PDA

View Full Version : Teacher's pen...

Brian Greb
03-26-2010, 10:53 PM
This is my first teacher's pen... and I do believe it maybe my last. It was definitely a learning experience. I found out that my pen mandrel is slightly out of whack... wee bit of wobble. Guess I'll get a new one on my next trip to Woodcraft.;) N-e-way... It's body is mesquite, the blue end is maple burl, and the red is bloodwood.

David E Keller
03-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Nice job... I'm not sure I'm crazy about the style of the teacher's kit, but the color combo is nice.

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Good looking pen Brian. I have made a bunch of those.

Brian Greb
03-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Nice job... I'm not sure I'm crazy about the style of the teacher's kit, but the color combo is nice.

I agree... I don't like the style either that's why I did not use the brass center rings that came in the kit. This let me make a fatter body with a better feel. Not my cup of tea but, I made this one as a gift for a client, so there you have it.

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2010, 11:39 PM
When it comes to pens - this sure is different. Nice work and I do like the colors!

John Keeton
03-27-2010, 6:42 AM
Brian, I agree on the style, not a favorite, but you did a very nice job with the colors and craftsmanship.

I hate that on your mandrel. I don't do pens, and I am sure you probably know this, since you do - but I understand that a 60* center is preferred and not much pressure on the mandrel.

Mac Carlton
03-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Brian, I agree on the style, not a favorite, but you did a very nice job with the colors and craftsmanship.

I hate that on your mandrel. I don't do pens, and I am sure you probably know this, since you do - but I understand that a 60* center is preferred and not much pressure on the mandrel.

Not only is a 60 degree live center preferred it is a must to fit into the 60 degree concaved mandrel end. Other wise you get a wobble and mess up a mandrel and the stock live center that comes with your lathe. I know I did it.

Curt Fuller
03-28-2010, 12:50 AM
If that would have been for my teacher, it would have only needed the red end!;)

My sister is a school teacher. I should make one of those for her.

Allen Neighbors
03-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Not only is a 60 degree live center preferred it is a must to fit into the 60 degree concaved mandrel end. Other wise you get a wobble and mess up a mandrel and the stock live center that comes with your lathe. I know I did it.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have one of those 'mandrel saver' live centers from PSI. I may get a chance to turn something with it some time this week. I just got back to my home, but haven't got anything unloaded yet.
I don't know how well it will work, but it's supposed to put the pressure on the bushings, and not on the mandrel.
BTW, Brian, I like your design on this pen. I haven't turned one yet. May not, after reading your posts. :)