PDA

View Full Version : Tool Covers (Tool Companies please read)

james bell
03-27-2010, 4:19 PM
I prefer to purchase small power tools with cases and whenever I purchase a large tool I also buy a cover. Like most hobbyists, my shop is not humidity controlled, nor heated/cooled, so my tools need protection.

I typically buy HTC covers, but for my drill press I got an outdoor single golf bag cover and my Minimax 16 required the outdoor double golf bag cover. The rectangular ones just did not fit correctly.

QUESTION: Most vendors know that the best time to sell accessories is when the customer is making an initial purchase. Why then don't they offer custom covers for the machines they sell? I know Grizzly reads some of the postings and it seems Taiwan can easily make covers for your machines. Should be an easy way to increase sales/profits while providing satisfaction to your customers.

Myk Rian
03-27-2010, 4:31 PM
That would be nice if they were offered. Like BBQ covers.
Too bad HTC moved production from Royal Oak, Mi. to China.
I bought a few when they had a closeout sale.

Philip Johnson
03-27-2010, 5:03 PM
Does covering them actually help? I feel it may trap moisture and even if I don't use a tool I can walk around the shop and check to make sure no rust is forming. I just put a heavy coat of wax on in the fall and keep an eye on em.

Phil

Terry Sparks
03-27-2010, 6:06 PM
That would be nice if they were offered. Like BBQ covers.
Too bad HTC moved production from Royal Oak, Mi. to China.
I bought a few when they had a closeout sale.

I have my Planer, Jointer, Drill Press and CMS draped by a recycled free tent from Craigslist. Being the tent was made from a dark green rip stop nylon, the covers actually look pretty decent.

Neil Brooks
03-27-2010, 6:11 PM
Does covering them actually help? I feel it may trap moisture

That's long been the "conventional wisdom" with motorcycles, unless you use a cover that's specifically meant to "breathe."

I would imagine that ... if the bottom is fairly open, allowing for sufficient air movement ... then you could keep the grime off the machine, while keeping the condensation issue to a minimum.

No real data, though. Just a gut feeling.

Myk Rian
03-27-2010, 6:47 PM
The HTC covers are breathable. I always have one on the TS. The 8" jointer is too long for the size I have, so I have a piece of heavy canvas tarp on it.
Should have ordered a jumbo cover when they had the clearance.

Bruce Page
03-27-2010, 6:53 PM
I wonder how many people actually use covers? I never have.

Kevin Groenke
03-27-2010, 6:57 PM
It's easy to make custom covers with some Tyvek and a sewing machine (some duct tape if you're too MANLY to use a sewing machine): makes a great, cheap, breathable cover.

-kg

Stephen Edwards
03-27-2010, 8:05 PM

I've never used a cover for any of my machines.

Bill Huber
03-27-2010, 8:17 PM
I am sure that there are more people that don't use covers then use them. I am in the don't use them group.

My shop is so small that I have a hard time finding a place to lay my tape let alone a cover. I just keep everything waxed really good and I can check it each time I walk into the shop.

I guess the way I look at it if the cover will breath then as the humidity goes up so will the humidity under the cover. So the only thing I see that they do is keep the dust off.

Neil Brooks
03-27-2010, 8:17 PM

I have a cover for each of my stationary machines.

It's made entirely out of dirt, dust, and grease.

I use it religiously.

;)

Kent E. Matthew
03-27-2010, 8:20 PM
I use old bed comforters. Works well for me.

Terry Hatfield
03-27-2010, 8:26 PM
Tools have covers?

Jim Rimmer
03-27-2010, 9:14 PM
I have a cover for each of my stationary machines.

It's made entirely out of dirt, dust, and grease.

I use it religiously.

;)
LOL - the same covers I have. :p

Craig McCormick
03-27-2010, 9:51 PM
I throw away the plastic cases and would never think of covering my tools. Different strokes.....

AZCRAIG

David Prince
03-27-2010, 10:02 PM
I don't use covers, but they might have a place if I were staining up woodwork and laying it on or above tools to dry. I have used blue tarp in a pinch.

I would be interested to find out how many use covers.:confused:

Dave Lehnert
03-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Shopsmith offers covers for all their tools. I always purchased one with each tool I purchased. Also have a cover for my cabinet saw. I DO NOT USE THEM. Just one more thing to deal with when trying to finish a project in the shop.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/images/DustCvrs.jpg

Dave Lehnert
03-27-2010, 10:22 PM
It's easy to make custom covers with some Tyvek and a sewing machine (some duct tape if you're too MANLY to use a sewing machine): makes a great, cheap, breathable cover.

-kg

How is Tyvek sold (Sq Ft., Roll etc...) And how much does it cost?
Is this something sold at Lowe's or Home Depot?

glenn bradley
03-27-2010, 11:39 PM
I have covers made from painters crop cloths and use them if I am going to be idle in the shop for a few days but, probably just out of habit anymore rather than need. Before I had some decent DC I would get shadows or actual rust where the dust had settled and gathered moisture overnight. I figured out where the shadows were coming from by drawing a happy face in the dust that had settled one evening. . . took some caustic Rust Free to get that out after a couple of days . . . Doh!

The covers took care of this problem. Now-a-days I don't really get residual dust unless I am hand routing MDF or something like that. The covers still come in handy for known messy activities and for protection if I am going to be stacking stuff on CI surfaces whilst moving things around in the shop (this almost never happens). For the most part, the covers are no longer required; just handy to have. The need for covers is partly environment and partly the makeup of the owner.

Paul Atkins
03-28-2010, 2:21 AM
My theory is ' out of sight-out of mind".

Terry Welty
03-28-2010, 8:11 AM
I had a friend that runs a sewing/alterations show sew up some custom covers for my most of my tools, my shop is also a garage, cat house, (no, not that kind), dog house... etc. She made them out of a soft canvas material... they are awesome, tools keep dust free, dry and without cat paw prints... I forgot to put the cover on my band saw a while back, after a few days the table had started to rust... doesn't happen with the cover on.

Brice Burrell
03-28-2010, 8:35 AM
How is Tyvek sold (Sq Ft., Roll etc...) And how much does it cost?
Is this something sold at Lowe's or Home Depot?

Tyvek is usually sold on a roll, and it comes in a number of different sizes from 24"-60" wide and 75" long (and bigger). It's not inexpensive, $100-$200 a roll so it's not a good choice for most. There is a lot of other "off" brands if you will, that I suppose you can get at the home improvement stores for less.

I'm a general contractor so I use this stuff fairly often and I always have a few remnants around. I've made a bad weather cover for my miter and jobsite table saws with tyvek. I didn't bother with sewing, I just used a stapler and some Tyvek tape.

Tom Welch
03-28-2010, 8:42 AM
I am in the camp, that doesn't use any covers. I have a roof over the machine that is cover enough. For crying out loud it is a tool not a corvette. :rolleyes: I live in Fla. lots of hummity, just keep the surface waxed. I also throw away those plastic cases that come with every hand/power tool. They waste too much space. (excetp for my festool Domino of course :D )
And of course I have never seen Norm use any covers, so that must settle it. Just my 2 cents.

Benny Harris
03-28-2010, 2:40 PM
This is the big question I have: What material would "breathe?" Does Tyvek breathe?

I need a cover for my bandsaw because of "Cat butt rust" -- I have four cats that like to park themselves on the band saw table. A cover would work fine for eliminating that source of rust.

I guess the way I look at it if the cover will breath then as the humidity goes up so will the humidity under the cover. So the only thing I see that they do is keep the dust off.[/QUOTE]

Chip Lindley
03-28-2010, 3:20 PM
Tom expressed my sentiments, exactly! 99% of my machinery is used. It never had a cover. I DO cover machinery with a tarp if it must spend time outside, but no covers for me! Not in the shop!

Austin Grote
03-28-2010, 5:28 PM
I have some old ratty furniture pads that I use to cover the cast iron surfaces. The surfaces are waxed, but sometimes my machines don`t get used for weeks or even months at a time during the colder months. Plastic cases that came with the small power tools go out in the shed. I keep them in case I have to do some work away from home.

Brice Burrell
03-29-2010, 4:21 PM
This is the big question I have: What material would "breathe?" Does Tyvek breathe?.....

In theory, yes.

Rod Sheridan
03-30-2010, 8:43 AM
I have a cloth cover that Diann made for my jointer out of some fabric scrap.

It keeps the kitty paw prints off the jointer. The cats don't get on the other machines, however they feel that the jointer is the purrrfect place to be when supervising my workshop activities.

I also leave the jointer unplugged for the above reason.

Regards, Rod.

Ramsey Ramco
03-30-2010, 9:15 AM
Tools have covers?
Thats exactly what I thought!:confused:

Russell Smallwood
03-30-2010, 9:28 AM
...I also leave the jointer unplugged for the above reason.

:eek:

This made me chuckle.

james bell
03-30-2010, 9:59 AM
thanks for all the comments - guess i'm in the minority when it comes to covering tools!

Rod Sheridan
03-30-2010, 11:34 AM
James, I think many people probably never thought about covering their machinery.

As I indicated I have a cover for my jointer because of my cats, I also have fabric pads on top of the shop base cabinets, so they don't get scratched, as well as keeping round objects from rolling off onto the floor.

The other machinery in my shop isn't covered, although it's not a bad idea to protect them from glue, stain etc.

My jointer cover is a flat piece of fabric with a 4" skirt, to keep it on the jointer. It doesn't cover the jointer base, just the infeed/outfeed table.

Regards, Rod.

Kent A Bathurst
03-30-2010, 1:14 PM
........ The cats don't get on the other machines, however they feel that the jointer is the purrrfect place to be when supervising my workshop activities........

They say there are many ways to skin a cat - in all honesty, I never thought about using powered machines to do it :D

Just kidding - I'm a cat lover. Neighbors have 3, and 2 of them like nothing more, as they are roaming Middle Earth protecting us, than to wander into my open shop door and take a quick look around for Orcs.

On tool covers - I doubt the day will come when I decide I need more stuff that doesn't make sawdust laying around in my way in the shop - opening + closing the blast gates is enough work for me to do when I want to fire up a machine. Personal preference, of course.

I do cover the whatever machine with cardboard sheets (7-yr-old broken-flat moving boxes with a wide pallette of dye, filler, and stain colors on one side) when i need one for a finishing table. ALso - some small masonite pieces on the jointer table ends only because it is too convenient a "temporary storage flat surface". Boeshield, wax, etc. on stuff and it's fine. ATL July-August is in the "humid" category for sure - not New Orleans level, but still........

johnny means
03-30-2010, 5:14 PM
I try not to coddle my machines. It'll turn them imto sissies:D

Bob Hathaway
04-07-2010, 12:18 AM
I live near the coast in the Pacific Northwest and humidity is a problem year round. I have coated the surface of my table saw, lathe beds, etc. with a light coating of spar varnish. Upon drying I lightly sand with 220 grit. This seals the pores of the metal and has elimated any rust problems. I use spray cans of Minwax Helmsman spar varnish, but I think any brand would work well.

Frank Martin
04-07-2010, 1:45 AM
I live in SoCol less than a mile from to ocean, and just keep iron surfaces waxed, never even thought about covers. I am also in the camp that throws out plastic tool cases. Only exception is Festool. Once I make enough cabinets, I will probably sell those cases too. I was suprised the first time I saw how much the empty Festool cases cost. Wish they sold the tools without the case...

Davee Baker
01-09-2021, 5:53 PM
Had a Jet JJ-6CS jointer that sat in the garage unused for couple years. Upstate NY. Insulated garage but not heated. With all the temperature and humidity swings it rusted up pretty bad. I'm refurbing it now. At the same time another identical jointer sat in my basement (which is partially heated in winter and dehumidified in summer) for years and rusted even worse! I'm refurbing that now also. Thinking about a cover. I draped an old cloth sleeping bag over the one in the garage. Check back with me in 2 years and I will tell you what the results of the experiment are. From reading this post it sounds as if nobody really knows anything definitive about this.

I put an old mattress pad (like a quilted blanket) on my riding lawnmower in winter, and my snowblower in summer ... at minimum it keeps them clean , which they would not be at all if left uncovered and I think keeps condensation off them.

Thomas McCurnin
01-09-2021, 5:55 PM
My point would be why not? Highly profitable to make custom over-priced covers. I'd buy them.

Frederick Skelly
01-09-2021, 6:26 PM
I noticed this thread is 10 yrs old but the topic still seems germane.

Please help me understand? I cant quite see how covers - breathable or not - prevent tools from rusting. It seems like moist air will get under the cover regardless, and so condenation will occur. Is the thinking that the condensation clings to the top layer - the cover - and doesnt make contact with the surface?

(As far as materials go, I dont think Tyvec is breathable, is it? I'd be inclined to try a cotton sheet or maybe moving blankets.)

I dunno.

Roger Feeley
01-09-2021, 9:15 PM

-kg
you can get a manly sewing machine. My Sailrite can sew through just about anything. You never know when you are going to have to sew a couple of shingles together...

Alan Lightstone
01-10-2021, 9:09 AM
Never thought of covering my machines. Although, here in Florida, good rust protection must be on the surfaces at all times, even though my shop is very well climate controlled.

Regarding cats, do you love them? Because if you do, I have a few really good recipes. Most people screw up the braising part. Slow cooking is best.... :D

Douglas Mosman
01-10-2021, 2:10 PM
I live in Minnesota with an attached unheated garage so winter temperature variation can be significant. I had a rarely used 30 yr old Craftsman table saw in the garage and I found that simply laying some of that felt-backed outdoor tablecloth fabric across the top eliminated most all rust issues.

Mike Rambour
01-15-2021, 5:24 PM
I NEVER used to cover my tools, they were used too often and didn't seem to rust. I replaced my 40 year old Unisaw with a SawStop and started seeing rust from one day to the other, that saw is awesome but I think the cast iron is garbage compared to 40 year old Unisaw cast iron, it rusts quite easily. I got a Zerust cover for it and its pretty quick on/off and has stopped the rust. I can keep my saw covered since I don't use it that much lately, in the middle of a car restoration project, I might only use the saw once a week right now and the cover protected it from overspray when I painted the car (a unplanned plus).

Mark Woodmark
01-15-2021, 8:54 PM
[QUOTE=Benny Harris;1385585]This is the big question I have: What material would "breathe?" Does Tyvek breathe?

Cheesecloth

Mark Woodmark
01-15-2021, 9:00 PM
I try not to coddle my machines. It'll turn them imto sissies:D

I pat baby powder on my tools to help keep them in new condition. They are just for looks afterall