PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried this jointer knife setter?

Tullie Templet
03-26-2010, 10:37 PM
http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/resources/instructions-planer-knife-setting-gage.html

If so what is you review on them?

Rick Lizek
03-27-2010, 8:12 AM
They work just fine. It's actually a planer knife gauge. To use it on a jointer you have to lower both your tables down. For a jointer you might find a Oneway gauge easier or you could make a Oneway from a block of wood and a $15 indicator from Enco or Wholesale Tool. Get the 1/2" flat button tip as well.

Myk Rian
03-27-2010, 8:23 AM
I've tried indicators that I made special jigs for, setting gauges, and a couple other methods. The one that I find to work best is a ruler on the outfeed table. Adjust the knives so they slide the ruler 1/8", and lock em down.

David DeCristoforo
03-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Myk nailed it since the knives need to be tangent to the outfeed table anyway. The only thing I do differently is to set the knives so that they just "kiss" the bottom edge of the ruler. This way, you are setting both the knives and the outfeed table at the same time.

Bruce Wrenn
03-27-2010, 9:20 PM
I have a couple of Grizzly 6" jointers. Using the jig from Grizzly that rests on the cutter head is useless. The axis of the cutter head isn't parallel to the surface of the out feed table. Yeah, I know I could shim it in place, but why? Just set the knives to the surface of the out feed table.