PDA

View Full Version : got a new bandsaw

brian watts
03-26-2010, 7:04 PM
wanted to post me new toy....:D...order the saw monday and it got here today after lunch . i left work and come home to start working on it. by 5 it was all done . not that bad at all to put together. thanks for looking brian

Michael Wildt
03-26-2010, 8:49 PM
Cool, nice machine. Congrats!!

Bruce Page
03-26-2010, 8:53 PM
Congrats Brian. A lot of people love that saw!

Jim Rimmer
03-26-2010, 9:01 PM
After you've used can you post a short review. That saw is on my wish list (at the top). Congrats on getting it.

brian watts
03-26-2010, 9:57 PM
After you've used can you post a short review. That saw is on my wish list (at the top). Congrats on getting it.

yes sir i will for sure. i have about 2 truck load of wood. maple ,box elder,hedge apple,going to get cherry in the morning. after i get it all cut up . then i post pic and review on the saw.

Mike Cruz
03-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Looks like a substantial piece of purplheart you've got there... Enjoy cuttin' her up! Sanding her may not be as fun....

brian watts
03-27-2010, 7:56 PM
well i need alittle HELP. i got though 6 peice of pear about 8" round with the blade that came with the riser kit . then i got a log of hedge apple 6-8" round i got started to cut then it broke . what BLADE do i need to resawing log and stuff. i donot need a smooth cut because iam just trying to block all of my wood . hope some one can help me out . i have look at the timberwolf and woodslicer. what one do you like the best? and what size 1/2" or 3/4" ?? thanks brian

Neil Brooks
03-27-2010, 8:02 PM
You got yourself a GREAT saw!!

Enjoy!!!

Wood Slicer for resaw.

TimberWolf for everything else.

Have fun!!

Terry Hatfield
03-27-2010, 8:07 PM
Congrats on the saw. Looks like you put it right to the test.

t

brian watts
03-27-2010, 8:10 PM
WOULD 3/4" BE BETTER for cutting logs ??

Van Huskey
well i need alittle HELP. i got though 6 peice of pear about 8" round with the blade that came with the riser kit . then i got a log of hedge apple 6-8" round i got started to cut then it broke . what BLADE do i need to resawing log and stuff. i donot need a smooth cut because iam just trying to block all of my wood . hope some one can help me out . i have look at the timberwolf and woodslicer. what one do you like the best? thanks brian

Although I am a long time fan of the woodslicer I recently tried some of these and I find them cheaper and just as good.

http://www.spectrumsupply.com/kerfmaster.aspx

They also have a 4 blade sample pack that would be about $50 for your saw.

Stephen Edwards
I've been very pleased with the Timber Wolf 1/2" 3 TPI for resawing on a G0555X. Congrats on your saw! I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years.

Van Huskey
03-27-2010, 8:14 PM
WOULD 3/4" BE BETTER for cutting logs ??

Well yes and no. The wider blade is better for resawing logs BUT only if you can properly tension the 3/4" blade. I know some people have had good luck with 3/4" blades on that saw but I really think you are pushing it and don't think you are getting near the needed 15,000 PSI, but a thinner kerf blade like I mentioned will help that. I would suggest a 5/8" blade for better resaw and easier to get full tension.

Terry Hatfield
03-27-2010, 8:30 PM
well i need alittle HELP. i got though 6 peice of pear about 8" round with the blade that came with the riser kit . then i got a log of hedge apple 6-8" round i got started to cut then it broke . what BLADE do i need to resawing log and stuff. i donot need a smooth cut because iam just trying to block all of my wood . hope some one can help me out . i have look at the timberwolf and woodslicer. what one do you like the best? and what size 1/2" or 3/4" ?? thanks brian

I'd thing it would be hard to beat a 1/2" 3 tpi Timberwolf for the saw you have and what you are doing with it. As stated before, it might be tough to properly tension a 3/4" blade on that saw and I'd bet that a 1/2" blade would do just fine.

BTW...the blade that comes with the saw isn't very good so don't be disheartened with the saw because of that blade. Get some good blades and you'll see an amazing difference.

t

brian watts
03-27-2010, 8:35 PM
I'd thing it would be hard to beat a 1/2" 3 tpi Timberwolf for the saw you have and what you are doing with it. As stated before, it might be tough to properly tension a 3/4" blade on that saw and I'd bet that a 1/2" blade would do just fine.

BTW...the blade that comes with the saw isn't very good so don't be disheartened with the saw because of that blade. Get some good blades and you'll see an amazing difference.

t

thanks you all for the help .. love this place.:D..yea i got down abit after i broke the blade today .with just cutting a few logs .my day was done after that. iam new to a saw this size and the boss didnot know why i need a new blade all ready. i will let her see this post so she can see what you all are saying about the blade that came with the kit. again thank alot brian

Neil Brooks
03-27-2010, 8:40 PM
BTW...the blade that comes with the saw isn't very good

I don't think it's anywhere near good enough to be called "not very good."

:D

I assume the manufacturers ... wisely ... don't try to guess what your primary use for the saw will be, and that the owner is the best judge of which blade best suits their needs.

It's probably NOT a good investment to try to put a top-notch, fairly expensive blade on these things, knowing that a good % of buyers will likely want to swap it out, anyway.

But ... yeah: the OEM blade on my G0555X had trouble cutting room-temperature butter :p

Terry Hatfield
03-27-2010, 8:43 PM
I don't think it's anywhere near good enough to be called "not very good."

:D

Just trying to be PC you know. :D Shiraz does hang around here.

Van Huskey
03-27-2010, 9:10 PM
thanks you all for the help .. love this place.:D..yea i got down abit after i broke the blade today .with just cutting a few logs .my day was done after that. iam new to a saw this size and the boss didnot know why i need a new blade all ready. i will let her see this post so she can see what you all are saying about the blade that came with the kit. again thank alot brian

Most blades that ship with bandsaws are there to hold everything stable in transit than to saw anything once it arrives. Case in point most nicer table saws don't even come with a blade.

brian watts
03-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Most blades that ship with bandsaws are there to hold everything stable in transit than to saw anything once it arrives. Case in point most nicer table saws don't even come with a blade.

they should have kept the blade and not send it with the saw . so i would not got mad about breaking it today..:D

Bruce Page
03-27-2010, 10:49 PM
they should have kept the blade and not send it with the saw . so i would not got mad about breaking it today..:D

Not a big loss, and motivation to order some good ones. Even the blades that came with my Mini-Max were junk.

brian watts
03-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Looks like a substantial piece of purplheart you've got there... Enjoy cuttin' her up! Sanding her may not be as fun....
a old timer give me the wood to make him a call out of and i can kept the rest.. pretty good deal

Myk Rian
03-28-2010, 8:00 AM
Make sure you cut the wood straight. Don't move the wood sideways as you cut it.

Rick Vincent
03-28-2010, 1:16 PM
Go to Highland Hardware they have some for what you want I think.

brian watts
03-28-2010, 9:32 PM
well i went to woodcrafters and got the (Timber Wolf Bandsaw Blade 1/2” x 105”, 3 TPI) and that blade should have been with the kit. i just cut a some maple log about 7" or so thick and CUT like butter. iam happy now .just had to spend 30 more bucks. hope it last awhile. i still need a (2 HP Industrial 5 Micron Dust Collector) from HF.but that have to wait for a few months . the BOSS getting mad for me spending all this money..lol.hope by mid summer i can get it. THANKS EVERYBODY for the help..brian

Stephen Edwards
03-28-2010, 10:07 PM
When you're ready to buy more blades you can buy the TW blades directly from Suffolk Machinery and save some money! They usually have a buy 3 get 1 free deal. Of course, you'll have to spend more money to save money:D

Leo Vogel
03-28-2010, 11:49 PM
Brian - I use my vacuum with a reducer on that saw and it works great.