PDA

View Full Version : Universal Help

Nicole Hernandez
03-26-2010, 9:33 PM
Hi have a M-300 and bought a new laptop..... because my old one didn't bounce when it fell off the counter. Anyway this new laptop doesn't have a serial cable port like my old one so that is problem one. I bought a usb to serial adapter but it doesn't read it the same. Second, I have the older version of Photograv which has worked fine for me and I haven't felt the need to upgrade but the new computer has Windows 7 and photograv wont' load into it. I am assuming that there is nothing I can do there except pay for the upgrade.

I will call tech support on Monday but thought one of you brilliant people might know how to remedy at least problem one... as in the age of instant gratification... I don't want to wait til Monday to play with my laser. :)))

Thanks in advance .

Dave Johnson29
03-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Hi Nicole,

This should help you install PG...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

As to serial interface, does the new computer have a PCMCIA slot? It is a slot about 2" wide and 3/16" high with a pop-out button to one side. There may be two of them in the same hole so it will be 3/8" high and two buttons.

Next go online and find a PCMCIA card serial adapter. That should emulate the serial port exactly. Use the following in a google search for a bunch...

pcmcia serial card

If there is no PCMCIA slot, I am not sure what you c an do for that. You may find a USB to serial adapter that will work, but it will be the luck of the draw.

One thing I just thought of, did any software come with the USB/Serial? If so, did you run it BEFORE plugging in the USB device? If so then remove that USB assignment (you will need a computer geek) then run the software and finally plug the USB device in.

If windows can't find the exact driver for a USB device it uses a generic one that it thinks is close. By installing the software first, windows will have the correct driver for it when you plug it in.

Mike Mackenzie
03-29-2010, 3:06 PM
Nicole,

You need the parallel / usb adapter google Belkin parallel to USB adapters.