PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3.6.2 !!!!

Matt Meiser
03-26-2010, 7:21 PM
<rant>

The other day I tried to use my Paypal plugin and it wouldn't work. So I went to another computer, same thing. Then I noticed my GotoMeeting won't work on my work laptop. It keeps saying I need to download the software, I do, install, and nothing. Then it keeps downloading a Java add-on update every time I start it, which requires a restart, which says its disabling Java, which requires a restart, which downloads a Java add-on update....

Finally I did a little looking on the Paypal plugin and find all sorts of complaints about the same problem. Downloaded and installed 3.5.8 and everything's fine.

Plus on more than one computer I find that Firefox seems to crash more and more often.

I can't believe it, but I'm seriously considering switching back to IE!

</rant>

Bruce Page
03-26-2010, 8:00 PM
Matt, I'm running 3.6.2 and I'm not having any problems with PayPal.

Myk Rian
03-26-2010, 8:37 PM
I'm also running 3.6.?
It doesn't want to close at times.

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2010, 8:41 PM
I'm running the latest update ... 3.6.2 and haven't experienced any problems - but I do not have a pay-pal plug-in.

paul cottingham
03-26-2010, 8:43 PM
Friends don't let friends use IE.

Try using a new profile.

Shawn Pixley
03-26-2010, 8:44 PM
Sorry mine works fine. In fact it seem rock solid.

Russ Filtz
03-26-2010, 8:57 PM
My 3.6.2 update keeps failing, then it auto downloads a "full install", and then the new install fails too! Something is really wrong with this update.

Mitchell Andrus
03-26-2010, 9:22 PM
3.6.2 runs fine in NJ. Maybe you got sunspots in MI.

...just a guess....

Todd Franks
03-26-2010, 9:34 PM
I went to install 3.6.x and it warns me that my IE tab plug-in does not work with 3.6.x. I begrudgingly use IE tab from time to time because some websites (mostly work related) don't work with Firefox. Maybe your PayPal plugin suffers the same issue. I've heard too many problems with 3.6.x. I'm staying at 3.5.x until the general consensus improves on 3.6.

I would stick with 3.5.8 or give Opera a try before I moved to IE:eek:.

Matt Meiser
03-26-2010, 9:52 PM
Matt, I'm running 3.6.2 and I'm not having any problems with PayPal.

Paypal, or the Paypal Plug-in? I use the latter to make purchase on the web with a 1-time use Mastercard number, plus I like the form-filler. Regular Paypal worked but you can't generate the Mastercard number there. I used IE successfully a couple times.

It has worked relatively well as long as I don't want to use any add-ons. The GotoMeeting issue was a major problem. BTW, this is on 3 computers, 1 XP, 1 Vista, 1 Windows 7. The XP has different virus software than the other two. Its definitely a Firefox issue.

paul cottingham
03-26-2010, 10:50 PM
I would stick with 3.5.8 or give Opera a try before I moved to IE:eek:.

I think I would go to lynx (a text only browser) before i would go back to IE.

:)

David G Baker
03-26-2010, 11:20 PM
I tried Firefox for a few months and had problems closing the program as well as using the opened Firefox after I switched to IE for something that required IE to function. I put up with the problem for a while then dumped Firefox and returned exclusively to IE. I searched on line for a fix but found that quite a few other people had the same problem.

Wes Grass
03-26-2010, 11:21 PM
"Friends don't let friends use IE"

I thought that was 'friends don't *make* friends use Paypal'?

paul cottingham
03-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Firefox is standards compliant. IE is not. There is a plugin that make firefox stop being standards compliant so it is more like IE. Then those pages that only look right in ie will render "properly."

Bryan Morgan
03-27-2010, 1:16 AM
Plus on more than one computer I find that Firefox seems to crash more and more often.

I can't believe it, but I'm seriously considering switching back to IE!

Try Opera. I have to use different browsers on my machine for testing code and Opera just always seems to work. Many of my switches and servers I administer have java interfaces. Firefox sucks with java. Well, java sucks all by itself but Opera seems to handle it better than the others. (I actually have a big no java! sign over my desk at work, the red circle with the line through it :) )

Chris Kennedy
03-27-2010, 6:40 AM
I recently have started having problems with Firefox on my work machine. I cannot seem to print out of Firefox. We also had some problems with it at home. We went to Chrome on the home machine, and I think it is better.

Cheers,

Chris

Dave Johnson29
03-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Guys,

I would seriously doubt any of the aforementioned problems are really Firefox's (FF) fault.

I have been a member of the Firefox forums for many years and I have yet to see a problem that could not be solved.

Start here...
http:// forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38 (remove space after // after copying to browser)

Also the most common problem is the incompatibility with other stuff installed on the computer. At the head of that list is anti-virus software followed a close second by poorly written FF add-ins.

The way to start finding the problem is to run FF is Safe Mode, turn off antivirus stuff for the test and then try and replicate the problem. Work your way forward form there.

Do some searching and reading on the above forum and you will eventually solve the FF issues and be able to lay the blame in the correct quarter.

You are blaming the faucet for the water tasting funny.

Myk Rian
03-27-2010, 11:16 AM
I've been using FF for many years, starting with ver. 1. This is the first upgrade that has caused me problems.

Dave Johnson29
03-27-2010, 12:17 PM
I've been using FF for many years, starting with ver. 1. This is the first upgrade that has caused me problems.

Myk,

My comments still stand and I too have been using it for a loooong time and am using 3.6.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Have you disabled any active antivirus and anti-malware programs?

If it does not give problems in Safe Mode then run it normally with the firewall, antivirus and antimalware still disabled. Disable all of the Add-ins and check again. If it still OK, then Enable one add-in at a time until the problem appears.

If it doesn't appear, enable one of the firewall, antivirus or antimalware things at a time. I am sure you will find it is within those options.

Chuck Wintle
03-27-2010, 1:12 PM
Myk,

My comments still stand and I too have been using it for a loooong time and am using 3.6.

If it does not give problems in Safe Mode then run it normally with the firewall, antivirus and antimalware still disabled. Disable all of the Add-ins and check again. If it still OK, then Enable one add-in at a time until the problem appears.

If it doesn't appear, enable one of the firewall, antivirus or antimalware things at a time. I am sure you will find it is within those options.

really, I think FF should work straight out of the box and not require users to go into troubleshooting mode to make it work. This is the job of the developers ans it makes me think there are some new programmers at mozilla who are not on their game yet! :D JMO

Myk Rian
03-27-2010, 2:06 PM
Absolutely nothing changed, except for the new version of FF. Nothing.
Wish I still had OS/2 installed.

Myk,

Paul Ryan
03-27-2010, 2:12 PM
I dont know what the fuss is about with firefox. I started using it latley because it seems like the "cool" thing to do. Everyone is doing it man. But personally I cant stand it. I think it is much slower than IE 8. The only thing I like about firefox is the built in spell checker. Which if you read enough of my posts, you know I drastically need.

Kent A Bathurst
03-27-2010, 2:23 PM
........I'm seriously considering switching back to IE!

If the Dark Lord of All PC Computing (informally known as Bill Gates) had wanted you to use Firefox on your PC, he would have had it shipped to you already installed.

I gave up all attempts to swim against that tide many years ago.

Dave Johnson29
03-27-2010, 4:20 PM
really, I think FF should work straight out of the box

It does for around 99% of the users. The problem is with the ancillary stuff loaded by the individual computer owner. Often stuff is not installed correctly or configured correctly and it prevents FF from doing it's job. Because the user sees FF is not working it is therefore FF's fault.

The add-ins are chosen and installed by the user. When you update to a newer version of FF, it will check for appropriate updates to the add-ins and fetch and install them. If the add-in has been badly written, and/or not updated, it may stay in place. A warning is issued that there is no update but it is up to the user to remove it.

FF comes with just one add-in and that's for reporting back details in the unlikely event of a crash caused BY FF. Since that add-in is written by the FF developers I can say with certainty it will not be causing any problems.

As to new developers it would not matter. The requirements are very clearly defined and every component is checked and tested at three seperate levels before being included in the nightly build. I was on the v2 team many years back.

Anyway, to each his own. I know I much prefer using FF and NoScript add-in than any other browser out there. One could surf the worst of sites with complete impunity. That can't be said of any other browser, Macs included.

Dave Johnson29
03-27-2010, 4:25 PM
Absolutely nothing changed, except for the new version of FF. Nothing.

But Myk, have you done the things I suggested. It could be an add-in that has been written to not let FF check for appropriate versions. That or worse, one of your add-ins may be over riding the version checking. That allows an older add-in to run in a new version of FF than it may be appropriate.

The result is FF messes up, not because if FF itself but the bad add-in causing internal ructions.

Using OS/2 would make no difference.

David Cefai
03-27-2010, 5:51 PM
Firefos 3.6.2 does not need the Java consoles. I assume you are running windows. At some time in the update cycles mentioned you will probably see a LOT of java consoles installed. Uninstall them all.

Can't help any more right now as I don't have access to a Windows machine with 3.6.2 on it.

David Cefai
03-27-2010, 5:56 PM
Firefox 3.6.2 does not need the Java consoles. I assume you are running windows. At some time in the update cycles mentioned you will probably see a LOT of java consoles installed. Uninstall them all.

Can't help any more right now as I don't have access to a Windows machine with 3.6.2 on it.

Matt Meiser
03-27-2010, 6:41 PM
That's what it says. It also says its going to either disable or remove it, can't remember which. But it doesn't.

The PP Plugin Issue is widespread--lots of Google hits on it. Once I found that I gave up on even looking into the GotoMeeting issue and reverted.

Jon Lanier
03-27-2010, 7:51 PM
No problems here with Paypal plug in... or anything else.