PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Burl Hollowform

Curt Fuller
03-27-2010, 7:42 PM
This is some local Box Elder burl, about 6" tall x 5" wide with some of the natural edge burl spikes around the opening. I started with a smaller opening but kept chipping away at it while hollowing. Danish Oil and Beall buffed.

John Tomasello jr
03-27-2010, 7:56 PM
Great job Curt, awesome looking piece. Really like the spike edge

John Keeton
03-27-2010, 8:03 PM
Excellent, Curt!! Thought you didn't like hollowing!?!? That wood is fantastic, very pleasing form, and the NE treatment on the entry really adds a lot to this piece.

Robert McGowen
03-27-2010, 8:12 PM
Thought you didn't like hollowing!?!?

He doesn't actually say how hollow it is or how thick the walls are. Could that be black paint on the top there? :eek:

Actually Curt, that is a very nice shape that your piece has. I really like the natural edge also.

David E Keller
03-27-2010, 8:17 PM
Beautiful piece... I love the natural edge at the opening.

Ron Erickson
03-27-2010, 8:17 PM
I like every thing about it.

Mark Hazelden
03-27-2010, 8:22 PM
Very nice!

My first thoughts when seeing the natural edge opening was the vessel was splashing away from the opening. Nice effect.

Steve Schlumpf
03-27-2010, 8:36 PM
Curt - excellent in every way! Love the wood, the natural edge opening and the finish! You should enter this in a contest - it is a winner!

Seriously - very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-27-2010, 8:40 PM
Great find on the Burl
Form & finish look GREAT
Keep them coming.

Richard Madison
03-27-2010, 9:11 PM
That's a beauty Curt. A truly outstanding piece.

Dick Mahany
03-27-2010, 9:43 PM
Wow, that is a beautiful piece. I'd love to see what it started from as the burl is incredible.

Bernie Weishapl
03-27-2010, 9:45 PM
Beauty Curt. Really nice form and love the neck. Finish looks great.

charlie knighton
03-27-2010, 9:46 PM
very nice, great touch to keep the ne opening

Baxter Smith
03-27-2010, 9:50 PM
That is a great turning from a great piece of wood! Art show worthy!

Bill Bolen
03-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Outstanding piece Curt. That NE mouth sure sets it off. Gorgeous wood too and you did her justice...Bill...

Roland Martin
03-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Wow Curt, this is a really nice piece. There's nothing wrong with this in any aspect.

Jim Slovik
03-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Curt,
Outstanding. I think it would have been a beautiful piece without the natural edge on top but with it........awesome!!
Nice job.
Jim

alex carey
03-28-2010, 2:43 AM
small openings are over rated imo, the size of the hole should be dependent on the piece and I think this size and the NE works perfectly, nice job.

Norm Zax
03-28-2010, 2:44 AM
Lovely work and wood!

Jon McElwain
03-28-2010, 3:49 AM
Striking form! I've not seen a NE hollow form quite like this before. Most people seem to prefer to overstate the NE with a larger bowl or something. Nice to see the approach of minimizing it with the small opening HF. Draws your eye to the rim, but the form is proportioned such that nothing is overstated. Perfect height of the standing edge, pleasing form, dramatic grain, perfect finish. A+!!

I will ask the wall thickness question someone posted above again...

Brian Effinger
03-28-2010, 9:11 AM
Wow! That is simply awesome! :)

Curt Fuller
03-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments.

He doesn't actually say how hollow it is or how thick the walls are. Could that be black paint on the top there? :eek:

Robert, don't be giving away all my secrets!

I'm not a fanatic on thin walls. In fact I don't really even measure them usually except by the finger method. But on this piece I tried out a new tool I made, a "long and strong" 3/4" round shafted homemade straight multi tip tool. It essentially is just a handled bar that holds the same cutters and scrapers that my Sorby hollowbastard uses. It worked so well that I had to stop and measure to make sure I wasn't going into negative thickness territory. But still, it's about 1/4" near the top and under the shoulders and then thickens to about 3/8"+ near the bottom.

Thought you didn't like hollowing!?!?
John, to me, hollowing is the most mundane and boring (pun intended) thing about turning. I'd even rather sand. But I like hollow forms so what do ya do?

Jon Finch
03-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Very nice!
This will go into my file of "things I'd like to copy"... hope you don't mind.

Gary Conklin
03-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Great work on an outstanding piece of wood, love that natural spike opening.

James Roberts
03-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Curt, what a beautiful piece! The spikey, natural edge really adds a flair to that beautiful wood. Wonderful form and finish, worthy of a gallery showing.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-28-2010, 11:06 PM
This is some local Box Elder burl, about 6" tall x 5" wide with some of the natural edge burl spikes around the opening. I started with a smaller opening but kept chipping away at it while hollowing. Danish Oil and Beall buffed.

That is some pretty wood and a great looking HF Curt, nice :D

BILL DONAHUE
03-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Terrific! The opening is very unique and really sets it off.

Gary Chester
03-29-2010, 12:00 AM
Wow... that natural edge is... well... explosive...

Not sure what else to say... explosive...

Mark Burge
03-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Really great form, Curt. I have been contemplating some NE forms and was wondering what you did about the bark on the burl. Did you take it off before turning or was the opening sanded to get the nice shape without the bark?

Curt Fuller
03-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Really great form, Curt. I have been contemplating some NE forms and was wondering what you did about the bark on the burl. Did you take it off before turning or was the opening sanded to get the nice shape without the bark?

This is some pretty old burl and the bark fell off, But I have taken the bark off with a pressure washer before turning and I've picked it off with a dental pic after. Picking it off is a PITA!