PDA

View Full Version : Glue gun - how hot?

Norm Zax
03-27-2010, 8:16 AM
My glue gun, an un-mentionable 40W one, worked fine, until I tried a friend's. Faster and smoother! A quick check showed his was 60W. Running off to buy a similar one, I stopped for a quick peak on the net, and found I can also get 65W or even 100W. Wow, I thought, 100 may burn the glue, but then I saw packers use 400W or 600W!! Before completing a bachelor's degree in glue guns, perhaps you can assist:
To use in WT, with just the simple clear type, how much power is recommended? What happens if I go over that number (just spillage?) and what are the advantages of getting a brand name (such as 3M) - just a ready green light and two temps? Worth it?
Thanks!
Norm

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-27-2010, 9:40 AM
Norm, 60W should be plenty and make sure it has an auto-shut-off. More wattage might result in faster heat-up. I'm not sure what model that I have (I've had it a long time), it's one notch up from the typical hardware store gun.

Fred Perreault
03-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Norm,
Do you use hot glue to attach blocks for faceplates?

Norm Zax
03-27-2010, 2:05 PM
Nope Fred. Too wary of flying saucers, but I secure jam chucks and also do some flat work with the gun.
Malcolm - thanks. Still tempted by the higher Ws.

alex carey
03-27-2010, 2:28 PM
As a product of consumerism I'd go for at least the 100W. Who needs to sit around waiting for glue to warm up or to be hindered by how fast you can use the glue.