PDA

View Full Version : BLO or Tung Oil

Donny Lawson
03-27-2010, 5:08 PM
Which one would be better for food bowls, BLO or Tung Oil?,or would they both be about the same?
Donny

Bernie Weishapl
03-27-2010, 7:08 PM
Myself Donny I wouldn't use either. But that is just me. I use Antique Oil or Mahoney's walnut oil. Don't like Mineral oil as it doesn't seem to dry. Salad Bowl finish seems to start getting gummy after a 2 or 3 yrs has been my experience. Not saying you can't use BLO or Tung Oil but I tried about 3 yrs ago using both and didn't have really any good luck. It just never seemed to dry for me. You will probably get more response.

John Keeton
03-27-2010, 7:54 PM
Donny, I use BLO only to bring out the color and grain in wood, followed always by shellac to seal it and provide a base for any other finish. So, the BLO is not a finish for me, though with enough coats it could work - but only barely. It would have to be renewed periodically.

Leo uses polymerized tung oil, which is a different creature entirely, and it has polymers added so that it will cure quicker, and actually build a finish. I think Leo gets his a LV.

As for color, tung oil is considerably lighter than BLO, and that will make a difference on lighter colored woods. BLO will usually look much more amber on maple than will tung oil.

Chris Hayes
03-28-2010, 10:25 AM
I've used both and my preference is Tung oil. It goes on a bit thicker but I tend to think it brings out more of the hidden characteristics of the wood. I've also found that once it polymerizes the wood tends to shift less.. Like John and Leo, after it's cured I tend to coat with at least 1 coat of shellac then I decide if I go to lacquer or poly...after everything is given a decent level of curing time, it's all fairly safe to eat from. (but still not machine washable as one of my neighbors found out)

Allen Neighbors
03-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Like Mahoney says, "You just can't sell an unfinished bowl." But all of his bowls that he makes for his own use, are unfinished... those he sells are finished with his Walnut Oil.
I still prefer Danish Oil on utility bowls to sell. After two or three baths of it, soaking into the wood, and curing, it buffs out to a beautiful finish. Because of the polymerization, both, it and Tung Oil are good basic finishes for utility bowls. It all boils down to what you prefer.
I don't remember trying testing the Tung/DO finishes on lighter woods, as John suggests, but I'll bet he's right on, because the DO does tend to be amber.