PDA

View Full Version : Broke My #7 Frog

Matt Van Heiden
03-26-2010, 11:05 PM
I accidentally dropped my Stanley #7, type 9, frog and broke it so I need a new one. My question is, will a type 10 thru 15 frog fit this type 9? What other planes have the same width as a #7? I think a 5 1/4 and 6 do, any other ones? Besides ebay, does anyone know online parts stores to try? Thanks for any responses

Johnny Kleso
03-27-2010, 12:52 AM
Type 9
1902-1907

Frog receiver undergoes a major redesign. (This is the frog that is I still used today in all Baliey Models) From here on make the best user type planes in my opinion.. This Type can be picked up cheaper than a Type 10 and is only missing the frog adjusting screw that you seldom use.. A smaller bearing surface is now cast into the bed, toward the tote. Two circular bosses, to receive the screws are located just ahead of this bearing surface, toward the mouth. A rib runs from the mouth to bearing surface, over which the frog rests. This is to align the frog laterally, to keep it square to the sides of the plane, and, thus, make the iron parallel to the mouth. The frog has a slot at its bottom (the portion nearest the mouth) to fit over the rib cast in the bed.

"B" casting marks on Bed and Frog eliminated.

No patent date is found on the lateral lever.

"BAILEY" now cast into to toe, as homage to the inventor of Stanley's cash cow. The number designation is now cast just behind the knob.

The original type study doesn't mention this - It's about this time that the brass nuts used to secure the knob and tote to the rods undergo a change. They now have a waist to them whereas the earlier ones are cylindrical over their length.

No. 7,6 and 4 1/2 have the same size frogs and very new 5 1/2's

If you can't fint one I'm pretty sure I have one that will fit maybe even a T9 but I have to remember to check

email me if you want me to look..

Jim Koepke
03-27-2010, 1:00 AM
The later type frogs should fit. There may be a change during type 9 where the later frogs will fit all the planes, but the earlier frogs will not fit all the type 9s.

I have not seen enough of these to know a lot of these details. If the width was off, at worst you may have a bit of filing to do. If the rib clearance is short on the frog and the rib is tall on the plane, there may be a problem that a file can not fix.

Had to do some filing just recently when putting an early frog on a later plane.

jim

James Carmichael
03-27-2010, 5:00 PM
I've been using a #7 Type 9 with the top of the frog broken off for years. Hard to find a frog that matches.

Zach Dillinger
03-28-2010, 12:52 PM
I accidentally dropped my Stanley #7, type 9, frog and broke it so I need a new one. My question is, will a type 10 thru 15 frog fit this type 9? What other planes have the same width as a #7? I think a 5 1/4 and 6 do, any other ones? Besides ebay, does anyone know online parts stores to try? Thanks for any responses

Matt, I might have one for you. Let me know if you need me to check.

Zach
zacharydillinger@gmail.com