PDA

View Full Version : sand pine and live oak

Robert gree
03-26-2010, 8:17 PM
We have an abundance of Sand pine and Live oak around me and im just about finished with my Chainsaw mill.

How are these trees as lumber?

Scott T Smith
03-26-2010, 9:06 PM
I can't speak to Sand Pine, but Live Oak is usually not a good choice for milling. There is a tremendous amout of stress within the wood, and it tends to move quite a bit while drying.

For that matter, it's rare that you see a nice, straight and long live oak log.

Jamie Buxton
03-26-2010, 10:13 PM
The answer might depend on where you live. The name Live Oak gets applied to several different species.

Robert gree
03-27-2010, 12:31 AM
im located in central FL,

i wanted to mill the oak in 2"-4" slabs and use as table tops and such

Jamie Buxton
03-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Your live oak is probably quercus virginiana. It typically has a short trunk, and big branches that run horizontally for a ways and then bend upwards. That upward bend was very valuable in the days of wooden ships. Shipbuilders made ribs for ships from them. However, getting straight lumber from branches doesn't work very well. Because branches grow horizontally, they have compression on the bottom side and tension on the upper side. That reaction wood tends to bend and twist the wood when you rip it.

Howard Acheson
03-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Niether are good for producing lumber for furniture. The "sand pine" will be full of knots and may have little straight wood due to the twisted way it grows.

Live oak also has few straight areas and most often will have highly stressed wood which is very difficult to work with.

Robert gree
03-27-2010, 6:33 PM
so basically its not worth my time milling. I need to pick up a book about local trees so i know what we have here

Neal Clayton
03-28-2010, 3:22 AM
as for softwoods, you'll of course have plenty of cypress, if you don't mind getting your feet wet to get at it ;). maybe some longleaf pine depending on where exactly you are (large pine trees that tend to be very straight, without many low branches). also probably some decent sized red cedar trees.

as for hardwoods, erm, if florida is like south louisiana, and i don't see why it wouldn't be...probably kinda sparse.

Robert gree
03-31-2010, 9:05 PM
as for softwoods, you'll of course have plenty of cypress, if you don't mind getting your feet wet to get at it ;). maybe some longleaf pine depending on where exactly you are (large pine trees that tend to be very straight, without many low branches). also probably some decent sized red cedar trees.

as for hardwoods, erm, if florida is like south louisiana, and i don't see why it wouldn't be...probably kinda sparse.

Have lots of long needle pines< (i assume there the same) the needles are about a foot long and thats the trees leaves,

SO basically live oak and the sand pine are worthless? but the long needle pine is fine?

Henry Ambrose
03-31-2010, 10:01 PM
We have an abundance of Sand pine and Live oak around me and im just about finished with my Chainsaw mill.

How are these trees as lumber?

You just need to cut some and see what you get. It might be short lengths, its might warp a little but if its free wood its worth having a go at it. Just because a wood is not commercially desirable does not mean its worthless. Just because its not 10 foot long and clear does not mean it might not make a great 5 foot long table top. I find that wood that a commercial mill turns down can be very very good and you usually can't buy it if you wanted to. After you cut some make up your own mind.

I cut a bunch of oak yesterday that was left from a logging operation at my request. It was destined for the chipper. Instead I now have some 33" wide slabs that are beautiful.