PDA

View Full Version : Do I need two shapers?

Dave Cav
03-27-2010, 2:08 PM
I have an opportunity to get a second Delta HD shaper for a reasonable price. I have a power feeder mounted on my existing shaper, and I can think of all kinds of good reasons (ot rationalizations) to have a second machine. I know that lots of medium and large shops with multiple employees have multiple shaper setups, but does it make sense for a one man, non-production shop?

Van Huskey
03-27-2010, 2:20 PM
Buy it use it and if it doesn't fit with the way you work and become an asset then sell it for proabably what you have in it if it is a good deal. Rule number 1, never talk a man out of a tool unless it is to buy a better tool or two tools!

Travis Porter
03-27-2010, 2:22 PM
It makes sense to me, but the caveat is do you have the space for it.

Dave Cav
03-27-2010, 2:26 PM
It makes sense to me, but the caveat is do you have the space for it.

Well, i could find the space for it, I suppose. I seem to have found space for all the other crap...er..vintage arn...that I am using (and some I'm not using).

David DeCristoforo
03-27-2010, 2:43 PM
"Do I need two shapers?"

Of course you need two. Or even three or four. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Van Huskey
03-27-2010, 2:56 PM
"Do I need two shapers?"

Of course you need two. Or even three or four. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

You have seen the shapers with three in one triangular table, I think he needs to make an octaganal table with eight!

Philip Johnson
03-27-2010, 5:08 PM
Your in the wrong place if your looking for someone to talk you out of buying a tool. You could probably put em back to back and use the power feed on both.

Jay Brewer
03-27-2010, 6:43 PM
Watch out Dave, this is a slippery slope. I had 5 shapers, came to my sences and sold the most expensive one.

Two shapers would come in handy more than you think. I had 2 of them clamped together were the back of the shapers formed an " L ", this way you could swing the feeder to either one.

You could set one up for your most used profile, this saves a ton of setup time, use the other for everything else. Or if you got one set up for something, you dont have to tear down that setup to run something different.

I guess what Im saying is, 2 shapers are better than 1, good luck.

Scott Vigder
03-27-2010, 7:00 PM
Do I need two of ______________?

Of course you do. Any questions?

Vince Shriver
03-27-2010, 7:04 PM
Absolutely, they're essential; I'm surprised you even ask!

Peter Quinn
03-27-2010, 7:14 PM
I have three in my little one man non production basement shop. One is a little 1 1/2HP iron C-man, strange little tool but great for coping cabinet doors. So I set t and forget it. The second is a delta HD, great for lots of stuff, wouldn't mind having two of those. The third is a 5HP minimax, great for anything. Its like the three bears, there is always one that is just right.

It is so nice being able to leave a shaper set up, or even two set up, and still have a third to do moldings or the odd rabbit, or raise panels. I think two are a fine idea. Three is nice, four is ideal, five is some comfortable overhead, six gives you a lot of flexibility, seven may be approaching excessive....Well you get the idea.

Karl Brogger
03-27-2010, 7:26 PM
...... seven may be approaching excessive.....

You're cracked! :D My goal is to have a shaper for every single door profile, panel profile, and edge detail. That also includes a left and right coper. Plus an extra for setting up to do odd stuff when required.

I used to work for a place that had probably a dozen shapers, (at least, it may have been more). Some were getting phased out, for raised panels they started using a moulder that would cut the scoop and then sand it in once pass, and the stick profiles were always ran on a five head moulder. Being able to walk up to a machine and use it with out ever having to change a head, or even adjust it was sweet. Today I had to make two raised panel doors that had been made the wrong size. With only two shapers, one of which is always set up to cope, its a royal pain doing a short run. Pull out whatever is in the shaper, run the sticking, swap the head, run the panels, swap the head, do the edge detail once the doors are assembled and sanded. ugh!

William Duffer
03-27-2010, 7:26 PM
They say there is no dumb questions. They were wrong, you just asked it.

Dave Cav
03-27-2010, 9:59 PM
What a bunch of enablers. OK, I got it. It's a 1944 Delta HD with an original 1 HP R/I motor, both dust doors, two extensions, 1/2 and 3/4" spindles, router adapter and collets. In good overall shape but it needs at least a good cleaning and probably a restoration, and it will need new cartridge and motor bearings. Not a steal at $500, but not a bad price, either. It'll look nice sitting next to the '46 Unisaw.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/sunshinenight/Shaper/resized_DSCF0997.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/sunshinenight/Shaper/resized_DSCF0995.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/sunshinenight/Shaper/resized_DSCF1007.jpg

Frank Drew
03-28-2010, 12:07 AM
It's like wine; some people like to buy cases of the same wine, I like to buy lots of different wines.

So, if I already had a shaper (and worked alone), I might ask what other tool I didn't have and could use -- slot mortiser, band saw, lathe, upgrade to my table saw, larger jointer...... All of which I got at one point or another and stayed with one shaper.

I did know a guy with a (literal) pile of routers, though, of all sizes and makes, that he'd buy new, used, whatever; he'd leave each one set up with one bit for one particular cut, and when he needed that cut he'd fish through his router pile to find the one he needed, all set up and ready to go.

Chip Lindley
03-28-2010, 12:29 AM
WTG! Dave! You will find lots of uses for the 2nd shaper! No worries!

Don't think you cannot rebuild the existing cartridge with new bearings in the HD shaper! You can pre-load new bearings yourself. It's not rocket science; just a very fine adjustment of the assembly nut between thumb and fore finger to find minimum amount of play without binding. That is, if your spindle nose is otherwise undamaged and accurate.

Look up member "Richard" over at OWWM who rebuilds Delta HD cartridges and spindles. He can do the whole job or sell a kit (I believe) with bearings and spacers, for a DIY effort.

Dave Cav
03-28-2010, 12:38 AM
I believe there is a member over at OWWM that sells kits for rebuilding Delta HD cartridges. He advertises the kits on eBay from time to time.

Yes, Richard on OWWM sells the kits and also does the complete rebuild for just a little more. He rebuilt the cartridge in my other shaper and did a fantastic job. I'm already planning to send the "new" old cartridge to him, too.

Paul Atkins
03-28-2010, 2:16 AM
Don't even need one. Well that comes from a guy with 9 lathes - I think.

Darnell Hagen
03-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Set one up to run in reverse, that way when you're pattern routing you can always cut with the grain.

J.R. Rutter
03-28-2010, 2:39 PM
2 shapers is perfect for a small shop. Get creative with stacking cutters and fence registration and you will save a lot of time. I had a pair of shapers in my 2 car garage shop with one as dedicated cope and stick, and the other for panels and door edges.

I was up to 7 shapers in my commercial shop at one point and realized that the floor space was costing me too much. I now have 2 high end shapers that are very fast to set up, very smooth, very accurate, and a joy to use. Even they can not do a switch from cope to stick very easily though, so the basic uses are the same as my original pair.

Tom Welch
03-28-2010, 5:01 PM
Be careful Dave, before long you will have all kinds of "strays" showing up in your shop/garage. I think it kinda gets addicting buying more machines, especially when you see a deal. If it was not for the size limits on our shops, no telling how many machines we would own. By the way, I now have 2 shapers and a third just might be in the works when I get back home after this business trip. Now where am I going to put it...........:confused: