PDA

View Full Version : Ouch, I'm Old

Jon Lanier
03-27-2010, 7:49 PM
Stihl Farm Boss. Used it today for the first time in close to a year to help clear the field behind the church. 20 small to medium size trees. My left forearm is about to fall off. Just ten years ago this would not have happened. I'm getting old... must face facts. :(

Ken Fitzgerald
03-27-2010, 8:09 PM
Jon,

I have some bad news for you. Enjoy it...it's not going to get any better!:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
03-27-2010, 8:33 PM
Jon - I hear ya! Now when I do something I understand that I am going to pay a price later! I guess the good thing is I have grandsons that are growing up and will be able to help out eventually!

Meanwhile, ibuprofen and a heating pad seem to help out!

Robert Snowden
03-27-2010, 8:34 PM
Jon
Be glad it is not a 570 xp husky.You will pray for this thing to run out of gas.

Terry Hatfield
03-27-2010, 8:55 PM
Stihl Farm Boss. Used it today for the first time in close to a year to help clear the field behind the church. 20 small to medium size trees. My left forearm is about to fall off. Just ten years ago this would not have happened. I'm getting old... must face facts. :(

Do you have to......get to...preach tomorrow? Hope you don't need to use your hands to speak. :D

I just checked out your web site. AWESOME!!!

t

Matt Ranum
03-27-2010, 9:00 PM
I feel your pain, really I do. I have tendinitis in all the joints in my arms and chainsaws, especially bigger ones tear me somthin awful. Thats why I bought a lighter,smaller cu.in. saw. Takes me a few seconds more but at least I can work.

Jim Rimmer
03-27-2010, 9:07 PM
+1 on Ken's comments. I often surprise myself when I look in the mirror and see how old I am because in my mind I'm not that old. It takes me a little longer to do things and I have to know my limitations. I use mechanical advantage now instead of brute strength.

Robert McGowen
03-27-2010, 11:04 PM
I do not think of myself as old, but my oldest son, the jokester, keeps wanting to put a blanket in my lap and asks if I need anything.......... and I am 50! :cool:

Joe Pelonio
03-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Funny, I had a similar experience this morning when I bought a 6-pack at the grocery store. Went to the self check and it beeped "clerk approval required"
on the screen, but the woman on duty didn't check my ID, just cleared it.

Baxter Smith
03-27-2010, 11:22 PM
I can relate to that! When I had to get a new chain saw a couple years ago I ruled out the Stihl farm boss. Great saw but I feel creaky enough after using a noticeably lighter saw!

David G Baker
03-27-2010, 11:56 PM
I just turned 66. Last year I purchased a Farm Boss to replace my McCulloch that started giving me problems. I could work for hours using the McCulloch with out a lot of problems. I fired up the Farm Boss the day I bought it and it wore me out in a few minutes. I should have bought the lighter model. I haven't done much over the Winter so I am sadly out of shape and a year older than when I tried the Boss last. I am going to have to fire it up again in a few weeks and am not looking forward to it. I might have to trade it in on the next size down.

Jon Lanier
03-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Do you have to......get to...preach tomorrow? Hope you don't need to use your hands to speak. :D

I just checked out your web site. AWESOME!!!

t

Thank your concerning my website. and YES I'm preaching tomorrow. "Caiaphas... Cry For Us" is the Title. It might be... Jon is just Crying ..LOL

George Sanders
03-28-2010, 7:19 AM
I no longer look over my shoulder to see who the store clerk is addressing as sir. I have to take it easy or I won't be doing anything the next day. I am going to try to mill my ash tree with a stihl farm boss with a new bar and rip chain. I want most of it quartersawn. This isn't something I'm looking forward to but it's the only way I can get the wood for a proper workbench.

Several years ago when my beard first started to turn gray my daughter walked up to me pointing at my face and started counting. I said "I know, I have some gray hairs on my face." She said "No dad, I'm counting the brown ones!" :eek: IMP!

Jim Becker
03-28-2010, 9:53 AM
It's just "different muscles" than you're used to using, Jon. That said, I know the feeling well...between my very intense riding lessons and moving sheet goods round for the tack trunk commissions I've been getting, I've found a few new muscles myself. LOL

Ernie Nyvall
03-28-2010, 1:53 PM
It's just "different muscles"

Yeah, but all of them? I haven't done much around here for a couple of years due to a bad knee. Got it replaced in December, and have been feeling my oats again the last few weeks. Cleaned and reorganized the shop...took a week and a half. Still feeling good. Mowed and weed whacked... not bad. Cut low limbs from trees... a little sore. Then came 200 feet of ligustrums which had grown 10' tall. Had to use the Farm Boss to cut them about arm pit high.

I'll just say... It hurts my toes when I chew my food.

Bob Borzelleri
03-28-2010, 2:16 PM
Pilates and Gyrotonics. Snicker if you must, but I am 65 and feel as good as I did when I was 64:) (which was as good as I felt when I was 40).

Eddie Watkins
03-28-2010, 2:18 PM
+1 on Ken's comments. I often surprise myself when I look in the mirror and see how old I am because in my mind I'm not that old. It takes me a little longer to do things and I have to know my limitations. I use mechanical advantage now instead of brute strength.
It's not the mirror for me. I guess I am not looking that close but there are times I don't recognize myself in pictures.:D