PDA

View Full Version : Laser cut acrylic jewelry

Cynthia Block
03-27-2010, 1:54 PM
I know I read somewhere here, but cannot find it now. I want to make some of the acrylic jewelry that is laser cut. Does anyone know how to bake it after it is cut? Any other advise on cut acrylic jewelry would be much appreciated. In fact, any advice and hints would be appreciated! I am still in the "learning curve" after mostly doing sublimation items. Thanks!! :D

Lee DeRaud
03-27-2010, 4:07 PM
Check on etsy.com: using "laser cut acrylic jewelry" in the search box coughs up about 1000 hits. Most of that stuff is "cut and hang", no baking or bending required.

I think the thread you're remembering was about rings, so adding that to your search string on this forum may help. (There was another thread here where somebody posted a link to some stuff on an Etsy shop, but looking for it won't be that easy: I don't thing the search engine looks at links.)

Viktor Voroncov
03-27-2010, 4:20 PM
Just do not forget that you need CAST acrylic, not extruded.

In our region "jewellry" from plywood is very popular
www.lasegra.lt - pictures on bottom.
http://www.graviravimas.eu/ - scroll first page from top to bottom

Scott Challoner
03-27-2010, 4:34 PM
There was a lot of good info in this post too.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95966

Cynthia Block
03-27-2010, 5:01 PM
Thanks everyone. The thread I was referring to was about how to make bracelets. She cut them and baked them. I cannot remember how she did this. Also, guess I need to re-read some stuff, cuz I don't know the difference between acrylic and extruded...Like I said, I am still learning!!! :o

Cynthia Block
03-27-2010, 5:05 PM
Scott, I just look at your link and that is what I was reading...thanks!!

Dan Hintz
03-27-2010, 5:14 PM
I believe Dee was the one... I remember a really slick looking bracelet made to look like a piece of movie film strip.

Lee DeRaud
03-27-2010, 5:19 PM
Just do not forget that you need CAST acrylic, not extruded.Ok, I'll bite: why?

I know cast engraves better, but most of this stuff is just vector-cut and then (in some cases) heated and bent. AFAIK, extruded works fine for that.

Dave Johnson29
03-27-2010, 6:01 PM
how to bake it after it is cut?

There are several easy ways to bend it. If you live at around sea level, boiling water may be hot enough. If not then try antifreeze. The concentrated stuff and not the pre-mix. The boiling point of Ethylene Glycol from memory is about 375-F. Use a candy thermometer to hold it around 250-F. You can re-use the anti-freeze but be warned, if ingested, it can be poisonous to humans and animals. Pans will wash OK in the dishwasher.

Alternatively put it in the oven at about 250-F but watch it closely as there is a fine line between bending and melting. Essentially you are almost melting it to bend it.

Rodne Gold
03-27-2010, 9:54 PM
Extruded will be more prone to stress crack , a problrm with fine filligree type pieces , however it also depends on what type of material you want to use and whether its actually available in cast or extruded.
I dont see why you would want to bake anything unless you want to extensively form it or you actually want to fabricate perspex items like beads and then you need both heat and pressure - something you cant really DIY.

if you want to bend it , get a line bender or a bending heat strip. To form or drape form it , use temps of 170c for extruded and 180c for cast - use a convection oven for this.
Dave , pex wont actually melt at the temps above, it becomes almost rubberised , if you have got to a point where the pex bubbles etc , its gonners and the heat is way to high. You wont be able to get to 170 degrees c with water or antifreeze , and antifreeze is something I wouldnt mess with.

Viktor Voroncov
03-28-2010, 4:52 AM
We sell heat benders from kidder.ca - really good quality and affordable.

Concerning cast/extruded - Lee- you are right, engraving on extruded looks better, but during cutting extruded acrylic very often small cracks happened.

Rudy Ress
03-28-2010, 10:57 AM
You may be thinking about the work by Jackie McGowan. See this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95966

Dan Hintz
03-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Ah, Jackie... that was it... I knew my mind was going, I just didn't realize it had already packed its bags.