PDA

View Full Version : Rotten Chestnut follow-up

Mitchell Andrus
03-26-2010, 9:49 PM
In our last episode we examined the state of the wood supplied for 2 projects to be placed in a museum as stand-ins for otherwise unobtainable originals. These are not tough pieces to make, just bookcases that will weigh a ton. The chestnut is in horrible condition and the board of directors, being made aware of the situation, has rendered a decision after seeing the shots I posted.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/missionfurnishings/FarmsChestnut#

Use it. Patch up what you can.

At least.... use as much of it as I can and let them know how far short I'll fall after setting aside the pieces that just won't work.

I don't think in this case a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm going to have to drop a few hunks off so they can see for themselves that all of the 5/4 is riddled with worm holes and nail holes and rot, and most of the 3/4 stuff is twisted, warped or cupped. It'll need to be surfaced down to 1/2 inch or so and still won't be straight.

I was told to do what I can and let 'em know how it's going.

Ever get your boot stuck in the mud so bad you can't get your foot out without leaving the boot behind? Counting design, proposals, spreadsheets and pick-sheets, the great wood safari, endless phone calls and emails, I've got 12 hours into this stupid job so far. I can see 12 more just getting to the point that I can start to cut joinery, that's AFTER somebody finds another load of rotten wood to work from.

I need a hug.

Jim Becker
03-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Hmmm...sometimes you have to go and fire the customer when things just aren't going to allow you to do the quality of work that you are known for. What will the professional repercussions be for you if folks equate your work with how this project sounds like it's going to turn out?

Jaze Derr
03-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Sending you a nice, warm, squishy hug!

(i do good hugs)

Van Huskey
03-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Not a pro woodworker but have been there done that in my real life. I think it may be time to seriously consider getting out. It is going to require a lot more work than you thought and at least in your mind will never be up to your standards.

Gary Breckenridge
03-27-2010, 12:17 AM
I remember a boss I had. When I told the boss we were short on materials, short on time and short on finances and there was no way we could do the project. "Just think of it as a challenge." Well it didn't work and we all felt like spitting in the boss's face.:mad:

John Coloccia
03-27-2010, 7:54 AM
You know, I think I'd have to put my foot down on this one and tell them to either get reasonable materials or get someone else to do it. I agree with a previous poster that the last thing you need is "Created by artisan Mitchell Andrus" on decrepit pieces that you don't feel is representative of your work.

It would be far better to create these pieces out of some other wood, stained to look like antique chestnut.

Michael Schwartz
03-27-2010, 9:15 AM
Ash, or Red Oak are so cheap that I would still try to talk them into going with the original plan. They could still use the chestnut for something else that is more rustic to please the donor.