basically a pit you put your stuff in, there are no doors that things can be slid in and out of so you just have to be careful