PDA

View Full Version : Kuster Rebuild

Reggie Kruszewski
03-26-2010, 8:46 PM
This is my first post to this forum but I have been lurking for a while. I recently bought an old Kuster 36" double drum sander. I have searched and read up on all of the problems but it was cheap ($450), I have done a bunch of machinery rebuilding and I love a challange:). I figured for the price - - - the drums, 5hp motor, frame and conveyor were worth it even if I ended up doing a complete rebuild.

The main complaints I found were slipping belts, underpowered, poor dust collection and one speed feed conveyor.

Based on new models I have looked at 5hp is just not enough - - most are 7.5hp or 10hp. I am considering installing a second 5hp motor, one on each drum and using cogged belts to stop any slipping. My question is would there be a problem with rotating the drums in different directions? I think if I have the drums running with both feeding the dust to the middle it would be easier to collect the dust and also would balance the pull on the board.

Before I take the leap and give it a try I thought I would ask if anyone can think of reasons not to try this.

Thanks for your help,
Reggie