PDA

View Full Version : Something different

Brian Greb
03-26-2010, 6:43 PM
I was tinkering around in the shop... and I had an idea "how about an airbrush dye finish on a highly figured maple box" I said to my self. Now I had the idea first I had to make the box and finish it. Some fancy airbrush work and done... then I had to fill the jaw recess on the top. So I made a disk out of veneer and some scraps of maple and yellow-heart. All and all a pretty simple project just time consuming it took me the 3 days to make this one.:) I think it turned out well... but what to name it? What do y'all think?

btw: this box was split on the band-saw before turning... after that I only used the lathe and lathe accessories, it was a personal challenge.:D

Baxter Smith
03-26-2010, 7:43 PM
That is a very neat looking box!

John Tomasello jr
03-26-2010, 8:20 PM
WOW that is different looks good

John Keeton
03-26-2010, 8:29 PM
Really interesting use of the dye and veneers! Did you hand cut the arcs of the veneer and then inlay them?

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2010, 8:34 PM
I like it Brian. Really nicely done. I just bought my airbrush so hopefully will get to do some experimenting.

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2010, 9:00 PM
Very impressive box Brian! Good form and quite the variety in color!

Names can be a challenge - but my first thought was 'Chameleon' because of all the color variations!

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Brian Greb
03-26-2010, 9:14 PM
Really interesting use of the dye and veneers! Did you hand cut the arcs of the veneer and then inlay them?

John,
I cut the arcs on an eccentric turning plate using a mini parting tool, then inlaid the veneer. After completing one set of arcs I turned the blank 90 degrees and cut another set. After I inlaid all of the veneers I then turned the disc on it's center.

I plan on doing a plate this way when I do, I'll post step but step instructions on the technique(I have to figure out how to put my pictures in the text field). So look for that in the near future.

Jeff Fagen
03-26-2010, 9:21 PM
Oriental exotic!

Roland Martin
03-26-2010, 9:33 PM
Wow Brian, that takes quite some thought. Very nice work on this box, from the inlay work, form & colors. Being a product of the sixties, I'd have to call the "Tie-dyed box"

David E Keller
03-26-2010, 9:52 PM
Very colorful. Curly maple is a perfect coloring wood IMO.

The detail on the lid insert is really nice. I'll file that away for future projects of my own.

GLENN THOMAS
03-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Brian,

I don't know what to say about your box other than WOW !!!! That looks like it should be on the cover of a magazine. You have inspired me to dust off my airbrush and see what happens. Does the figure in that wood have that 3D quality when the lights hit it just right?

Again very nice!!!

GT

Brian Greb
03-26-2010, 10:41 PM
Brian,

I don't know what to say about your box other than WOW !!!! That looks like it should be on the cover of a magazine. You have inspired me to dust off my airbrush and see what happens. Does the figure in that wood have that 3D quality when the lights hit it just right?

Again very nice!!!

GT

Thanks Glenn,
Yes the figure does have that 3D effect, and I highlighted it by doing a guitar style finish.

Here's how that goes... if any one else wants to give it a whirl.

I dyed the bowl black then sanded it back leaving the black in the exposed grain, then I hit it with the air brush. I sprayed the yellow first then shot it blue from the bottom to get that fade. then to bring out the wild 2 coats of ultra blond shellac, 2 coats of water borne acrylic lacquer, and topped it off with a friction polish. I didn't get the gloss I wanted but there's always the next one.

Frank Van Atta
03-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Very innovative piece; nicely done.